Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I've had my 2017 Tucson SE with Popular Package (nothing fancy) since Nov 2017. Starting off, I didn't drive it much as my parking lot for work was only 8 miles away from home. It was rare I filled the tank more than once every three weeks.

However, since the end of May, I've been driving approximately 75 miles per workday (5 days a week) and some around home driving and according to basic math (miles driven / refuel gallons) getting right between 30 and 30.5 MPG.

That refill is dictated by the low fuel light which always comes on "with 30 miles remaining", and the nearest pump.

The most I've pumped is 13.4 gallons. So that's right near 390 - 400 miles per tank.

But the tank is a 16.4 gallon tank... at 30mpg should net around 492 miles to "crap, I just ran out of gas!".

Now, I'm not looking for that, but how far can I push the tank?

I'd rather not find out the hard way. The last 4 vehicles I owned, I never worried till I figured there was about a gallon left in the tank. (Yea, yea, fuel pump, I know. I had two cars from the mid-90's that I did this on and only replaced one total pump over 400,000 total miles).

So, can I drive 15 gallons? 15.5?

How far do you all go before fueling?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have taken mine down to single digits on the miles remaining indicator. Usually takes less than 14 gallons. If I lived in the middle of nowhere, I would take along a can of gas and run the thing out just to see.

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
216 Posts
Keep in mind that the fuel tank includes a sump that is not consumable. I don't know the capacity of the sump. I recently ran mine to 30 miles remaining and added only 13.3 gallons.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hi All,

So I've had my 2017 Tucson SE with Popular Package (nothing fancy) since Nov 2017. Starting off, I didn't drive it much as my parking lot for work was only 8 miles away from home. It was rare I filled the tank more than once every three weeks.

However, since the end of May, I've been driving approximately 75 miles per workday (5 days a week) and some around home driving and according to basic math (miles driven / refuel gallons) getting right between 30 and 30.5 MPG.

That refill is dictated by the low fuel light which always comes on "with 30 miles remaining", and the nearest pump.

The most I've pumped is 13.4 gallons. So that's right near 390 - 400 miles per tank.

But the tank is a 16.4 gallon tank... at 30mpg should net around 492 miles to "crap, I just ran out of gas!".

Now, I'm not looking for that, but how far can I push the tank?

I'd rather not find out the hard way. The last 4 vehicles I owned, I never worried till I figured there was about a gallon left in the tank. (Yea, yea, fuel pump, I know. I had two cars from the mid-90's that I did this on and only replaced one total pump over 400,000 total miles).

So, can I drive 15 gallons? 15.5?

How far do you all go before fueling?
Not all fuel senders are created equal. I had a customer who never had a problem so long as he found a gas station within 10 miles of having ZERO BARS left on the indicator. He needed a new pump assembly and ran out of gas right after it hit ZERO BARS.....He was upset with me. I did not know he drove around on fumes and explained to him what I'm telling you now.....Don't test the limits of your range unless you have a gallon or two in the trunk.

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
216 Posts
That is a good point. I understand that most fuel pumps are installed in the sump of the fuel tank. The remaining fuel helps cool the fuel pump.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
That is a good point. I understand that most fuel pumps are installed in the sump of the fuel tank. The remaining fuel helps cool the fuel pump.
Yes...It's hard on the pump to go dry. I ALMOST always fill it when it gets below a 1/4 to an 1/8 in tank.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I've never understood the want to "drive till I have to put fuel in". I'll leave that if I every have that sort of emergency. You want to find out, drive till it shuts down and then let everyone know......

Reactions: mmahamm

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I normally start watching for a cheaper than average station when the tank gets down to 1/2.
With my new to me Tucson I ran it down to 1/4 in order to get a more accurate measure of the MPGs in the traditional way.
Miles driven / fuel to fill gave 26.5mpg compared to the dashboard indication of 28.4mpg.
I'm now on its second tank of gas, took me over a month to use that first 3/4 tank.
I'm also checking the oil level the morning after each fillup to determine how much, if any, oil is being consumed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I completely understand some points made, those being..
1. shouldn't always run the tank to almost empty because it can be bad for the pump - which is cooled by the fuel.
2. Some tanks have a "reserve" amount of fuel. That is, beyond the low fuel light, when the needle hits E, how much usable fuel is left in the tank.
3. Some tanks have a sump area that is not considered in the usable fuel amount.

I know we're not supposed to run a pump low on cooling fuel. I've heard that for decades. And yet, I've not met a single person of a few thousand car club, friends, neighbors, who regularly drive to almost empty (not E, actually down to the last gallon of gas), who have had a pump go out on them. Except the factory installed pump in my 1994 Impala SS at 150,000 of hard, tuned PCM, driving, I've not had an electric pump fail.

This is why I asked far are people actually going into the 16.4 gallons...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts