Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Hyundai Sonata. Recently the volume knob on the steering wheel stopped working. I took it into the dealership to have it fixed. When I got the car back, the car was severly pulling to the right and the power steering felt like it was non-existent. I took it back...still pulled to the right, power steer still bad. I took it to a local garage to have it fixed (I figured if the dealership couldn't fix it in 2 attempts, I was done with them). They said the "toe" was off and they fixed that, so now the steering is straight. The weird thing is, is that now ever since I got it back from the dealership and had the toe fixed, the power steering is at about 90%. Before I took it in, the power steering was smooth as silk. Now? It's a bit stiff. But when i steer with the car in reverse, it feels like it did when I first bought it.
Any idea what the dealership would have done when they messed with the steering wheel to fix the volume knob that would have screwed up the power steering? And if so, how can this be fixed?
Thank you.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Should have just let the dealer sort it out. Can you take a picture of the bill and post it?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Be it cars, appliances, whatever, I'm a firm believer in dealer/maker accountability for anything under warranty. They're legally obligated to resolve issues, especially those of their own making.
If onsite staff lack technical expertise, I hit management, and I don't stop pressing until they find the required skillset and it's made right. SOMEwhere in the organization the expertise exists - they made the thing, they better fix it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Try alternating through the different steering modes. Sport will feel a lot stiffer than Normal (possibly now called Comfort in 2018 models), and Eco feels only a bit different.

I would definitely make it the problem of the dealer, or another Hyundai dealer, to fix. New car means you don't pay for those kind of repairs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Totally on point, and then you have Lemon Law, so if you take the car back to the dealership 3 times due to the same issue (i believe) and they still cannot fix it, you can go for Lemon Law Claim and the Manufacturer is legally obligated to send you an exact replacement, and you can probably even get money out of it.

I haven't done much research on it, i heard those exact words from the Dealership i bought mine from. Thankfully haven't had any issues at all with mine, but New Car with 100k miles of Warranty, THEY have to fix it. I hope your issue gets resolved.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any idea what the dealership would have done when they messed with the steering wheel to fix the volume knob that would have screwed up the power steering? And if so, how can this be fixed?
Thank you.
To fix it? Take it to the dealer and let them deal with their screwup.

As leomc89 suggested, look up your local lemon law and gently remind them if they're nearing the limit where you can invoke it. By taking it to an independent, you might have forfeited your ability to make a lemon claim over this issue, so check that too.

What did they do wrong? They may have had to remove the steering wheel to fix the button, then didn't get it back on straight and tried to "fix" it with an alignment. Check the service statement and see if they did an alignment on it as part of the original work. Or maybe they just ran into a curb or something during the test drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts