Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. First time posting would MUCH appreciate any help. I got my sonata new and have put 120k miles on it in 2.5 years driving rideshare. Aside from brakes oil changes etc I really haven’t had any problems or maintnence done. What are the most important things to try to increase the longevity. Transmission fluid change ? Brake fluid ? I did the serpentine belt and filters myself but don’t know much else about cars.

I didn’t even know I should be using synthetic oil until my last oil change. I’m so ashamed and upset I’ve been doing the wrong thing in that regard. If Anyone has any other advice/tips I would really really appreciate any help. Not doing rideshare at the moment and Lost 2 jobs due to Covid so just terrified of needing a new car any time soon.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Your owner's manual has the maintenance schedule. You'll want to use the one for harsh or extreme or whatever they are calling it. I looked into ride sharing a bit but it doesn't seem to pay well enough for all the hoops and hassles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it was me I would drain and fill the radiator (using Hyundai coolant) and do a drain and fill on the transmission.
Change out the spark plugs if you haven't done that yet, air filter, and you should be good to go another 100k. I wouldn't worry about brake fluid flush unless you drive the car excessively hard (as in autocross).
If you have a lot of potholes where you live, take a look at the shocks/struts and make sure they are not leaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your owner's manual has the maintenance schedule. You'll want to use the one for harsh or extreme or whatever they are calling it. I looked into ride sharing a bit but it doesn't seem to pay well enough for all the hoops and hassles.
Yeah man rideshare is def not all it’s cracked up to be. Unless you’re in one of a very few large cities you’re getting paid way less than the federal mileage reiumbursemnet of 53c a mile. Just not worth it for the wear and tear

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was me I would drain and fill the radiator (using Hyundai coolant) and do a drain and fill on the transmission.
Change out the spark plugs if you haven't done that yet, air filter, and you should be good to go another 100k. I wouldn't worry about brake fluid flush unless you drive the car excessively hard (as in autocross).
If you have a lot of potholes where you live, take a look at the shocks/struts and make sure they are not leaking.
Thanks so much for replying. I’m definitely gonna do the transmission fluid and plugs! That seems like the best bet especially for my limited budget. Do you have any idea if I switching right over to Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic is ok or does using a blend for awhile make sense ? Sorry if stupid question I’m just trying to make as few mistakes as possible. I’ve only had to replace the front and back brakes once so far so should be good on that brake fluid change I guess.
I Really appreciate your time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,437 Posts
You can switch right over to synthetic and Mobil 1 5-30 or 5-40 is a good low cost choice. I know the oil company markets high mileage oil for over 75,000 miles but usually the real life recommendation for changing to a "high mileage" oil is over 75,000 miles and having any of the normal high mileage conditions starting up like - oil leaks, oil use, tapping or a little more noise when cold etc. if you car is still running well, not dripping oil or burning oil stay with normal Mobil 1 5-30 or 5-40. It wont hurt you to change to the high mileage oils but if you dont have a problem you dont need it,about all they offer is extra additives to help with softening and improving seals to help prevent leaks etc.

Its already been said but change the spark plugs, air , oil and cabin filters, if your not already start doing oil changes at least every 5,000 miles, change trans and coolant (you already did belts so your good there), check for leakage at struts and shocks and also do the bounce test to be sure the suspension is working correctly, look for unusual tire wear and if so get the alinement checked, change wiper blades and IMO eve though you may not be driving hard I believe in doing a brake fluid flush because over time it will get condensation / water in it and even if you dont feel a diffence in performance that water is bad for the seals.

If you have basic tools, vacumn bleeder and a floor jack and basic knowledge all of those things can be done DIY and are not any more than a 4-5 out of 10 in difficulty. You tube video available for all of it

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you're at a 120k miles I would get the brake fluid changed as well. You're an Uber driver with lots of starts and stops and heavy brake usage. Full synthetic oil is a must in GDI engines IMO, especially coupled with being an Uber driver. I would also consider a fuel system cleaning which cleans out the intake valves, manifold, etc. Gets all that nasty carbon buildup out. Also like others said, coolant, transmission fluid, spark plugs, air filters, and you will be good to go.

It might seem like a lot but it sure as heck beats buying a new car IMO. Additionally, you don't have to do it all at once. Spread it out over 6 months. My dads 2010 Sonata has over 250k miles and is still rolling well. You should be able to take all these car expenses and net them against your Uber income on your tax return as well. Just be sure to save all the receipts.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Really don't need synthetic oil, but for the price, why not. Costco has synthetic oil $2.19 p/qt and Walmart $2.80 p/qt, both 5-30 SN plus, dexos certified.

·
Registered
80 Posts
you may not be driving hard I believe in doing a brake fluid flush because over time it will get condensation / water in it and even if you dont feel a diffence in performance that water is bad for the seals.
You ever see brake seals leak? I've been in the used car business for 35 years and I have not.
I've seen some incredibly, I mean filthy dirty hydraulic/brake fluid, but the systems all still worked as normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're at a 120k miles I would get the brake fluid changed as well. You're an Uber driver with lots of starts and stops and heavy brake usage. Full synthetic oil is a must in GDI engines IMO, especially coupled with being an Uber driver. I would also consider a fuel system cleaning which cleans out the intake valves, manifold, etc. Gets all that nasty carbon buildup out. Also like others said, coolant, transmission fluid, spark plugs, air filters, and you will be good to go.

It might seem like a lot but it sure as heck beats buying a new car IMO. Additionally, you don't have to do it all at once. Spread it out over 6 months. My dads 2010 Sonata has over 250k miles and is still rolling well. You should be able to take all these car expenses and net them against your Uber income on your tax return as well. Just be sure to save all the receipts.
Yeah not only an Uber driver and I’m definitely a little hard On brakes, I also drive in NYC maybe 10% of the time which is constant brakingsee other people saying don’t worry about it so maybe I’ll wait a little for that one?
When you say fuel system cleaning what do you mean exactly? Is that something mechanics or dealers offer or do you mean adding one of those fuel intake Techron bottles to the gas tank?

Thanks so much for responding I’m thinking
Transmission/radiator flush, filters change(there’s only the air, cabin and oil is that right ?+ synthetic oil change then maybe a little later the brakes and spark plugs? Does that sound right?

thanks so much for replying

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can switch right over to synthetic and Mobil 1 5-30 or 5-40 is a good low cost choice. I know the oil company markets high mileage oil for over 75,000 miles but usually the real life recommendation for changing to a "high mileage" oil is over 75,000 miles and having any of the normal high mileage conditions starting up like - oil leaks, oil use, tapping or a little more noise when cold etc. if you car is still running well, not dripping oil or burning oil stay with normal Mobil 1 5-30 or 5-40. It wont hurt you to change to the high mileage oils but if you dont have a problem you dont need it,about all they offer is extra additives to help with softening and improving seals to help prevent leaks etc.

Its already been said but change the spark plugs, air , oil and cabin filters, if your not already start doing oil changes at least every 5,000 miles, change trans and coolant (you already did belts so your good there), check for leakage at struts and shocks and also do the bounce test to be sure the suspension is working correctly, look for unusual tire wear and if so get the alinement checked, change wiper blades and IMO eve though you may not be driving hard I believe in doing a brake fluid flush because over time it will get condensation / water in it and even if you dont feel a diffence in performance that water is bad for the seals.

If you have basic tools, vacumn bleeder and a floor jack and basic knowledge all of those things can be done DIY and are not any more than a 4-5 out of 10 in difficulty. You tube video available for all of it
Thanks so much for replying. The Mobil 1 high mileage synthethic costs the same as other Mobil one if im not mistaken so should I just do the HM for precautionary measures if it prevents leaks or still just stick with the regular.

I usually go to an outside mechanic but he told me he couldn’t even do the transmission change for the first time. That it had to be done by the dealer. Does that make any sense? My dealer charges 199$ Im pretty sure. I watched a video about the radiator flush and that seemed very doable. The filters are also very easy to change if I’m not mistaken. I’ve never given myself an oil change I’m sure I could and can follow along with youtube videos&instructions pretty well but I’ve never done more than recharge an A/C and change a tire

So As for the trans/brake fluid, spark plugs, and radiator flush. Which do you think is the most straight forward/ realistic to do myself and which may I just not want to risk making things worse. Would love to do it all but if a combo is the safest/best way to go about it I want to at least pay for the things that it’s worth having them do.
Sorry if these questions are a little vague my job got erased by covid and isn’t coming back anytime soon. So if my car craps out I don’t even know what I would do. So just trying to everything worth doing for the car on the lowest budget possible. I really appreciate you taking the time out. Your response was already a big help.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah not only an Uber driver and I’m definitely a little hard On brakes, I also drive in NYC maybe 10% of the time which is constant brakingsee other people saying don’t worry about it so maybe I’ll wait a little for that one?
When you say fuel system cleaning what do you mean exactly? Is that something mechanics or dealers offer or do you mean adding one of those fuel intake Techron bottles to the gas tank?

Thanks so much for responding I’m thinking
Transmission/radiator flush, filters change(there’s only the air, cabin and oil is that right ?+ synthetic oil change then maybe a little later the brakes and spark plugs? Does that sound right?

thanks so much for replying
Fuel system cleaning you would get done at a place like Firestone Complete Auto Care. "Fuel system cleaning" is a bit of a misnomer as it cleans out the engine as well. Putting that Techron stuff in the gas tank doesn't hurt but it's not really effective on a GDI engine.

Cabin air filter and engine air filter are $20 and you can easily do that yourself in 10 minutes. I would definitely go full synthetic for oil changes. If you haven't done spark plugs yet at 120k miles you should get that done soon. Yes to transmission. Yes to coolant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts