Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just leased the vehicle above. Imagine my disappointment when later that evening I went to the car and the welcome lights did not seem to work. Took two days to find out Hyundai has eliminated this feature on their top of the model line car. Also gone are rear heated seats, button to open trunk, door handle lights. Yes, I am certainly to blame for assuming these would be carried over from previous years, but I am disappointed. This will be the last Hyundai I will ever drive. Being cheap is one thing, but not even offering some of these things as an option is quite another as the Limited 2.0t has no factory options that can be ordered. Live and learn. Bye bye Hyundai!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I said bye to Hyundai also a few months ago, as I could not see myself getting into a car that did not have these features as well as the pano roof .As you can see sales are drastically down for the Sonata and I see this trend continuing.They will have too increase the rebates to see numbers go up

·
Registered
609 Posts
My dealer had cold called me twice lately asking how I like my 2015 and if i'm in the market for a new one anytime soon. I think it speaks to some sort of desperation on their part as I have never experienced that before from them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just leased the vehicle above. Imagine my disappointment when later that evening I went to the car and the welcome lights did not seem to work. Took two days to find out Hyundai has eliminated this feature on their top of the model line car. Also gone are rear heated seats, button to open trunk, door handle lights. Yes, I am certainly to blame for assuming these would be carried over from previous years, but I am disappointed. This will be the last Hyundai I will ever drive. Being cheap is one thing, but not even offering some of these things as an option is quite another as the Limited 2.0t has no factory options that can be ordered. Live and learn. Bye bye Hyundai!

Some dealer somewhere is twice now not making use of an opportunity to get you into a G70 Genesis.

·
Registered
274 Posts
They more goodbye's the more unique my 2018 Sonata Limited with Ultimate is lol :)

·
Registered
313 Posts

Some dealer somewhere is twice now not making use of an opportunity to get you into a G70 Genesis.
The G70 will not arrive until
Sometime in the springtime. Even dealers dont know exactly when.

I won't trade my 2018 2.0T Limited, but will think about trading my 2015 Sport 2.0T Limited, only if I can get a LOADED G70 preferably with the 2.0T, but would consider the 3.3T engine. (Only two engines offered).

BTW, Yes, the 3.3T has more power vice the 2.0T but the 2.0T gives much better MPG around town. Yesterday whilst driving back to Lake County from Orlando International Airport, on Rt. 528, I found they had changed the road just before I get onto the Turnpike. I was in the wrong (old) Lane and had to FLOOR it to get to the correct lane. More than enough power to get out of trouble. (First time I've ever floored it down past the "click" under the accelerator).

Oh well. Once available, I'll take a G70 look see at various local dealers, but will buy from my favorite dealer 105 miles away.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
I have a 17 Sonata SE (my 3rd Hyundai in 6 yrs). I stopped at my dealership for some maintenance items and took a look at the 18 Sonata SEL.
I noticed several things right away.
1. The grab handle on the trunk lid is gone.
2. The covers on the trunk hinges are gone.
3. CD player is gone.
4. The closing cover in the dash center stack is gone.

I mentioned this to one of the salesmen... he became visibly angry.

I think after Hyundais lofty gains in sales in the first half of this decade they have begun to drop the ball in several areas.
First the engine recall debacle has really turned off a lot of buyers. I blame bean counters for this. Skip an important machining process and save $1 per crankshaft.
Secondly, people who switched to Hyundai for the hot new body styles are now going back to Toyota and Honda.
In the end, long term reliability, or at least the perception of it, is what keeps consumers loyal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Plus they removed the dual exhaust on all except the turbo models. While everyone else are adding features Hyundai is removing things. If they continue this path my next cars will not be Hyundai’s

·
Registered
313 Posts
You do know, that this is not a true duel exhaust. It is a single pipe that splits to two exaust tips (for good looks). My 2018 is like this.

My 2015 has quad tips, two per side.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Secondly, people who switched to Hyundai for the hot new body styles are now going back to Toyota and Honda.
In the end, long term reliability, or at least the perception of it, is what keeps consumers loyal.
Unfortunately, this could be me when the time for a replacement comes. Came from Honda to the Sonata for the new style and power, but the replacement will likely be an Accord. Both prior Hondas sold at 65K and 85K handled as tight as Day 1. Yes, they had issues but Honda stood behind their product. They covered a $2,000 repair for some SRS sensor (13 hrs labor) which was outside of warranty.

The Sonata at 70K miles has not aged well and its resale value in the market reflect that. It has been fairly reliable, but the number of recalls and trips to the dealership for warranty repairs takes away from the ownership experience to an extent, given time is money.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The trunk handle is also gone. Can't close the trunk without getting fingerprints on the paint.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've looked at new Hondas each time I went to buy a new car.
Biggest turn off was the sales people acted like they were doing me a favor just by having the car on the lot.
They had the worst customer service I've ever experienced and acted like they didn't care if they sold me a car or not.
On top of that, family members have given up on Honda after having nothing but problems with new ones.
If it wasn't brake issues it was transmission issues and paint issues.
I won't be buying a Honda any time soon.

Hyundai resale is low because the dealers are selling new cars for such discounted prices.
I've not been up close to a 2018 Sonata but I really like my 2015 Sport.
I didn't want the turbo since it would be one more thing to worry about maintenance wise and the power isn't really there anyway.

All manufacturers are cutting corners these days, it's not just a Hyundai phenomenon but I agree that removing things like the glove box light and trunk handle is just plain stupid.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The most frustrating thing is that ALL of these features are still available on the 2018 Optima. They're practically the same car. The difference, to me, was that the Sonata represented classy styling versus Kia's sporty approach. I don't understand why, after so much effort increasing their brand quality and recognition, Hyundai is deciding to dumb down the Sonata by taking everything out and making Kia the better value.

And don't even get me started on the Korean Stinger vs the gimped one we get here....:wallbash:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a 17 Sonata SE (my 3rd Hyundai in 6 yrs). I stopped at my dealership for some maintenance items and took a look at the 18 Sonata SEL.
I noticed several things right away.
1. The grab handle on the trunk lid is gone.
2. The covers on the trunk hinges are gone.
3. CD player is gone.
4. The closing cover in the dash center stack is gone.

I mentioned this to one of the salesmen... he became visibly angry.

I think after Hyundais lofty gains in sales in the first half of this decade they have begun to drop the ball in several areas.
First the engine recall debacle has really turned off a lot of buyers. I blame bean counters for this. Skip an important machining process and save $1 per crankshaft.
I don't see any of these as deal breakers. I don't know the exact figure but CD players in cars are going the way of the doe doe. The Elantra has the closing dash door and some models have the door handle lights.

My first consideration with a new car is warranty. First, I get a long warranty included in the price of the car, doesn't cost me extra like an extended warranty that may not cover everything. Second, I feel if the manufacturer gives a long warranty they must feel in the long run that their cars meet that quality, or else they would loss a boatload of money on warranty repairs. That leaves Kia, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and now VW.

I don't understand all the hype about Toyota and Honda. If their cars are so reliable, give a great warranty. I had a 2003 Camry. Radio went out twice. Out of warranty. First time I had to haggle to get them to cover half the cost. The radio should not go dead at 50K. Second time I traded for my Santa Fe. Will never have a Toyota again.

The new Accord is hideous. Inside and out. Camry is hot.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
They have to justify the $10k discounts during the end of year blowout to sell off stockpiles of vehicle inventory.

Nickel and dime the consumer and see if they notice.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Hyundai focuses in on the value orientated buyer, but the redesigned Sonata falls a bit too far behind the design of leading competitors like Honda, Toyota and Mazda to keep pace with past sales and de-contenting is a cost cutting attempt to keep margins healthy when Hyundai is having to spend more $$ on incentives and advertising to sell vehicles.

I agree with the comment one poster made on the Accord being "tight as day 1" , one area where Hyundai minimizes costs is in suspension and chassis integrity, another is in engine and drivetrain design.

Yes they provide a 100k warranty in the US, I see it as much as a marketing tool as anything else and I would argue from a longevity standpoint Hyundai designs to get you only to that 100k mark or marginally beyond it, looking at the typical car and how the typical owner maintains it. Yet Hondas and Toyotas offering far less warranty show greater vehicle longevity and better (sometimes much better) resale value in most every industry report.

So good cars but those cheaper MSRP and big discounts have to come from somewhere.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've looked at new Hondas each time I went to buy a new car....I won't be buying a Honda any time soon....
All manufacturers are cutting corners these days, it's not just a Hyundai phenomenon but I agree that removing things like the glove box light and trunk handle is just plain stupid.
If you think Honda is cutting corners, you should check out the 2018 Accord. Added are continuous damping control and HUD (head up display) (Touring model), for example. Also, he he, they added back actual volume and tuning knobs (after getting rightfully blasted for removing them.) We were considering a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid and they do not have HUD, but cost thousands more than an Accord.
My wife likes the look of the 2018 Accord, heated/cooled seats in front and heated seats in back (Touring model).
Tim

1 - 20 of 44 Posts