Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any issues with heat? I’ve had this car for a few weeks and originally I had no heat and they replaced the thermostat and found a coolant leak. Now I’ve noticed I get heat on the driver’s side but not the passenger side. Feels stupid to ask but I know the passenger airbags deactivate if nobody is sitting in that seat. Does the heat also do that if nobody is sitting there?

·
Registered
842 Posts
The 1.6T takes a while to warm up and doesn't warm up while idling, you actually have to be driving for a while for it to warm up.

But other than that, I don't think very many people are having issues with heat not coming out from the passenger side, at least I don't remember seeing that on the forum.

Heat should also not be effected by no passenger on the right side. I drive by myself and don't have that issue, however, if might have the dual zone climate control, I have the simple controls.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Tuscon gives off no heat. Enjoy your drives that span hours in the car with a warm breath blowing out at you. Layer up if your from Canada. They know about the issue but claim nothing can be dome to fix it. I took the Kona for a rip the other day with the same engine and drive line and the heat gets to unconformable high levels and has to be turned down.....wish my Tuscon was like that.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
That's ridiculous....take it to the dealer. it's under warranty...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
On my first drive in cold weather, I can attest the heater works just fine. I have the SEL with the 2.0L

·
Registered
844 Posts
...They know about the issue but claim nothing can be dome to fix it...
Find a different dealer. Any dealer can handle warranty issues. Also, if they are really telling you this, you should consider complaining about them to Hyundai regional office.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The Tuscon gives off no heat. Enjoy your drives that span hours in the car with a warm breath blowing out at you. Layer up if your from Canada. They know about the issue but claim nothing can be dome to fix it. I took the Kona for a rip the other day with the same engine and drive line and the heat gets to unconformable high levels and has to be turned down.....wish my Tuscon was like that.
What's the temperature outside where you're at?? After 20 minutes of driving, even at -18C to -12C my car had plenty of heat last winter. However, if you're driving all city traffic at slower speeds, you might not get the best heat from the car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
With my 2017 SE 2.0L, any drive less than 20 minutes at temps below 40f is like driving with no heat. Doesn't matter if I left he car warm up for 30 minutes and make sure the temp gauge is at normal temp. This is the only car I've owned over 30 years that is like this.

Also, the setting for "floor" is no different than for "top of dash". I actually borrowed a wind meter to confirm. Sadly, even in the manual it states that most airflow will come out of the top of the dash. If I had know this when selecting the vehicle, I wouldn't have done so.

I now drive about 40 miles one way to work. Near the end of my drive, massive amounts of heat is coming out. Mostly above my waist, but still enough that I have to turn the dial to about 11 o'clock and turn down the fan setting to 1.

Hopefully my feet won't freeze this Winter when Ohio gets below 10f.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I didn't think the 2.0L had issues with heat, I thought it was only the 1.6T???

In my 1.6T idling doesn't heat up the engine at all, doesn't matter how long you idle it. This is normal for the 1.6T, it doesn't produce heat until you drive for a bit. At urban/suburban speeds, it's like 10-20 minutes to warm up while driving. On the highway, it warms up very quickly, like 5-10 minutes. This is at sub 10f temperatures.

Perhaps, you should run your stopwatch on your phone, and take note of exactly how many minutes until it feels lukewarm, then the needle of the engine up to operating temp, then the temperature is comfortable enough to turn the dial back. 40 minutes is far too long at just under 40F, that's insane. You could have a problem with the thermostat system, or ducting system, or how coolant flows from the heater core into the cabin.

If the needle of the temp gauge gets up to operating temp quickly, but you're not getting much cabin heat then it's probably an issue with the heater core or how it flows into your cabin, or the ducting system.

If the needle is taking forever to get up to operating temp, then perhaps your thermostat won't close properly.

Those are some things to take note of, then go back to the dealer with. I'm assuming that they think you're complaining about the long warmup period. Which they get complaints about all the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The warm up time at idle is non existent as you described but that's not the real issue. The issue is heat output. Its just warm. Drive constant for 3 + hours and its still just warm. Temp gauge reads fine. Lots of others share the same issue. Dealer knows what Im taking about and they have gotten nothing but complaints about the exact same thing every winter season from Tuscon owners. Must be a heater core design thing, i wonder what the kona uses for a heater core and its the same engine but it outputs blistering hot air.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The warm up time at idle is non existent as you described but that's not the real issue. The issue is heat output. Its just warm. Drive constant for 3 + hours and its still just warm. Temp gauge reads fine. Lots of others share the same issue. Dealer knows what Im taking about and they have gotten nothing but complaints about the exact same thing every winter season from Tuscon owners. Must be a heater core design thing, i wonder what the kona uses for a heater core and its the same engine but it outputs blistering hot air.
are these complaints, for both engines? I have an SEL with the 2.0. While I've only owned it, a short time, the heat seems pretty good. I would imagine, they use the same heater core. I may be wrong, though.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So you have it on MAX clockwise and it's still just warm after 3 hours of driving??? I don't have that problem at all in my 1.6T. I can turn it up pretty toasty hot, but usually just leave it right around the middle with a fan speed of 2. Keep in mind I have the manual controls.

The only thing I can think of is the Heater Control Valve not letting enough coolant to flow to the heater core. Your engine coolant is up to temperature, which means it should be plenty hot (over 190F). If your engine was having trouble keeping up with warming the cabin and the coolant dropped to lukewarm temps, you would notice the temperature needle dropping down. The heater core doesn't look like a small one, so it should have plenty enough surface area to transfer heat. And if the blend door was a problem, you would still get hot air out of at least 1 of the vents.
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/gen...zYWZXUQB-VTNRWA$&vid=8664&cid=6&uid=165423&q=

My sister's dodge avenger had problems with heat being warm, and only on the left side. It turns out that dodge had a problem with excess sand being left in the engine block during manufacturing which clogged up coolant and heater core. It was an extremely common problem for those cars, and dodge refused to help anyone fix the issue after warranty. It costs over $3k to replace all the coolant lines, heater core and flush out the engine only to have that problem come back again because it's impossible to fully clean the block and head. So she traded the car.

If the dealer has to replace any of the components in the dash, it's a huge repair and the dealer probably will lose money on the job because it's unlikely to be completely in the allotted book time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts