Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my wife's 2018 Santa Fe XL Limited (3.3L V6) has been having issues starting over the last few months.
She has taken it into the dealership 2 times (under warranty) and they have checked the battery and engine codes but cannot find anything wrong.
The no-start issue is intermittent, and you have an approximately 20% chance of it not starting when the vehicle is left overnight.

She was able to get a video of the no-start situation the other day (YouTube video below).
When it does finally start, sometimes on the 9th attempt, she will push the button; it stays on OFF and appears that it is still not responding and then 2-3 seconds later the car starts.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Videos are cute but in many cases do NOT help us to solve an issue. Ask the Dealer to provide you with something to drive for a few days so that they can keep the vehicle and attempt to duplicate the concern. If it is as common as you indicate then it is something they should be able to work with. Murphy's Law sometimes does come into play./ I have put 200+ miles on vehicles for intermittent concerns with nothing happening and the day after a vehicle is given back to an owner it happens again. Gotta love all of the electronics in today's vehicles....

Now.....To make sure you are not causing this issue.....Make sure you have only ONE key fob will you. No other push button start key fobs in your purse for your other vehicle. Also...No RFID cards or chips of any kind for lockers, doors at work, etc.. ANY of those things can cause intermittent issues with your vehicle that cannot be addressed. Interference of that type is normal and cannot be prevented. My wife started having issues getting into her vehicle right after she started a new job that requires her to carry a RFID card to open security doors at work,. I have never had an issue with her vehicle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks like a CPU or firmware issue. My chair slides forward immediately when I turn the switch to the ON position.

Those delays you're getting are not normal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I may have had this happen a couple times. Turns out I needed to press the brake pedal more firmly and press the start button until it turns over, don't just tap it like you did in the video. As greysave said, these things are subject to interference, even nearby transmitters (Elec Mag Interference) can cause this. Also try butting the FOB right up against the start button, maybe weak battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: The vehicle has been at the Hyundai dealership for 3 weeks now, and they have still not determined the issue.
The 2020 Santa Fe Ultimate loaner vehicle has started every time with no issues, so if something in her purse or at our home was interfering with the XL it is not effecting the loaner.

Here is another video where she tried some of your suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts