Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought my 2018 Santa Fe a year and a half ago. Had 58k when I bought it at dealership, now has 70k. Started to make noise when accelerating and heard noise in engine so I took it to the dealer two weeks ago. Was told engine is bad and 19.1k to fix it! Power train isn't good anymore because I'm second owner but Hyundai agrees to pay half. I bought extended warranty because guy convinced me when I bought it to get it because of computer and electronics. Waiting to see if they will cover other half. The long block is no longer available for this car so I need to get a short block and get engine rebuilt could take a month or longer. Meanwhile I still owe 22k on car that I just bought. Can't even believe this! I don't think the car is worth as much as the fix. What a hunk of crap this car is!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Bought my 2018 Sante Fe a year and a half ago. Had 58k when I bought it at dealership, now has 70k. Started to make noise when accelerating and heard noise in engine so I took it to the dealer two weeks ago. Was told engine is bad and 19.1k to fix it! Power train isn't good anymore because I'm second owner but Hyundai agrees to pay half. I bought extended warranty because guy convinced me when I bought it to get it because of computer and electronics. Waiting to see if they will cover other half. The long block is no longer available for this car so I need to get a short block and get engine rebuilt could take a month or longer. Meanwhile I still owe 22k on car that I just bought. Can't even believe this! I don't think the car is worth at much as fix. What a hunk of crap this car is!
Since you never returned here to update us on what transpired with both Hyundai Inc and your dealership (in regards to actual out-of-pocket costs to you and things like loaner vehicles), I'll shift gears and wish you Happy Holidays ahead.

Heck, you haven't even told us what specific engine cubic inch #s you have under that hood. Plus, there are well-schooled members here that can pinpoint whether (or not) you should be paying anything out-of-pocket for this.

Don't you even care about obtaining help here? You issued a complaint here, but no questions or cries for help. I guess you have chosen to sink or swim alone.

Good luck with all this. :unsure: . :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi, thank you for asking. I have a 2018 Hyundai Sante Fe 3.3L engine. Unfortunately I'm still waiting to hear if my extended warranty will pay for the other half of the repair. l talked to the guy who is working my case on Tuesday and he said they requested more pictures and he thought we would hear something the next day but still no answer. Meanwhile I have currently been without a car for a little over a month and suspect it will be at least 2 more months. He said they have the same model in the shop that has been waiting on a short block for 6 weeks now. I can't get an approval for a rental until they agree to pay for the other half and even then he said they could only approve 10-30 days. I'm beyond frustrated and my life has been totally affected by this. I can't even believe this situation, I mean 19k to fix my car. I feel like I need to get a lawyer!

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hyundai been declining V6 like nobody business, $15-20,000 (Warranty) per event opens up a new world of hurt,, not sure I would care to figure retail pay, rough labor at maybe $5-6000, add retail parts

Hyundai dont box a long block, it be build an engine from pallet of parts, and shortblock are not always in stock at part distribution center either

The few I have done, they dont pay fair time, and it is a lot of work to build 2 new heads from pile of parts, and then to do a valve adjustment after measure all to find what replacement buckets needed to make right. Also a handfull of revised parts that need replaced, or engine break gears and chains at start up

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hope things work out for you Gabdoyle, I'm sure it gets very stressful.
50-60 years ago we knew this was coming. Gone are the easy days of pulling the engine, rebuilding or replacing on a weekend. My 52 year old Corvette is still going strong but I have to keep my fingers crossed for my 2018 SFS not to fail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought my 2018 Sante Fe a year and a half ago. Had 58k when I bought it at dealership, now has 70k. Started to make noise when accelerating and heard noise in engine so I took it to the dealer two weeks ago. Was told engine is bad and 19.1k to fix it! Power train isn't good anymore because I'm second owner but Hyundai agrees to pay half. I bought extended warranty because guy convinced me when I bought it to get it because of computer and electronics. Waiting to see if they will cover other half. The long block is no longer available for this car so I need to get a short block and get engine rebuilt could take a month or longer. Meanwhile I still owe 22k on car that I just bought. Can't even believe this! I don't think the car is worth at much as fix. What a hunk of crap this car is!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, the auto industry is collapsing in my opinion. Latest update today I called the extended warranty company and they called Hyundai where my car is and they think Hyundai should pay for all of it. Hyundai says no they are agreeing to pay half out of good faith. So I'm still in limbo and am the biggest loser here with no car and them arguing over whose responsibility it is to fix it.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
888 Posts
Thank you, the auto industry is collapsing in my opinion. Latest update today I called the extended warranty company and they called Hyundai where my car is and they think Hyundai should pay for all of it. Hyundai says no they are agreeing to pay half out of good faith. So I'm still in limbo and am the biggest loser here with no car and them arguing over whose responsibility it is to fix it.
You can/may also try the BBB Auto line/website for assistance, and possibly your State Attorney General consumer line/website.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got confirmation for new engine. Hyundai will pay half and fidelity extended warranty other half 19.1k to fix. Fidelity is giving me a 10 day rental and Hyundai is giving half off which comes to $20 a day rental until car is fixed. Hopefully the parts won't take forever was told 1 month minimum but realistically the way parts are back ordered it will take much longer then that. Not sure there's much else I can do then to wait. I'll probably sell car after repair, just don't trust it won't happen again.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hard to believe Hyundai Inc is paying 1/2 of your engine replacement, being your V6 engine is not included in prior free replacement doctrine language - plus your used vehicle warranty expired at 60k and your current mileage is at 70k.

I guess your prayers were answered and Christmas Season Miracles do exist.
Count your blessings Gabdoyle. One of your family tree saints or your original Guardian Angel, is taking real good care of you this year. 🧚‍♂️

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hard to believe Hyundai Inc is paying 1/2 of your engine replacement, being your V6 engine is not included in prior free replacement doctrine language - plus your used vehicle warranty expired at 60k and your current mileage is at 70k.

I guess your prayers were answered and Christmas Season Miracles do exist.
Count your blessings Gabdoyle. One of your family tree saints or your original Guardian Angel, is taking real good care of you this year. 🧚‍♂️
Hopefully the person building the engine has some pride in their workmanship to pay attention to all the details of assembling the V6, putting back all the parts, bolts, brackets, wire routings so as to look like OE factory build, and not look like it even been out of chassis, and use torque wrench on everything.. 2 of them in my shop I wouldnt let touch a V6 build if I had my way, but Hyundai dont pay much for warranty labor either, so I dont care to be involved with V6

·
Registered
369 Posts
If your motor is rebuilt (not a short block) insist on installation of inserts for cylinder head bolt bores, pay extra if you must. I use Huhn inserts, better than Timeserts, cost about ten bucks each but will take several hours labor. Also, one head has an additional 8mm bolt, have a Helicoil insert used for it.

If they will not install inserts sell the vehicle immediately after repairs: cylinder head bolt bore threads are a weak spot on this engine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If your motor is rebuilt (not a short block) insist on installation of inserts for cylinder head bolt bores, pay extra if you must. I use Huhn inserts, better than Timeserts, cost about ten bucks each but will take several hours labor. Also, one head has an additional 8mm bolt, have a Helicoil insert used for it.

If they will not install inserts sell the vehicle immediately after repairs: cylinder head bolt bore threads are a weak spot on this engine.
Process will be new Hyundai Short block, and build engine from pallet of new parts if that how dealer choose to do it. Warranty will not pay for arbitrary modifications to new parts.. She would have to take that up with dealer to farm it out to machine shop for installation of aftermarket kit, and she would have to pay for the modification, and be suspect if warranty on new part be valid since it is no longer in as made condition by Hyundai

I can almost tell you, I think the torque called for the head bolts is what causing issue, I only do base torque, and 90* 2 time, just like any other across product line

1 - 16 of 16 Posts