Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2017 Tucson with the 2.0 and 6 speed transmission. When it gets hot out and with the ac on, there is a big lag after we press on the accelerator after stopping. The vehicle will not go. The tach really doesn’t move. After a few seconds if you have the pedal pressed, the rpm will race up and the vehicle will take off.

We had this happen the last few years. It has been to 2 different dealers to check this. No codes were found. I talked to a few dealerships and none of them have heard of this problem with this engine/transmission combo.

Has anyone else have this problem and had it fixed? Will keeping it in sport mode help this?

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
872 Posts
I believe it's the knock sensor kicking in.
Mine gets sluggish in the same conditions, but not as severe as yours apparently.
Yes, sport mode helps by keeping the engine revving a bit more so the it's more responsive.

Another improvement is more octane.
Even though 87 is specified, in hot weather it will run better with 89 or more.
This is generally true with any modern engine with a knock sensor.
It helped with my previous 2006 Toyota Matrix.

When I know a heat wave is coming, when the gas gets down to half full, I fill it with premium, 91 or more.
That's cheaper than buying 89.
It really helps, especially in stop-and-go traffic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's what happens when it's hot outside, lose a lot of power, shouldn't be a surprise, and if the A/C is on it will lose even more power, should have gotten the 2.4
I don't even know why they make the 2.0 anyways, useless engine IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it's the knock sensor kicking in.
Mine gets sluggish in the same conditions, but not as severe as yours apparently.
Yes, sport mode helps by keeping the engine revving a bit more so the it's more responsive.

Another improvement is more octane.
Even though 87 is specified, in hot weather it will run better with 89 or more.
This is generally true with any modern engine with a knock sensor.
It helped with my previous 2006 Toyota Matrix.

When I know a heat wave is coming, when the gas gets down to half full, I fill it with premium, 91 or more.
That's cheaper than buying 89.
It really helps, especially in stop-and-go traffic.
Thank you for the reply. I will definitely do this. Mid grade during summer. I will post as on how this is working for us. Our gas is mixed with ethanol up here. We do drive a lot of stop and go driving. Sport mode seemed to help as it just seemed low on power today when it was driven during the heat today.

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what happens when it's hot outside, lose a lot of power, shouldn't be a surprise, and if the A/C is on it will lose even more power, should have gotten the 2.4
I don't even know why they make the 2.0 anyways, useless engine IMO.
Thank you for the reply. As Circuitsmith stated, will try mid grade gas. For our needs, I think the 2.0 we have is pretty peppy. Even with the ac on in cooler temps, still seems pretty responsive. I have noticed a little loss of power when the ac is on. Did the Tucson come with a 2.4 in 2017?

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
872 Posts
should have gotten the 2.4
In 2017 there was no 2.4 option for the Tucson, at least in the US.
I'm not an aggressive driver, and with the lower weight and drag of FWD the 2.0 has enough power for me.

One other thing, I use ECO mode most of the time.
When I want to pass or climb a hill I switch to manual and shift down a gear.
Even the smartest transmission controller can't read my mind and anticipate a gear change.
When I get to highway speed and engage cruise control I switch to manual to avoid unnecessary gear shifts and stay mostly in top gear.
My last 4 cars were stick shifts, so I'm used to being in control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a 2017 Tucson with the 2.0 and 6 speed transmission. When it gets hot out and with the ac on, there is a big lag after we press on the accelerator after stopping. The vehicle will not go. The tach really doesn’t move. After a few seconds if you have the pedal pressed, the rpm will race up and the vehicle will take off.

We had this happen the last few years. It has been to 2 different dealers to check this. No codes were found. I talked to a few dealerships and none of them have heard of this problem with this engine/transmission combo.

Has anyone else have this problem and had it fixed? Will keeping it in sport mode help this?

Thank you,
Mike
Hello, tried using mid grade gas and very minimal help. Contacted Hyundai and got a new case number. Took into dealer last week. They found an issue with the timing being retarded with the ac on. On Monday, the dealer contacted the Hyundai service line and they wanted the fuel pressure and ac compressor checked. Both tested ok. On Tuesday I called the dealer for an update and they informed us that the vehicle was ok. No problems found. I think a vehicle that no acceleration in the middle of an intersection has problems. The dealer says they spent a lot of time working on this, but judging by the times they called me, looks like they were fitting it in. Anybody else heard of a fix?

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know what the dealer did and didn't check, and there are a number of problems that could cause it. Most of them would set a code though in the case of things like accelerator pedal position sensor correlation and throttle position sensor correlation. Not sure if the 2.0 engines had similar software as a 1.6T (due to the difference in transmissions) but I know if one of the brake pedal signals or brake applied signals is tripped it won't allow throttle regardless of accelerator position. Would you happen to know if your dealer did any software flashes? My gut is leaning towards a software issue, but that's without knowing the whole picture (datastream, etc).

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hello, tried using mid grade gas and very minimal help.
Was that a fill up from near empty?
A half tank of 87 plus half 89 is only 88. Not much difference.
I'd try some premium to be sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what the dealer did and didn't check, and there are a number of problems that could cause it. Most of them would set a code though in the case of things like accelerator pedal position sensor correlation and throttle position sensor correlation. Not sure if the 2.0 engines had similar software as a 1.6T (due to the difference in transmissions) but I know if one of the brake pedal signals or brake applied signals is tripped it won't allow throttle regardless of accelerator position. Would you happen to know if your dealer did any software flashes? My gut is leaning towards a software issue, but that's without knowing the whole picture (datastream, etc).
Hi, no software patches From what they told me. No upgrades in the past 3 yrs we owned it. They didn’t say if there were codes or not. We never saw a light. They found the problem when they hooked it up to the big computer. saw the retarded timing. The brake issue came up in discussion, but don’t know if they checked that. The service advisor really didn’t give out much info. He said he never saw this problem. I know they were talking with the Hyundai team on what to do. They did send a log file, but unknown if the vehicle was warmed up and driven, or just hooked up to the computer. I don’t know how much real work they did, or just waiting for someone else to tell them what to do.Was basically told there is no fix and that it is running as it should. Going to discuss this further with the service manager and Hyundai customer care on what is next.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, I have this issue. And it does feel like the timing pulls way back when it gets hot. It's definitely just in the programming. I'm not sure it can be viewed as anything but a characteristic of the car. Even on a good day, the transmission programming really sucks; the first gear is anemic and I always have to mash the gas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a US 2017 2.0 with about 44,000 miles on it. I bought it in Nov 2017 and through June 2018 maybe put 100 miles a week of all below 40 driving. Since then till March it was 400 miles for work a week plus weekend stuff, mostly freeway speeds.

What I’ve found is every fill up except one, calculated out to 30.5 - 31.5 mpg. And I’m not light on the throttle when I need to pass or accelerate up a ramp. Season of the year, temp outside, doesn’t matter.

I use 87 octane with 10% ethanol (that’s in all of our gas now) and have found that high octane makes no difference, good or bad. Performance mode makes no difference for me either. I ran in ECO for over a year, switched to sport (freaking turns off on its own) and then gave up and just use normal. Except for different shift points when not 70%+ on the throttle, it was all the same.

The one tank of gas that didn’t perform well, I got 27MG for the same driving. It was from a suspect gas station in a crappy neighborhood and I suspect the fuel would not pass inspection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts