Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my 2015 Limited 2.0t for a 2018 Limited 2.0t and so far I really like most changes except the sound quality. It just doesn't compare to my 2015. does anyone else feel the same way?

·
Registered
191 Posts
SXM sound quality in general has gotten worse and worse in my opinion. I’ve had Sirius since 08 and I remember when it used to be much better. They haven’t launched a new satellite in yearssss but they continue to add more and more channels.... only have a finite amount of bandwidth so have to fit it all in somehow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
1. I have both a 2015 and a 2018. No problems with sound quality on either. (And I DO NOT have a "Tin Ear").

2. Our cars do NOT have Sirius radio. We have XM radio. They are different. They use different satellites. Having had both, I've found that Sirius is much better than XM. (Both owned by SiriusXM).

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
1. I have both a 2015 and a 2018. No problems with sound quality on either. (And I DO NOT have a "Tin Ear").

2. Our cars do NOT have Sirius radio. We have XM radio. They are different. They use different satellites. Having had both, I've found that Sirius is much better than XM. (Both owned by SiriusXM).
We have SiriusXM radios. It's been quite a few years since there were "Sirius" and "XM" radios. They have been a single company since around 2010.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We have SiriusXM radios. It's been quite a few years since there were "Sirius" and "XM" radios. They have been a single company since around 2010.

Actually, you’re probably right. I was wondering their approach to this. They have the same channels, but Sirius and XM radios have different chips and the satellites operate at different (incompatible) transmission wavelengths. If they only used one, millions of dollars in satellites would be flying around unused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
They are " the same, but different".
Much like Chevrolet and Buick.
Much like Ford and Lincoln.
Much like GMC and Chevrolet trucks.

XM and Sirius use different satellites. Anyone with Sirius has the little Doggie (I think) logo in their radio screen. XM does not have that logo.

As for programming, 99% of the time, their channel lineup is the same, but sometimes (like around Christmas time), one of the channels will be different. I found this out when I had one car on XM and a second car on Sirius.

Our Sonatas use XM. Sirius gives better coverage.

Both owned and billed by SiriusXM but they are different. Trust me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i HATE the display, its all like cramped up together when you use the HD radio option and it displays all the music info

·
Registered
2018 Sonata 2.0T Ultimate
80 Posts
i HATE the display, its all like cramped up together when you use the HD radio option and it displays all the music info
You can always turn off HD, can't you? Besides, if you're driving, you're paying attention to the road.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Speaking of the car radio, my 2017 Sonata SE has noticeably poorer reception on AM with non-local stations compared to my other cars. I have no problem with FM or SiriusXM so I am curious if this is normal or just a bad radio in my car.

Frank 2017 Sonata SE with 18.3K miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I am new, but I would like to add that satellite radio is often lacking. No matter how good your stereos are. Even the people I have driven from Sirius have admitted that the bit rate is low on some broadcasts. It is a shame that they no longer use CD's, but at least you can rip CD's at high bit rates and put them on USB fobs, then play them. The enhanced stereo in the tech pack upgrade really seemed worth the extra money. I will never install an aftermarket system again, after being broken into three times. The next model down was not very good at all... especially on Sirius.

The quality of the music has also been noted in my other car with a JBL system. CD's sound by far superior to XM/Sirius all to often.. Much of the instruments and sound are missing. Often we do notice because we are driving and our brains fill in the missing information. Here is a good test. change the channels and see how long it takes you to recognize a song. Your brain will fill in the missing parts once you recognize the tune. If you don't recognize it, it may sound like caca altogether.

Just my 10 cents worth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited Hybrid Sonata with the top sound system. I do not like the stereo. The sound quality is decent and the bass level is adequate. The problem is the front speaker placement. The speakers are up against the windshield and it feels as if they are shooting the sound away from you. If you adjust the sound fade / balance more rearward it only seems to mute the front speakers. There are no treble speakers on the doors so there is no sound difference between centered sound and setting the fade to fully forward.

This not only makes music sound bad, but it makes it harder to hear talk radio / podcasts. I've been thinking to try wearing earbuds during my long daily commute because it is so bad.

Does anyone else notice this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts