Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Santa Fe Sport Limited 2.0T AWD
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I picked up my 2018 SFS Limited yesterday and love it! However, there were a few minor disappointments that I'm hoping to take care via some upgrades.

I noticed at night that the 2018 SFS Limited's HID colour is that dull yellow 4300K light output. C'mon Hyundai, really!?

What I'm hoping to find out is what LED light bulb kits those of you have used on your 2017/2018 SFS Limited vehicles?

Here's what I'm hoping is available for my 2018 SFS Limited...

1) LED light bulb kit that is plug and play (9005 bulb size)
2) LED needs to be 6500K (that crisp white/blue light look)
3) That the LED light bulb and fan housing can fit into the low-beam housing without limited modifications to the cap

I noticed that CARiD is on these forums and hope @CARiD can chime into answer the above need. Thanks!

A bit of history on my old 2009 SF Limited... I had previously installed a 6500K HID Xenon kit, which worked really well on my 2009 SF. The only issue that I had was that I had to cut a hole in the cap to feed the wires through and seal it with the grommet. I'm hoping the the technology over the past 10 years has evolved and is now available.

Anyways, I'm hoping that my 2017/2018 SFS brothers & sisters in here can share their experience with which low-beam LED bulb kit they installed in their SF.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Are you sure your have HID now? Cause that won't be a 9005.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I stand corrected... it’s a D3S HID bulb and not a 9005.

Cheers!

I figured you have D3S bulbs, we used the same D3S bulbs and I hate to burst your bubbles but converting from HID to LED is not as simple as you think. Your SF came with HID from factory so your ONLY option is to buy a better set of D3S HID bulbs. It would be different if you have halogen then converting to LED would be a lot easier as plug and play. I would keep your HID set up and upgrade the bulbs instead but that can be a bit pricey though. I’m currently using upgraded D3S Osram Xenarc CBI 5500K for the last 2 years and for sure it’s better than stock 4300K. I just bought a set of the new Osram Xenarc CBB which is rated cooler but still white at 7000K, can’t wait to get my hands on those in a week or two. TRS has these new Osram CBB for $260 usd or the Osram CBI for $165 usd but I’m sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere. GL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured you have D3S bulbs, we used the same D3S bulbs and I hate to burst your bubbles but converting from HID to LED is not as simple as you think. Your SF came with HID from factory so your ONLY option is to buy a better set of D3S HID bulbs. It would be different if you have halogen then converting to LED would be a lot easier as plug and play. I would keep your HID set up and upgrade the bulbs instead but that can be a bit pricey though. I’m currently using upgraded D3S Osram Xenarc CBI 5500K for the last 2 years and for sure it’s better than stock 4300K. I just bought a set of the new Osram Xenarc CBB which is rated cooler but still white at 7000K, can’t wait to get my hands on those in a week or two. TRS has these new Osram CBB for $260 usd or the Osram CBI for $165 usd but I’m sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere. GL!!!

Thanks for your response and recommendations Dino2k.

How’s the install with the SFS? It was a real pita changing the bulbs in my old 2009 Limited. I had a quick look under the hood and it looks like changing out light bulbs maybe just as difficult.

Cheers!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thanks for your response and recommendations Dino2k.

How’s the install with the SFS? It was a real pita changing the bulbs in my old 2009 Limited. I had a quick look under the hood and it looks like changing out light bulbs maybe just as difficult.

Cheers!

I have a 2014 SF XL Limited, I’m sure we have a similar set up. At first I was really struggling to get those bulbs out until I realized how easy it was to take it out. Don’t know if you have a metal clip that wraps around the base of the bulb but if you do it will take a few attempts at the beginning trying to get it out. If you can take a few pic behind the cap then that will give us an idea on how to take it off.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick response Dino2k.

I’ll take a look and will take some pics.

Cheers!

·
Registered
427 Posts
the stock oem D3S HID bulbs are osram bulbs, possibly CBI, and are already quite good.
Regarding color, the bluer you go, the less lumens you have. Also, bluer light works less well in bad weather (when you actually need it).

TRS have nice bulb upgrade options. Stay with philips or osram.

The most powerful hid bulb on the planet: D3S: OSRAM XENARC 66340 NIGHT BREAKER LASER 210$
But it's 4300k OEM color. (I might get those).

D3S: OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBI 165$
Good option, good light, stock bulb?

D3S: OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBB 260$ (260$ US+ shipping, in canada, forget it).
Good option, more light, not as blue as they say it is. (maybe just startup color)

But, imo, the stock bulbs work fine so I'll just keep mine as they are.
Any led bulb will give you LESS light, forget it.

Either keep the good stock bulbs, or upgrade to a better bulb from trs, and it's going to cost a lot.

·
Registered
990 Posts
the stock oem D3S HID bulbs are osram bulbs, possibly CBI, and are already quite good.
Regarding color, the bluer you go, the less lumens you have. Also, bluer light works less well in bad weather (when you actually need it).

TRS have nice bulb upgrade options. Stay with philips or osram.

The most powerful hid bulb on the planet: D3S: OSRAM XENARC 66340 NIGHT BREAKER LASER 210$
But it's 4300k OEM color. (I might get those).

D3S: OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBI 165$
Good option, good light, stock bulb?

D3S: OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBB 260$ (260$ US+ shipping, in canada, forget it).
Good option, more light, not as blue as they say it is. (maybe just startup color)

But, imo, the stock bulbs work fine so I'll just keep mine as they are.
Any led bulb will give you LESS light, forget it.

Either keep the good stock bulbs, or upgrade to a better bulb from trs, and it's going to cost a lot.

Agreed about Osram bulbs and aftermarket LED bulbs but I don’t think stock bulbs are Osram CBI because my stock bulbs were Philips and it would have been a bit cooler in colour if it was the CBI’s though. Don’t know if that was change for 2018 models and I highly doubt it, Osram night breaker are no doubt the brightest because it kept the kelvin at 4300K which is by far the best output at that temp colour. It’s true that the higher the kelvin, the less lumens you’ll get BUT that’s why these expensive bulbs CBI, CBH and CBB takes place and are pricey for that particular reason. This is my third vehicle with Osram CBI 5500K and it never let me down in terms of brightness and quality. It will be my first time trying out the new Osram CBB though and while it’s not cheap, I’m sure it’s well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I had a look under the hood and removed the caps where these are located... there is no way my hand can fit in that little space and be able to remove these D3S bulbs. How the heck have you guys managed to this yourselves?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I had a look under the hood and removed the caps where these are located... there is no way my hand can fit in that little space and be able to remove these D3S bulbs. How the heck have you guys managed to this yourselves?

LOL, our hands wouldn’t fit in there either but we have enough space just to loosen the clip and patience is key. Believe me I don’t have patience as well but I had no choice . Once the clip are loose then it shouldn’t be a problem taking out the bulb by unclipping the plug harness. Give it a few attempts and I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it, once you do then your next step is to figure out which bulbs to buy

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL...Thanks Dino2k.

I guess I need to wrap my head around what you mean by loosening the clip. I can’t visualize that yet. Are there any links of vid clips that show how this done?

Cheers!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Unfortunately not that I know of, it’s a bit tricky to get it out if you have a similar clip. Just press it inward towards the bulb and that will unclip the both sides that’s holding the bulb in place. Think of it like a letter U, you need to press at the bottom of the letter U so that it spread outwards by releasing the clip if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
360 Posts

2017 Santa Fe Sport comes with CBI as the stock bulb, so unless they changed something for 2018, I have no idea why he would say they seem yellow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
D3S don't have a clip to hold them in, that's D2S. The D3S has the ignitor built onto the back of the bulb, so it's a much different set up. I have no idea how to remove them.
LOL, our hands wouldn’t fit in there either but we have enough space just to loosen the clip and patience is key. Believe me I don’t have patience as well but I had no choice . Once the clip are loose then it shouldn’t be a problem taking out the bulb by unclipping the plug harness. Give it a few attempts and I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it, once you do then your next step is to figure out which bulbs to buy

·
Registered
990 Posts
2017 Santa Fe Sport comes with CBI as the stock bulb, so unless they changed something for 2018, I have no idea why he would say they seem yellow.

I stand corrected and Thank you, it’s pretty cool Hyundai uses CBI’s for stock HID .

·
Registered
990 Posts
D3S don't have a clip to hold them in, that's D2S. The D3S has the ignitor built onto the back of the bulb, so it's a much different set up. I have no idea how to remove them.

Hyundai must have change their set up again, my D3S are actually held on by clips and Hyundai must realized it’s a bitch to get it out so they change the set up lol.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hyundai must have change their set up again, my D3S are actually held on by clips and Hyundai must realized it’s a bitch to get it out so they change the set up lol.

I can't see how a D3S would have a clip around it, the base of the bulb is huge because of the ignitor.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I can't see how a D3S would have a clip around it, the base of the bulb is huge because of the ignitor.

Maybe pics can explain it a bit better, the harness plug goes in from the side of the bulb so the metal clip wrap around the bottom of the bulb.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Maybe pics can explain it a bit better, the harness plug goes in from the side of the bulb so the metal clip wrap around the bottom of the bulb.

Yeah, it's not like that anymore. I had a picture but I can't find it. You can see the whole back of the bulb on a 2017, thats how I know it's a CBI because it says it right on the back.

Edit, those are CBI as well.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts