Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so if I posted in the wrong group or something, I'm sorry.

Anyways,

I've been searching and searching endlessly trying for find how much the '18 Hyundai Elantra SEL wheel weighs (16"). And I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Even tire rack didn't have any info on it.

Do any of you guys know how much it weighs itself? Because I'm looking to get new wheels and I do not want anything heavier. I'm staying with the size 16" because I live in Ohio and potholes are everywhere. Plus, I think the 16" looks good on this car anyways.

Much appreciated. (Wheel or rim I say it both ways)

·
Registered
730 Posts
What is the source of your concern about putting on a slightly heavier wheel? Just curious.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Have a bathroom scale or do you know of anyone that has one? Not very heavy for me, one hand, old, tired, and broken down, try a 48" tractor wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a bathroom scale or do you know of anyone that has one? Not very heavy for me, one hand, old, tired, and broken down, try a 48" tractor wheel.
I don't have the tools for taking the time and tire off. I dont have a scale either. I weigh 146 pounds and I'm 6'1". I consider scales redundant for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the source of your concern about putting on a slightly heavier wheel? Just curious.
Heavier wheels would make the engine work harder causing it to sip more fuel and it would cause acceleration to suffer a bit. Plus braking harder due to more unsprung weight.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Heavier wheels would make the engine work harder causing it to sip more fuel and it would cause acceleration to suffer a bit. Plus braking harder due to more unsprung weight.
Really doubt if we are talking not much more that a couple of pounds that help an insignificant amount with inertia, but hurt an insignificant amount when braking.

Four a little four cylinder head claiming saving weight with aluminum as opposed to using cast iron, but the true savings is for the stock holders as aluminum melts about 1,500*F lower than cast iron, requires a lot less machining and a heck of a lot cheaper to manufacture. Run a little low on coolant, that head will crack and leave you stranded.

Other really bad joke is with a compact spare, that is about five pounds lighter over a conventional tire and surprised our somewhat crooked DOT lets that go by. Only good for about 50 miles, no TPMS, and worse, your law required ABS and traction control does not work. This is what happens when we elect idiots in Congress.

Another bad joke is saving weight with a single drive belt, if you AC or alternator over loads it, breaks, and no water pump. Could be stranded someplace in -30*F weather and die.

Older engineers thought about things like this, even with head lamps, simple self cleaning slide switch with super fast reacting circuit breaker. Now apart of the BCM with a zillion transistors slightly larger than an atom controlling these life saving lamps.

Could go on, but this is enough for now, was taught to think about worse case conditions, todays kid engineers are taught to keep the stock holders happy, but also can tell you the cost of liability insurance has skyrocketed.

What about laws with people having super large guts? Also carrying a lot of junk in their vehicles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you might be in luck, I had a 2017 elantra 16" alloys with the tire off. I haven't weight them but give me a week and I'll have the weight posted for you

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Wheels spin.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Wheels spin.
That's over coming inertia, and insignificant amount of energy is required to start it, but next to nothing compared to the weight of the vehicle. But does help an insignificant amount when climbing the next hill.

Now if talking about a Boeing 707 wheel weight is a huge problem, empty weight is over 400,000 pounds gross is over 970,000 pounds, and the landing gear has to be strong enough to support that. And only used for a mile to take off or land. That is a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's over coming inertia, and insignificant amount of energy is required to start it, but next to nothing compared to the weight of the vehicle. But does help an insignificant amount when climbing the next hill.

Now if talking about a Boeing 707 wheel weight is a huge problem, empty weight is over 400,000 pounds gross is over 970,000 pounds, and the landing gear has to be strong enough to support that. And only used for a mile to take off or land. That is a problem.
Surprised no one didn't get an idea to put plane wheels on a truck yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the weight in, the 2017 Elantra 16" OEM rims weight 19.8lb each, take 0.1-0.2 away for weights for balancing, It is heavier than I expected. BTW those wheels offset is 50mm.

I searched tirerack for aftermarket rims for my 2020 elantra with 17" rims, the lightest I found are 16lb, costs $202USD each.

and oh.... the OEM 16" rims Hyundai wants 650CAD each for replacement.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the weight in, the 2017 Elantra 16" OEM rims weight 19.8lb each, take 0.1-0.2 away for weights for balancing, It is heavier than I expected. BTW those wheels offset is 50mm.

I searched tirerack for aftermarket rims for my 2020 elantra with 17" rims, the lightest I found are 16lb, costs $202USD each.

and oh.... the OEM 16" rims Hyundai wants 650CAD each for replacement.

Hope this helps.
Wow that's a bit light. And, I'm not surprised that they want an absurd amount each when you can buy them elsewhere for way cheaper. I'd just get something aftermarket tbh.

I was really looking to get the sport tuning T23 from tirerack. But, now since I know the OEM wheels are much lighter than what I wanted, I'm gonna have to go with Konig OVERSTEER or something else. Ugh. Thanks though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts