Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just swapped out my SE for a Sport. I'd like to get an idea what other LF enthusiasts are using to swap out their halogen low beams for LEDs. I'd like to see if I can get a set to match the light output and color temp of my DRLs.

Some have suggested looking into the Opt7 or Hikari bulbs as possible options. Appropriate light output, matching color temp, and long term reliability are obviously leveraging factors.

What size designation is the low beam lamp on the 2018? 9004?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hikari are a great choice. Just check the color closely, if you want the color temp to match HID match the easiest; but LED’s don’t match very well with stock DRL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
618 Posts
I put in a set of the CougarMotor LED headlight bulbs from Amazon for a coworker’s LF, but I gotta say I’d definitely go HID instead. The result is purely aesthetic with LED bulbs - those bulbs were a great match for the DRL on the 2015-2017 models. I see only a very slight increase in visibility with the LED bulbs as the throw isn’t as bright further out as it is with the HIDs in my LF.

I’ve installed the Innovited HID kits from Amazon in my wife’s 2016 Elantra Limited with projectors and my friends 2017 Civic with projectors and the results were much brighter with better throw and a good cut off. Just make sure you buy the relay harness and capacitors as well. I’ve used Opt7 LED bulbs in the past with similar results to the CougarMotor LED bulb - even the bulb and base feel similar! For that price, I’m gonna have to pass.

No need to pay the $100+ for the premium HID kits either. I make over 60k but I’m a cheap skate for sure - if I don’t see the increase in performance for paying more, I won’t. I’ve tried DDM kits and would stay away. Color temperature never matches what I order and shipping takes awhile.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Stick with HID for low beams. LEDs work fine for high beam side, if you find the right one for you. Opt7 makes four or five different DC & AC HID kits in 35w & 55w.

I used their Boltzen 35w for fogs and Fluxbeam X LED highs.

Reactions: Ismail M.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recently switched from HID s (opt7) for leds I use this one brand with no issues called winpower from Amazon. It's instant and I have not gotten any errors.

Of course I later realized I needed a relay if I ran hids again, but 6 months so far the leds are doing great. I even gotten high beams on them too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the 2018 lamp size the same as the ones used on the 2015-2017 LF models?

Are they the 9005 size lamps?

I think I would like to try LEDs, but the Hikari doesn't appear to make one compatible with the 2018 model.

I have heard, in several occasions, of the LED retrofits to last only about a year. Seems like similar life spans for the Sylvania Silverstar and GE Nighthawk halogens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are the 2018 lamp size the same as the ones used on the 2015-2017 LF models?

Are they the 9005 size lamps?

I think I would like to try LEDs, but the Hikari doesn't appear to make one compatible with the 2018 model.

I have heard, in several occasions, of the LED retrofits to last only about a year. Seems like similar life spans for the Sylvania Silverstar and GE Nighthawk halogens.
I got these for my 2016 SE they fit perfectly and I was even able to close the dust cap they are powerful and bright. I can post a picture later tonight on how bright they are.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075S1X8F1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
669 Posts
I did an exhaustive write up on my recent search for an acceptable solution to the problem of LED brilliance versus oncoming drivers. Almost every single LED headlight kit is made with absolutely no concern about other drivers - until recently.

I tested seven different models from the most popular brands including Hikari, Opt7, simdevanma (two different versions), SNGL, Tinsince and others. The writeup is in the General forum, since it applies to all Hyundai model vehicles. They all use either H7 or 9005 type lamps now, maybe an H11 out there somewhere, but I think that it is only those two.

Cutting to the chase, Opt7 Fluxbeam X LED kit (or the previous generation Fluxbeam if you have H7 because the "X" model H7 version isn't available yet (last I checked) is the best compromise between great light down the road and not blinding other drivers.

You should read the whole write-up - far too much for me to recap here adequately. Look for "Tinsince" in the thread title to find it easily.

It was only six weeks ago, and the LED Automobile market is constantly changing. My recommendation is almost bound to change, and you should do your own research, too.

Reactions: wishin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did an exhaustive write up on my recent search for an acceptable solution to the problem of LED brilliance versus oncoming drivers. Almost every single LED headlight kit is made with absolutely no concern about other drivers - until recently.

I tested seven different models from the most popular brands including Hikari, Opt7, simdevanma (two different versions), SNGL, Tinsince and others. The writeup is in the General forum, since it applies to all Hyundai model vehicles. They all use either H7 or 9005 type lamps now, maybe an H11 out there somewhere, but I think that it is only those two.

Cutting to the chase, Opt7 Fluxbeam X LED kit (or the previous generation Fluxbeam if you have H7 because the "X" model H7 version isn't available yet (last I checked) is the best compromise between great light down the road and not blinding other drivers.

You should read the whole write-up - far too much for me to recap here adequately. Look for "Tinsince" in the thread title to find it easily.

It was only six weeks ago, and the LED Automobile market is constantly changing. My recommendation is almost bound to change, and you should do your own research, too.

I read your thread. Quite a bit of work that you did testing all the LED kits. So, it appears that the Fluxbeam X set that you used performed more appropriately when you ensured that the LEDs were aimed at the 3 & 9 oclock positions?

Did you notice any interference with your FM antenna when using the Fluxbeam kit? Some LED kits have posted complaints from users that they lost FM reception when installed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
All of them work best when aimed at 9 & 3 but some could not be adjusted.

I didn't notice problems with any of these recent model kits, but I don't use FM often. I do know that I have used it enough since I put the 9005 LED kit in to say that the Fluxbeam does not interfere or cause any problems or popping noises.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of them work best when aimed at 9 & 3 but some could not be adjusted.

I didn't notice problems with any of these recent model kits, but I don't use FM often. I do know that I have used it enough since I put the 9005 LED kit in to say that the Fluxbeam does not interfere or cause any problems or popping noises.
I think I may give the Flux X a try. They seem to be on the upper end of cost, compared to many of the others, but I'm OK with it.

You did mention in your assessments that the Flux X was able to completed fit within the dust caps without modification?

The kit is also all inclusive? No need for additional capacitors, relays, etc?

Thanks for putting in the hard work and sharing it with everyone.

·
Registered
669 Posts
@mthr1 Their kit was the only one that had everything you might need including a pair of plugs in resistors, which I didn't need. Only low beams are checked for "bulb out" by most vehicle computers (and turn signals).

I don't remember seeing which model year and trim you have, and six weeks ago they still didn't have the Fluxbeam X H7 kit ready, but they have the previous version (no "X", it's really about the same except they claim a 15% boost in "X" model total lumens, even though both use the same LED chipset).

I have their Boltzen AC HID kit to put in my fogs (H8), but I am waiting for good weather, we had ice last week and I cracked my right wrist, supposed to be 3"-5" snow tomorrow, and we see snow that sticks about once every five years here in Charleston.

Price wise, they are well worth it. Most of the cheap kits are just that, and I found the SNGL high priced winner to be awfully brilliant but absolutely inviting tickets if not only constant flashes from oncoming drivers, and though plenty bright, absolutely no light down the road.

I want bright lights that work, not look pretty.

Headlights are already controlled by a relay, and these are nowhere near the 65+65W halogens.

Absolutely no mods required, easily fit inside with dust caps including the ballasts, but if you drive long distances with your bright lights on, I would recommend you drill at least a few 1/4" holes in them to get the best life and avoid the problem with the heat causing them to vary light output. Bright lights only come with heat... You can't have one without the other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@mthr1
I don't remember seeing which model year and trim you have, and six weeks ago they still didn't have the Fluxbeam X H7 kit ready, but they have the previous version (no "X", it's really about the same except they claim a 15% boost in "X" model total lumens, even though both use the same LED chipset).
I have a 2018 Sonata Sport.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any update on this? I'm looking for basically the same thing you are. A cooler temperature low beam bulb for my '18 Sport that matches the DRL's. Plug and play is what i'm looking for.

Did you pull the trigger on anything?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Any update on this? I'm looking for basically the same thing you are. A cooler temperature low beam bulb for my '18 Sport that matches the DRL's. Plug and play is what i'm looking for.

Did you pull the trigger on anything?
Be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

Per OEM headlight bulbs, reading both my 2015 and 2018 manuals, the OEM bulbs are:

2015 HID bulbs are 35watt D3S.
(This is what I have on my 2015).

2018 (and probably 2015 thru 2018) standard Quartz Halogen are 65watt 9005L and 9005HL. (These are my favorite, separate bulbs for low and high beams).

2018 LED bulbs are 60watt HB3. These are NOT replaceable. (This is what I have on my 2018).

It's all in your owners manual specifications.

Again, Be careful what you wish for.
You may get it!

·
Registered
50 Posts

Per OEM headlight bulbs, reading both my 2015 and 2018 manuals, the OEM bulbs are:

2018 (and probably 2015 thru 2018) standard Quartz Halogen are 65watt 9005L and 9005HL. (These are my favorite, separate bulbs for low and high beams).

2018 LED bulbs are 60watt HB3. These are NOT replaceable. (This is what I have on my 2018).

You may get it!
Thanks for the sizes and all, but i was asking if anyone had purchased a good match and what bulb did they choose.

Also, why should I be careful? Is the light output gonna suck because of the cooler color?

·
Registered
313 Posts

You may get it!
Thanks for the sizes and all, but i was asking if anyone had purchased a good match and what bulb did they choose.

Also, why should I be careful? Is the light output gonna suck because of the cooler color?
The warmer colortemp of my 2015 HID is more to my liking vice the colder colortemp of my 2018 LED. I see better with the HID. Has nothing to do with brightness.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi there,

I just swapped out my SE for a Sport. I'd like to get an idea what other LF enthusiasts are using to swap out their halogen low beams for LEDs. I'd like to see if I can get a set to match the light output and color temp of my DRLs.

Some have suggested looking into the Opt7 or Hikari bulbs as possible options. Appropriate light output, matching color temp, and long term reliability are obviously leveraging factors.

Thanks again.
Mthr1,

Your post implies that you have seperate high beam and Low beam bulbs in your 2018 Sport. If you have the 2.4 Sport, you may have seperate High and Low bulbs. Not sure about the 2.0T Sport. My 2.0T Limited has only one LED bulb for both High/Low. (LED Intelligent System) and is NOT replaceable.

My advice is (if you have seperate high low bulbs and you want more) is to buy 100 Watt Quartz Halogen (Quartz Iodine) bulbs. This is what I wish I had. I hate my stock non replaceable LED Intelligent System bulbs. My HID in my 2015 are better. Still would prefer seperate Quartz that are bright and easy to replace.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks again.
Mthr1,

Your post implies that you have seperate high beam and Low beam bulbs in your 2018 Sport. If you have the 2.4 Sport, you may have seperate High and Low bulbs. Not sure about the 2.0T Sport. My 2.0T Limited has only one LED bulb for both High/Low. (LED Intelligent System) and is NOT replaceable.

My advice is (if you have seperate high low bulbs and you want more) is to buy 100 Watt Quartz Halogen (Quartz Iodine) bulbs. This is what I wish I had. I hate my stock non replaceable LED Intelligent System bulbs. My HID in my 2015 are better. Still would prefer seperate Quartz that are bright and easy to replace.

So read through this forum. I have the sonata sport 2.4L. Looks like the size is 9005 for high and low beam? Looking at amazon so many brands. I dont wanna buy a cheap one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts