Hyundai Forums banner

2018 Huyndai Elantra sedan - Jacking points

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NicholasD 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I need to lift my wife's 2018 Huyndai Elantra sedan to rotate the tires and I'm struggling to find suitable lift points except for the pinch welds.

I can lift it using a floor jack at the designated pinch welds locations (just ordered a pinch weld adapter), but we're can I put the jack-stand once the car is up ? The floor jack is in the way. I could put the jack stand next to the floor jack but it will be outside of the designated lift location (floor jack will be too far towards the center).

Thanks

#3 ·
Agree with grcauto on this issue, but when I had to replace the right inner fender on my 2017 Limited with recent back surgery, used the standard recommended jack points. Since unibody vehicles are over 40 years old now, noticed the ones on my 2017 Limited are far more robust than other junk bodies.

One problem was the entire rocker panels would collapse by jacking up under the recommended points.

Replacing the inner fender panel required more space with the suspension hanging, would never do this jacking up under the strut points or the lower ball joint.

Other problem is you have lie flat on your floor to center your jack perfectly, with the recommended points can do this by feel. And if you have a bad back, will never get up off the floor.

Sure wanted to give my dealer business for a new inner fender, but received the same identical one off the internet shipped free to my home for 1/3 the price, plus would have to drive 100 miles to pick it up.

In regards to rotating tires, doing it yourself guarantees each lug nut would be torqued at precisely 100 pound feet. Not even close when I paid to get this done, either 2 pound feet or 500. Also guarantees the rotation will be done properly.

And the key reason for getting it done is stupid McPherson suspension, front tires angle in and out each time you hit a bump and plenty of those in this country with crooked government. Skyrocketed the cost of license plates, gas tax, and now wheel tax. Should reelect Ike, for 3 cents a gallon gas tax, entire interstate system.

#4 ·
Took a piece of hard rubber glue to a wooden block set on my floor jack as not to scratch up the paint. You won't find these on floor lifts with those swinging arms.

The height of this block on the jack is that same with the car sitting on its tires, if the jack does fail, won't go any lower than standard, this use to be called common sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.