Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had issues with their wheels losing clear? Just noticed yesterday. 6 month old car all 4 wheels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Might have been a bad batch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 santafe 2.0 and I’m on my 2nd set of rims peeling. They have not made a big deal about ordering new ones nor have they gave me an answer why it’s happening.
So all I know is that my second set is on order and they will soon replace them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had my peeling '18 ultimate rims replaced last June and they are doing it again. Put it in the notes as I am going in for an oil change and engine software updated this week.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had this same problem starting about 6 months after I bought my car new. My dealer sent the wheels out to be fixed and all was well... For about 2 months. Like clockwork, the wheels all continued to peel. I was in and out of the shop so many times I was on a first name basis with the advisors. I called Hyundai to discuss what could be done and they flat out told me “nothing”. That the wheels were too expensive to replace under warranty. After months of spinning my wheels (sorry) with corporate, I reluctantly gave up. Fast forward 2 years and I have since been going to a different dealer. During a routine service I asked the advisor if he’d ever seen wheels peeling like mine. He said yes but not often. Ordered me all new wheels under warranty and I just had them installed. Glad to finally have a resolution to this but it’s both sad and frustrating that both my local dealer and corporate Hyundai originally treated this like I was the problem. All I can say is best of luck and stay persistent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wheels are over a year old and the clear coat is still good...I asked specifically about this problem when I bought it and they said it wasn't covered under the standard warranty..

Out of curiosity for those with clear coat that peeled , how do you wash your cars? I have only used touch less.Or done by hand.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My wheels are over a year old and the clear coat is still good...I asked specifically about this problem when I bought it and they said it wasn't covered under the standard warranty..

Out of curiosity for those with clear coat that peeled , how do you wash your cars? I have only used touch less.Or done by hand.
I also only use touch less or hand wash. Never used anything other than soap and water on the wheels. My wheels were repaired I think 5 times before they were finally replaced. Like no matter what the clear just wouldn’t hold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was just at the dealer for mine which are a year old, they are going to replace all 4 under warrant. It looks like to me they only clear coat the front side of rim and not the back which creates a seam that dirt and brake dust can get into. Hyundai should pay to have the wheels powder coated instead of repainting

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 2019 Sante Fe is showing clear-coat peeling on the wheels - hopeful to get it to the dealer next week if the virus scare is under control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts