Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Sonata Hybrid "HYBRID SYSTEM WARNING SAFELY STOP AND DO NOT DRIVE" warning.

Last night I was driving my 2018 Sonata Hybrid SE when out of nowhere the check engine light went on and soon afterwards the message "HYBRID SYSTEM WARNING SAFELY STOP AND DO NOT DRIVE" came on and I lost power to the vehicle!!! Very dangerous situation I luckily was able to pull over and turn the car off. I let it sit for half an hour it did start up and let me drive 5 miles to home but the check engine light remains on. Of course it happens on a Friday so I can't take it in until Monday. Anyone had this happen? The car is only 8 months old with 5,600 miles on it. Very scary. Is it save to drive again?

Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's been reported before but I have not had it happen. There is a TSB for this issue available on the NHTSA site and covers the 2011-2016 years so it may be of help: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10123294-9999.pdf

It seems to occur when the "transaxle inhibitor switch" gets out of whack or something. Perhaps you could, while parked, move the gear shift through each position and see if the light on the dash matches. If you have a mismatch that would be good info to give the dealer.

I don't know how it could affect engine power unless the engine thinks you're in P or N and that the engine is revving too high,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info,

I did just have it scanned at an auto parts store the Code (P2600 Coolant Pump control / circuit open ) came up as confirmed.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
One thing to be aware of is that garden variety OBD scanners cannot read the hybrid-specific codes used by Hyundai. That usually requires their equipment. Hopefully that will help the dealer find the issue, though, especially if their scan shows nothing. No high temp warning light or message? I'm not even sure of there is one.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
2018 Hybrid,, so soon ??

Valid Powertrain control DTC in the engine side......

We have replaced a few of the water pump on the new style Hybrid already..

Warranty pay is barely time for time.. waste all the time getting belt, HSG and intake off to get at the pump, besides both engine and inverter cooling systems for drain and refill

Word of wisdom,,, new water pump call use of new part number thermostat,, neighbor used old stat, came back with coolant leak because he left clamp off a hose,, PIA to get burped for heat

The one I did, my advisor didnt want the thermostat,, until part Mgr lit his butt that Hyundai says so in catalog.. so mine go thermostat as called

Some of the earlier yr got a wire removed via recall think.... send me VIN via message with note what it for

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just did it again every thing was fine no check engine light and then boom. Unacceptable for a new car now Im going to be afraid to drive it since Ive been in a bad accident before. Battery basically drained barley made it home. Going to have to towed Mon morning. I have a video and pics, absolutely loved this car until 24 hours ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No high temp warning light or message? I'm not even sure of there is one.
No temp warning the check engine light went on and within a minute or so I get the check hybrid system turn engine off warning.:crying2:

·
Registered
463 Posts
just did it again every thing was fine no check engine light and then boom. Unacceptable for a new car now I'm going to be afraid to drive it since I've been in a bad accident before. Battery basically drained barley made it home. Going to have to towed Mon morning. I have a video and pics, absolutely loved this car until 24 hours ago.
I hear you and I know that is a scary place to be but stuff happens and that's why there are warranties. I had a Ford Fusion that had a similar issue and all Ford did was increase the warranty period on the throttle body. They successfully fought the NHTSA on the recall issue even though the symptoms were the same: loss of engine power causing the car to slow down regardless of where it was when it happened. My kid drives it and we just had to deal with the possibility, although it's never happened. Yet.

Unfortunately no matter what we buy, car or not, there will be problems and switching to another manufacturer usually just trades one problem for another. <sigh>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hyundai says they have to replace the EWP assembly? They had to order the part won't be in till later in the week. Electric water pump I guess

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Parts may be coming from different PDC,,, your region PDC may not had part on shelf to ship to dealer,, so add time for to come to dealer from whichever PDC..

I "think" your PDC is Atlanta ??

We didnt have much issue with getting the 2 we used this year that I recall.. Our PDC is within 80 mile radius of us.. if they not have it, 2nd PDC is 7hr by road if not terribly congested

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny thing is they (dealer) said that the part would coming's the next day and the car would be ready by (Wednesday) that was two days ago.
I am curious what has been the outcome of the EWP replacement? I am having the same issue and the dealer cannot seem to find the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Problem

We have a 2018 Sonata hybrid that has this same issue. First time, after the light came on and a call to bluelink (codes were for ABS brakes and cruise control), it ultimately became inoperable and left my wife stranded. It was towed to the dealer where we purchased it and they claimed to not be able to duplicate the problem.

Happened again a few days later--same process, same codes, same leaving my wife stranded. Towed to the dealer again. This time they seem skeptical that there is a real problem and tried to require us rent our own car. Made me quite upset. They relented and took care of us. (My argument: If there is nothing really wrong with the car that is causing codes then there is a malfunction with the system reading codes and disabling the car!!! Either way there IS something wrong with the car.)

Nonetheless, I am wondering, has the replacement of the EWP has remedied your problem?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I am curious what has been the outcome of the EWP replacement? I am having the same issue and the dealer cannot seem to find the problem.
We have a 2018 Sonata hybrid that has this same issue. First time, after the light came on and a call to bluelink (codes were for ABS brakes and cruise control), it ultimately became inoperable and left my wife stranded. It was towed to the dealer where we purchased it and they claimed to not be able to duplicate the problem.

Happened again a few days later--same process, same codes, same leaving my wife stranded. Towed to the dealer again. This time they seem skeptical that there is a real problem and tried to require us rent our own car. Made me quite upset. They relented and took care of us. (My argument: If there is nothing really wrong with the car that is causing codes then there is a malfunction with the system reading codes and disabling the car!!! Either way there IS something wrong with the car.)

Nonetheless, I am wondering, has the replacement of the EWP has remedied your problem?

Clarify "same concern"...

State has codes,,, what was the actual codes recovered in proper "Pxxxx" format ??

·
Registered
236 Posts
When the transmission oil pump looses pressure the computer shuts down the car in the same manner. It happened to me. Hyundai gave the dealer an OK to change it, because the codes can be vague.
The part sits on the transmission, right side, and is changed from under the hood!
At the time I saw aftermarket ones at Rockauto. $400.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
They found a P2600 error code so it was the coolant pump that shorted out. They had to replace the coolant pump thermostat assy and gaskets. It took them ten days but I found out they had the parts within a few days they were just lazy on the repair. It was under warranty so I got a decent loaner. So far no more problems.

If they claim that they can't find the problem don't hesitate to go to corporate with your issue immediately. That can be a dangerous situation. Your under warranty so press the issue on the corporate level and they will have to fix it.

I was not rude to them just very direct, remember your the customer you have all the rights if its not fixed correctly. The Lemon Law (here in Fl) Is three attempts. I think its the standard in most states. I would NOT buy a Hyundai Hybrid again (I will go directly to Toyota for my next one.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
They found a P2600 error code so it was the coolant pump that shorted out. They had to replace the coolant pump thermostat assy and gaskets. It took them ten days but I found out they had the parts within a few days they were just lazy on the repair. It was under warranty so I got a decent loaner. So far no more problems.

If they claim that they can't find the problem don't hesitate to go to corporate with your issue immediately. That can be a dangerous situation. Your under warranty so press the issue on the corporate level and they will have to fix it.

I was not rude to them just very direct, remember your the customer you have all the rights if its not fixed correctly. The Lemon Law (here in Fl) Is three attempts. I think its the standard in most states. I would NOT buy a Hyundai Hybrid again (I will go directly to Toyota for my next one.)

I just had this issue happen to me. Started yesterday and was intermittent. Took it to the dealership today, their response was "There are a lot of codes in your system we reset it and you monitor it. If it happens again then bring it back and we will look at it".

So they reset the system and all was good. Drove from the delaership to work and 0 issues. Around 14:30 PM today I went for lunch and immediately upon starting the car, within 10 seconds the error showed up.

Problem is that I managed to drive the car home (very close to work) and parked it there. The Hybrid battery is almost flat now and I am super pissed off at the dealer. They saw the P2600 code and didn't do anything about it.

This car is going back tomorrow and if not fixed ASAP then I'm escalating this to Hyundai Canada.

Bastards!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts