Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone else experiencing sudden downshifting when slowing to approach an intersection or stop sign with automatic transmission? * While in “Drive” it feels as if going from coasting in 4th or 5th gear then noticeably jerks & slows to what feels like 2nd or even 1st gear. Speed is near 10-15 mph. It seemed to become noticable after about 6,000 miles. Current mileage is 9,000. It does not matter if “Normal”, “Eco” or “Sport” is selected as electronic mode. (Gear selector stays in normal “Drive” shift position - not simulated manual.) Our 2018 Sonata SEL was purchased fall of 2017 after trading a 2009 Sonata. Both have non-turbo 4 cylinder engine w automatic transmission. Our 2009 Sonata always shifted very smoothly. Not sure if transmission was revised since 2009. Trip back to local Hyundai dealership in Brunswick, Ga showed no “trouble codes” or technical bulletins or recalls. Technician could feel &/or experienced downshift. I was assured it was not causing any mechanical problems. I’m sceptical since it feels like do car I’ve ever driven...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing sudden downshifting when slowing to approach an intersection or stop sign with automatic transmission? * While in “Drive” it feels as if going from coasting in 4th or 5th gear then noticeably jerks & slows to what feels like 2nd or even 1st gear. Speed is near 10-15 mph. It seemed to become noticable after about 6,000 miles. Current mileage is 9,000. It does not matter if “Normal”, “Eco” or “Sport” is selected as electronic mode. (Gear selector stays in normal “Drive” shift position - not simulated manual.) Our 2018 Sonata SEL was purchased fall of 2017 after trading a 2009 Sonata. Both have non-turbo 4 cylinder engine w automatic transmission. Our 2009 Sonata always shifted very smoothly. Not sure if transmission was revised since 2009. Trip back to local Hyundai dealership in Brunswick, Ga showed no “trouble codes” or technical bulletins or recalls. Technician could feel &/or experienced downshift. I was assured it was not causing any mechanical problems. I’m sceptical since it feels like do car I’ve ever driven...
It's supposed to do that, i forget why but the manual explains it. It shouldn't feel like a huge sudden jerk but it is a noticeable downshift

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am facing the same issue. At slow speeds (10-15 mph) while coasting, the engine suddenly jerks and I can feel and hear it very well. I guess it's the transmission and I need to take it for service. Started having this more often after 14,000 miles. Currently at about 16,500 miles.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What you described isn't out of the ordinary (I've had a '13 since January of '14).

What is out of the ordinary is when slowing from about 35mph, just as it wants to upshift, and the car goes into panic stop mode and locks up the wheels (antilock braking FAILED) and you leave chirp skid marks - just pray the person behind you isn't too close and is paying attention. And hope you aren't holding a cup of coffee in your hand!

This has happened to me four times in 40k miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I face the same issue on my 2018 Sonata. It is a transmission issue. Go to Hyundai service to upgrade a new one.
I have / had (?) the same issue, the service tech messaged me that it was a Software problem that was resolved with an update. Really cannot say if the issue has been resolved as, the dealer has had my vehicle for almost 3 weeks for a "co-morbid" problem https://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/642663-new-car.html

Seems to be a common concern with the automatic transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same trans issue in 2011 sonata hybrid

This is exactly what my trans is doing now. I just installed a salvaged trans to replace the blown one (at 108k). Now the car lurches on stop under slightly harder braking. I'm afraid it's going to throw me into an intersection.

·
Registered
308 Posts
'13 HSH here, and I get the same thing, usually either 3rd to 2nd, or 2nd to 1st when slowing down for a red light or stop sign. Not ALL the time, but definitely noticeable.

I'll contact my dealer (I'm due for an oil change/rotation anyway, i'll have them look at it with that)

·
Registered
425 Posts
All the hybrids with 60-80,000 miles are due for an fluid change. Hopefully the right type of fluid. Even try for a synthetic fluid if acceptable.
Anyone experiencing hard downshifts may also try the manual shifting for a few miles.
Shift up, then shift down, or not. Its to get the computer to try another aspect of its programmation.
Unfortunately these transmissions don't have dip sticks to check the fluid levels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts