Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, So we've replaced our 2016 Tucson Ultimate with a new Santa Fe.. Was planning to tint the windows again like the Tucson, but without a side by side comparison, I feel like the Santa Fe rear windows are not as dark as that of the 2016 Tucson. I'm pretty sure, the shop that did my previous work tinted the Tucson fronts at 20% to match the rears.. Has anyone else looked into this on the Santa Fe, and know what the match is? I currently feel as though I'm going to want it to be a bit darker... although I'm not positive, it could be the window sizing being larger in the Santa Fe compared to that of the Tucson that makes it appear not as dark. Either way, I know what 20% looks like, I just don't know that the 2018 rears are a 20% tint, as they seem nearer the 30% mark to me, and mismatching the front at 20% with rear at 30% would look awful.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The rear windows on the 2017 are about 35%. I had my fronts done at 35% to match. Was gonna do 20% like I always do, but the tint place said it would look ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Be sure to check both local and State ordinances regarding the tinting of windows. In some location tinting the forward (door) windows is not permitted and may be both a violation of the vehicle code for which you may be cited and / or a violation of your States inspection requirements. Since you had tinting before you may already be aware of this, but wanted to pass the information along just in case.....

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Factory tint is about 35%.

·
Registered
414 Posts
No such thing as factory tint.
There is privacy glass, where the glass is darker, but no tint is added external to the factory glass

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Great Info

Quick reference by state for US and Canada:
Glass/Window Tinting - AAA Digest of Motor Laws
Thanks for the link. Florida is 25 for the front and 35 for anything behind the driver, The police have devices they put over the windows that tells them the tint level. Window tinting in Florida where I live is a secondary violation which means you can't be stopped for just window tinting.

WEB

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
There is privacy glass, where the glass is darker, but no tint is added external to the factory glass

Doesn't have to be externally applied to be tinted. Tinted just where the glass is darker or colored.......

Reactions: Y4h000eu

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Doesn't have to be externally applied to be tinted. Tinted just where the glass is darker or colored.......
My 2000 s-10 had facotry solar glass and the driver/passenger was 95% VLT while the rears were 85% VLT. When adding tint to factory "tinted" glass, (Maybe stained is a better word to use?) be sure to take that into account.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I know what you mean, merely the factory installed rear windows with the darker glass seems to be "less" dark compared to the Tucson we previously had. I 100% feel as though the rears are not as dark from factory as that of the Tucson. I only ask to hopefully find someone that knew, as the tint place will match, but per say I want 20% for sure on my fronts... which I DO... I don't want the rear windows lighter looking from the outside. In any case, if I had to go to 15% to achieve a match by adding additional interior tint to the factory darkened glass, then I would go 15%. I'm not worried about any laws, 3 rules of thumb are pretty obvious... 1) obey all other laws, 2) roll your window down, and 3) Don't be a dick!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should mention, that if adding 50% to the rear factory darkened glass would achieve 20% or 80%VLT then I would do that to achieve the consistency, if it makes it closer to 15% thats fine, but I may go darker on the fronts. I prefer to stick with 20% as I feel comfortable with the visibility at night and through the day with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the tint done on my 2018 Sport. The meter read at 30% for the rear factory glass. The shop told me that laying 50% on top of that would achieve around 13%. I had them do that and put 20% on the front to get it around 18% due to the couple % from the stock glass.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quick reference by state for US and Canada:
Glass/Window Tinting - AAA Digest of Motor Laws
Reminds me of how I've read various stories in our local papers about drivers pulled over and ticketed all the time for over-doing their tinting...and it's a pricey ticket...then court date that requires proof it was corrected.

No real reason to do it...yet...some have to learn the hard way. :clap:

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have the panoramic sunroof, I highly suggest getting the 90% solar film (or darker if you prefer which also gives more solar rejection). If you live in warmer climates, the heat load coming thru the OEM glass is noticeable even with the sunshade blocking (it's pretty thin material). The 90% is essentially clear but rejects 50+% of the IR solar load. The other advantage is if your top glass ever shatters, it may help contain it from raining everywhere into the vehicle.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you have the panoramic sunroof, I highly suggest getting the 90% solar film (or darker if you prefer which also gives more solar rejection). If you live in warmer climates, the heat load coming thru the OEM glass is noticeable even with the sunshade blocking (it's pretty thin material). The 90% is essentially clear but rejects 50+% of the IR solar load. The other advantage is if your top glass ever shatters, it may help contain it from raining everywhere into the vehicle.
I thought about doing that for both reasons listed.

It gets freaking hot in the car when parked in the sun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts