Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2018 Sonata, and the stock bulbs just ain't gonna cut it. I bought 9005 LED bulbs, but the confines are very tight, and I can't get the bulbs to seat with the headlights in place. I guess removal is the only option.

Please tell me the assemblies can be removed without taking off the bumper. I bet you'll tell me to remove the cover.

Since I'm betting my luck sucks that much, can anyone refer me to a how-to to get the cover off without killing myself or the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Just got my 2018 Sonata, and the stock bulbs just ain't gonna cut it. I bought 9005 LED bulbs, but the confines are very tight, and I can't get the bulbs to seat with the headlights in place. I guess removal is the only option.

Please tell me the assemblies can be removed without taking off the bumper. I bet you'll tell me to remove the cover.

Since I'm betting my luck sucks that much, can anyone refer me to a how-to to get the cover off without killing myself or the car?

Thanks!

I don’t know too much about the redesigned Sonata yet but I know for the 15-17 models the bumper has to come off to remove the housing. I’m sorry to say but I don’t expect it to be any different with the 2018 model year. If your hands are small enough you might have a chance to get those bulbs in without removing the front end. I wonder if anybody else around here has had some experience with this already. Best of luck to you! Keep us up to date on how you do!

P.S. When I put HIDs in my ‘16 I had to remove bolts, screws and clips from under the bumper, above the bumper and inside the wheel well. Not difficult at all but I recommend 2 people to tackle a job like that. The bumper is lightweight but it’s bulky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
You pretty much summed it up: if you have micro hands you might be able to swap them out, but count on removing the cover at least.

Same situation exists for almost all 2018 Hyundai vehicles as far as replacing the H8 fogs. You can't change the bulbs without dropping the bumper unless you can get a kid to do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK......so the cover's got to come off. So now the question is how is that done? Or do I just forget about it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a grainy but useful video on YouTube. Seems that the cover comes off fairly easily. Bunch of screws across the top, bolts on the bottom, stuff along the wheel well's edge. So, once the replacement high beam bulbs show up, I'll give it a shot. I hope they work.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I thought so as well. I paid the 20, but then sent in feedback about some documentation assigned to the 2018 actually representing the 17 model. I was told that I did not have to pay the 20 and as New owner I had one year free to the service site. They refunded my 20 and gave me 1 year of access.

May or may not be worth looking into. But I use it often.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought so as well. I paid the 20, but then sent in feedback about some documentation assigned to the 2018 actually representing the 17 model. I was told that I did not have to pay the 20 and as New owner I had one year free to the service site. They refunded my 20 and gave me 1 year of access.

May or may not be worth looking into. But I use it often.
I might just give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I was able to work my HID’s and wiring into my headlight assmebly without removing the cover, bumper, or headlights. Average sized hands here. Lol

What issue are you having in terms of install? Removing the dust cover or the bulb due to the squeeze? Passenger side, removing the coolant resv. helps a ton. Driver’s side, you just have to find the “best angle” to insert, and then once you attempt to twist the new bulb in, just commit to a strong twist for a couple seconds in a real awkward/painful angle and it should work with you. I did end up with a couple small cuts on my hand, and they were sore afterward. Lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
i have different vehicle but i think most hyundais are pretty similar with the headlights. Just have to remove couple plastic clips on the front bumper, some screws, couple bolts here and there and the bumper comes off. then the headlight should be held in with one or two bolts and some screws that attaches the side decorating trim.
Although i can kind of squeeze my hands in there with everything on, i feel much better just taking it all apart and doing a much cleaner job. Also if you got LEDs and your headlight housing has enough space inside, you could do some cable management and stuff all the hardware/cables in there. Gives a clean OEM like look for the final product. It would give you en extra 15~20 min of work but for me its totally worth it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just put some LED bulbs in my coworker’s Sonata. Scratched the heck out of my hands and I was adjusting them with the headlights on so the cooling fans were spinning and tearing up my poor hands lol.

I had to twist them slightly off full lock to get the best cutoff line. They still seat securely.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Likely to be a little tighter than my 2018 Santa Fe Sport Ultimate, but I was easily able to get the LED bulbs and driver with all the wiring into the housing behind the dust caps, no problem. Most recent kits will fit, although some still have the older copper braided heat sink that requires drilling a hole around 30mm in them.

Always adjust the LEDs to aim at 9 & 3 o'clock to get the best light and focus in projector type housings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The issue is that on the passenger side, even with moving the coolant bottle I can get the bulb into the housing, but I can't see to line up the tabs so I can twist the bulbs home. The driver's side is impossible.......the main fuse box is practically right on top of the low beam access. Removing the cover and then the headlight units is going to make the most sense from a clean install point of view. After a good looking over, it doesn't look that hard. I do believe I can do this.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The issue is that on the passenger side, even with moving the coolant bottle I can get the bulb into the housing, but I can't see to line up the tabs so I can twist the bulbs home. The driver's side is impossible.......the main fuse box is practically right on top of the low beam access. Removing the cover and then the headlight units is going to make the most sense from a clean install point of view. After a good looking over, it doesn't look that hard. I do believe I can do this.
What i did was look at the 3 tabs on the bulb, then at the 3 sections where they pop into on the housing. Then put the bulb in as close to that angle as possible and played back and forth twisting until it seated. You can tell when it fits flush into the 3 tabs, no need to see it the whole way through.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What i did was look at the 3 tabs on the bulb, then at the 3 sections where they pop into on the housing. Then put the bulb in as close to that angle as possible and played back and forth twisting until it seated. You can tell when it fits flush into the 3 tabs, no need to see it the whole way through.
Tried that for an hour. Never worked. I'll pull the cover and do it the long way, but the right way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts