Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im new to the "smart key" world......I just purchased a 2018 Hyundai Tucson.

On my old car I used to be able to use my extra car key to start the car then manually lock the car (so it could run to warm up without being stolen) If i tried to lock it with the key fob buttons or by the button lock switch on door it wouldnt lock because of the key being in the ignition but it would lock fine if i manually locked it.

Id like to be able to do this with my new car but I tried this morning and it wouldnt lock, it just kept unlocking. Is there any way to override this or go around it so i can lock the door with the key in the ignition.

What about if i closed it and used the key on the outside of the door to lock it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can change the behavior of the auto door locks through the settings menu on the LCD panel. I don't know if you can find a combination that will work as you want. You should review your owner's manual to see the options.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It would make perfect sense they don't let you manually lock inside the car while the door is open. Prevent someone from locking the keys in the car while in the ignition while they were getting out of the car.

They would of had to have thought about your scenario in order to use the spare key to lock from outside the car...like it's setup to not lock at all unless doors are closed and done so with the button inside the car.

You could close the door with the window down, push lock inside the car through the window, then roll the window up from outside the car (then quickly pull your arm out from the car). Assume you should then be able to unlock your car with the 2nd key.

I also thought playing with the locking settings but this is a safety feature which likely will behave the same regardless of settings.

The only thing I miss about my Nissan is I used to be able to leave the car running, gst out with my fob (push start) and lock the car from outside while it was running. Rarely needed but nice. Disclaimer: Don't buy a Nissan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts