Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - Soon to be 2018 Sport 2.0T (Canadian) owner here. Just waiting another week or so for delivery of my new car.

I have seen a few complaints regarding features that have been removed from the 2018 that previous MY 7th generation Sonatas had. Notably, one that bothered me was the lack of handle in the trunk to avoid touching the trunk lid when closing it.

Watching a few reviews, I noticed that the Australian model may have the trunk features we are missing (and possibly others). You can see the trunk arm covers and the handle if you pause at 2:18 in this video: Search YouTube - Hyundai Sonata 2018 review: first drive video

Wondering now if down the road we will be able to order replacement parts from Australia and add these missed features to the car. Does anyone know a parts distributor that may eventually offer these parts?

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
2018 trunk features:
1. Smart pushing area to open the trunk - this one was shown and discussed extensively.
2.Because of rear of the car has been redesigned, back-up camera was relocated all the way down - just above license plate. Camera sits close to the floor gets dirty very fast. Bad.
3. Because of rear of the car has been redesigned, there is no place to attach rear bumper guard/protector - it will cover license plate and camera.

The rest of changes does not bother me at all.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Honestly, I’ve always just used the trunk door latch as a handle to pull the trunk down. Never have to touch paint. Since my Elantra, too. Never wanted to touch the paint cuz i always had it clean of smears/etc. I understand how this can be a big issue to some, but it does not bother me at all, and seems like a simple “work around” the issue.

·
Registered
313 Posts
honestly, i’ve always just used the trunk door latch as a handle to pull the trunk down. Never have to touch paint. Since my elantra, too. Never wanted to touch the paint cuz i always had it clean of smears/etc. I understand how this can be a big issue to some, but it does not bother me at all, and seems like a simple “work around” the issue.
ditto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That is a good idea. Thanks for the advice.

I figure, if inner trunk parts are made available at some point there are some people that would be willing to pay. Currently, you can buy the replacement parts for previous MY's from hyundaioemparts for relatively cheap. But since these features only seem to be available overseas it's not likely we will see them available on a NA based parts site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 trunk features:
1. Smart pushing area to open the trunk - this one was shown and discussed extensively.
2.Because of rear of the car has been redesigned, back-up camera was relocated all the way down - just above license plate. Camera sits close to the floor gets dirty very fast. Bad.
3. Because of rear of the car has been redesigned, there is no place to attach rear bumper guard/protector - it will cover license plate and camera.

The rest of changes does not bother me at all.
Argh, i just realized the bumper guard problem! As someone who parks in the city on the street regularly this sucks. Any one have any solutions to bumper protection? I guess it's a slim chance hyundai might make a compatible rear bumper guard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts