Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

GenesisG70Forum.com - The Largest Hyundai Genesis G70 Forum, Community And Owner's Club

Owner of a 2011 Limited 2.4 here. Just had the engine replaced due to the recall, so I'm starting to think about a replacement. I've had my heart set on a Genesis since they initially came out, but the redesign in 15 really sold me on the car. I hated the Sonata redesign in 15, so I never really thought about getting another Sonata. Fast forward to last night, when the dealer put me in a 2018 SE as a loaner car while I'm getting something addressed. Now I'm torn. I actually really like the 2018 Sonata, even in the SE package. I really like my 2011, but I spend 45 minutes a day in stop and go traffic, so I really want a car with radar guided cruise control.

So here we are. Prices on a used 2015 Genesis Ultimate 3.8 AWD are pretty much on par with a 2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T. What should I get and why?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Owner of a 2011 Limited 2.4 here. Just had the engine replaced due to the recall, so I'm starting to think about a replacement. I've had my heart set on a Genesis since they initially came out, but the redesign in 15 really sold me on the car. I hated the Sonata redesign in 15, so I never really thought about getting another Sonata. Fast forward to last night, when the dealer put me in a 2018 SE as a loaner car while I'm getting something addressed. Now I'm torn. I actually really like the 2018 Sonata, even in the SE package. I really like my 2011, but I spend 45 minutes a day in stop and go traffic, so I really want a car with radar guided cruise control.

So here we are. Prices on a used 2015 Genesis Ultimate 3.8 AWD are pretty much on par with a 2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T. What should I get and why?

I’d definitely go with the Genesis because of AWD and the power packed v6. Plus it has the fancy bells and whistles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was the same way as you before I bought my 2018 Sonata Ultimate. I was so into the 2015 fully loaded Genesis with ~40k miles on it. Then I test drove brand new 2018 Sonata Limited with Ultimate Package and decided to go with Sonata because it has all the tech features, it is brand new and also better on gas. 4 months later, I am still very satisfied with my Sonata! I will for sure end up in Genesis one day but I want to finish school first :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Waiting for the Genesis G70 to hit the dealer lots. Looks like a car I would like. Then I'd have to decide "trade the 2015 2.0T or the 2018 2.0T".

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,755 Posts
Waiting for the Genesis G70 to hit the dealer lots. Looks like a car I would like. Then I'd have to decide "trade the 2015 2.0T or the 2018 2.0T".
The G70 is my choice for next car, if it is as nice when it hits the dealers as the test models seem to be are it is a steal in either the 2.0t or the 3.3 v6 twin T. Especially if you stay with RWD. projected pricing is mid $30,000 in 2.0t and high $30,000 in V6

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd get the genesis because it has depreciated already and will likely hold it's valued longer than the 2018. It's a better-built car, you'll get more out of it. I love the awd for winter driving and more power. I'm really not a fan of the 2018 sonata styling and I have a 2016 so it's pretty much the same car beside the face and butt lift.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Looking at my 2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate versus the wife's new 2018 Santa Fe Sport Ultimate is a good reference. I love them both, but the Genny has several advantages in the advanced technology arena like the heads up display, which can't be had on any Hyundai model with any packages - at least not yet. It is the one major difference between the two, and I am always dependent on the HUD for detailed information and advantages are clear - you can see the Blind Spot info displayed on the glass, next turn, speed and speed limit, etc

All of these things are much more convenient when they are literally in your face. You never have to take your eyes off the road to find all of them.

Being perfectly honest, driving the SFS catches me missing the blind spot warning often. The addition of HUD to any model would be a great thing.

One other thing is that I prefer the haptic feedback (wheel vibrates) as opposed to the bell warning for the lane departure and keeping system.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Do you care about Android Auto or Apple Carplay?

The top of the line 9.2" premium stereo in the Genesis does not support them, so you'd be losing out on some fantastic phone integration.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not exactly what you were asking, but at the time I got my 2015 Sonata, I had originally went to drive the new 2015 Genesis sedan with AWD and a 420 HP V8. There wasn't a Genesis available when I arrived, so I took the new Sonata for a test drive and was really impressed. When I drove the Genesis, I was very underwhelmed. Given the price difference of approx $30K, there was no way to justify spending that much more for a car that had more power and features, but really had no soul.

No regrets from me on that decision, though at an equivalent price point for a new Sonata vs. CPO Genesis, the decision might be different.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I sell Hyundai’s and I’ve driven both extensively; I’d choose the Sonata 2.0t. I just delivered a 2018 2.0t Limited to a customer about 80 miles away 2 weeks ago and own a 2017 Limited Ultimate 2.4 myself.

The 3.8 AWD HTRAC Genesis is simply too heavy to have any fun with. The 18 Sonata will have the new LED Dynamic bending headlights which are much brighter than the factory HID in my Sonata and the 2015 Genesis. The Sonata also has more room inside and returns much better real world mileage, and doesn’t feel like a pig in corners. It’s sad because the 3.8 is RWD based AWD but the 2018 Sonata feels much more eager to corner. It’s a chore to drive unless you’re always cruising and coming to a near stop to corner. You can tell it weighs about as much as an SUV.

The tweaks to the steering input and suspension for 18 make the car eager to turn and more refined VS my 2017. The adaptive cruise control and active lane keep works just as well as in Genesis.

Also, HTRAC AWD is not available on the G80 with the 5.0 V8 in the US.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
Well price wise the Sonata makes more sense. But if money is no object get the Genesis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts