Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a LED headlight conversion kit for my Santa Fe Sport. Does anyone know if it would be easier to remove the entire headlight assembly to replace the bulbs or just try to deal with the tight quarters trying to install the low beam bulbs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Personally, I would attempt the installation without removing any headlight assembly. If it is indeed to tight, then see if parts inside can be moved before removing the headlight assembly.

Most modern assemblies probably don't require alignment if removed and reinstalled. But that is also something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
327 Posts
@mjf850 Which LED kit did you get? Please prove any URL or links.

Also, once you get these installed, I would love to see a before and after pic... or a side by side if you don’t mind.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to bump this to the top, but I've been wanting to do an LED kit on our '18 also. Any updates from anyone who has done this?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Be careful. Your lamp housing were designed for the type of bulb they had with the filament in the correct position relative to the reflector / projection to put the light down on the road in the correct pattern. If the LED replacement "bulb" is not right (It may physically fit but its output in the wrong location within the lamp) you may not get a good forward light pattern and / or may be blinding drivers. I know these conversions are popular and sometimes they do work out, but.... We had a well respected local company doing both HID and LED conversions and they stopped doing it because of all of the issues with the light patterns not being correct. They will not only install such a kit if the owner buys it first and the owner assumes all liability for warranty and fitness. If the headlamps do not work properly the company will charge them to revert back. Just food for thought...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've had good luck with LED's in a reflector headlight but I haven't tried them in a projector like the Santa Fe has. Hoping someone will chime in with experience on what works or doesn't work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What graysave and davesupra are saying is absolutely correct. I tried a few LED bulbs on my '13 SFS (thank you Amazon for having a liberal return policy) .

I ended up liking the Hikari LED conversion bulbs. The '13 SFS takes the same bulb for both the low beam and fog lights. I chose the Hikari because of a) the temperature b) It's adjustable c) it appears to have the right SMD chip aiming onto the Hyundai reflector, so I do get a brighter beam (other's were too dispersed) and has a sharp top line cut-off)

If you are able to, try a few bulbs out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks martmanvan. Did you get the 6k bulb? Did you mess with rotating the bulb in the adjuster, and if so what changes were you able to see in the light pattern? Any fitment issues?

·
Registered
17 Posts
davesupra, I did get the 6K - cool white option.

Keep in mind that there isn't much play with the adjuster, but it is a visible change nonetheless IMO. I aimed my car at my garage door while I was installing so that I could see the difference and while making adjustments. No fitment issues at all. All the tabs lined up and locked in place with a simple twist.
With the '13 SFS, there is also ample space to work behind the housing to allow you to remove the dust cover and get the bulb in. There is also enough room in the housing to accommodate the bulb and cooling fan and still get the dust cover back on.
I ended up replacing all my lights - low & high beams + fog lamps - so that it's all uniform, and matches up nicely with the OEM LED 'eyebrow'

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
What graysave and davesupra are saying is absolutely correct. I tried a few LED bulbs on my '13 SFS (thank you Amazon for having a liberal return policy) .

I ended up liking the Hikari LED conversion bulbs. The '13 SFS takes the same bulb for both the low beam and fog lights. I chose the Hikari because of a) the temperature b) It's adjustable c) it appears to have the right SMD chip aiming onto the Hyundai reflector, so I do get a brighter beam (other's were too dispersed) and has a sharp top line cut-off)

If you are able to, try a few bulbs out.

Good luck.
martamanvan, do you have a link to what you bought? I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my 2013 SFS 2.0T. I'll probably just start with the low beams. Did you have to buy any additional parts (i.e. locking collar)? Or did what you buy just use the existing hardware? I replaced my halogens last year with sylvania silverstar H11 but they are already dimming again. I'm thinking I'll enjoy the LEDs alot more than the halogens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
martamanvan, do you have a link to what you bought? I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my 2013 SFS 2.0T. I'll probably just start with the low beams. Did you have to buy any additional parts (i.e. locking collar)? Or did what you buy just use the existing hardware? I replaced my halogens last year with sylvania silverstar H11 but they are already dimming again. I'm thinking I'll enjoy the LEDs alot more than the halogens.
Hi texlnghorn

These are the Hikari LED headlights that I replace my stock lights with : https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Conversion-H8-H9-Adjustable/dp/B07GKPR452/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Hikari+H11&qid=1580741079&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNVJVRFIwWVJUMUdJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTA0ODE1M1RJTjMyMklLSDcyTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDgzNDQ1MlJOS0kzQ1Q3SlU4SiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I understand there is an updated 2020 model on Amazon as well: https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-H11-H8-H9-Brightness/dp/B07XP24CN7/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?keywords=Hikari+H11&qid=1580741079&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNVJVRFIwWVJUMUdJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTA0ODE1M1RJTjMyMklLSDcyTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjg0NjgwMzJaWUhMTEJZV0hMVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You might want to try that out as well.

I did not have to pick up any additional "accessories like a locking collar or canbus adapters" it was purely a plug and play swap. If you are into it, order two sets as the low beams and the fogs are identical bulbs. It is just a little more involved to replace the fog lights as it is only accessible behind the bumper and is covered by a splash cover.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts