Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Tucson SE 2.0L FWD 6-speed Auto Popular Equip Package

So I've only had this vehicle for about 3 weeks. One thing I've come to notice that when I am not pressing on the gas pedal, it will "quickly" slow down and keep shifting down.

Say I'm going 35MPH and let off the gas pedal. It'll drop to 30 in about 10 seconds, then downshift, then keep decelerating. I don't have to press the brake till it gets to 15 or so and then it seem to slow down like every other car I've owned.

And I've owned 13:1 compression cars before. Heck, not even my 1994 Impala SS would engine brake faster with manual downshifting.

My 1995 Maxima would "glide" forever when you let off the gas.

No brake noise and they aren't hot (I've pulled over and touched them), so I don't believe they are dragging.

Is this normal or do I need to head back to the dealer?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Make sure you've gotten the latest updates on the transmission. So far there has been about 3 patches. After the patches we noticed that performance as well as car handling with transmission related has been improved drastically.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My car exhibits the same behavior. I first thought it was very strange but I soon got used to it. Otherwise the transmission behaves great, and I love my Tucson

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure you've gotten the latest updates on the transmission. So far there has been about 3 patches. After the patches we noticed that performance as well as car handling with transmission related has been improved drastically.
Will an OBD2 scanner I can buy tell me the transmission software version?

And is there someplace I can see what the most recent version is?

If it helps, I found out that my Tucson was manufactured 09/23/17.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

He has the regular 6 speed, not the 7 speed DCT.

·
Registered
914 Posts
My 17 Elantra with the 6 speed transmission does the same thing. Previous vehicles did not, but I think this is just modern transmission technology, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The downshifting is normal. Fuel economy strategy. "They all do it" - well, at least all modern clutch-to-clutch transmissons. The days of freewheeling transmissions have gone the way of the Mercury and the Plymouth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The downshifting is normal. Fuel economy strategy. "They all do it" - well, at least all modern clutch-to-clutch transmissons. The days of freewheeling transmissions have gone the way of the Mercury and the Plymouth.
I was not aware the 6-speed auto is a clutch-to-clutch transmission.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I was not aware the 6-speed auto is a clutch-to-clutch transmission.
Most automatics with six or more forward speeds are clutch-to-clutch.
Note that "clutch to clutch" does not mean "dual clutch", or DCT.

A Dual Clutch Transmission is a pair of manual transmissions side by side with each half connected to its own clutch that, when applied, can transmit engine power. A computer uses electric motors/servos so "shift" the gears and apply one of the two clutches.

A Clutch To Clutch transmission is a type of fully automatic transmission, complete with torque converter and in almost all cases planetary gearing. Back in the old days of three and four speed automatics, one-way clutches (sprag or roller clutches) were used to allow one gear to overrun the other during a shift so there was no overlap. When second gear applied, first gear would overrun and freewheel. This eliminates engine braking so the old automatics would apply a brake band or "coast clutch" when shifting from D to 2 or L to prevent that freewheeling so engine braking was possible.
With computer control today, shifting can be so precise that one friction clutch releases exactly as one applies, allowing this direct clutch-to-clutch shift with no overrun roller/sprag elements. More compact, more efficient, much simpler.

The 6 speed automatic is a regular slushbox with lockup torque converter and three planetary gearsets, using five friction clutches to provide six ratios. There is a freewheel (roller clutch) for the 1-2 upshift since the ratio spread is so wide, it'd be a neck-snapper otherwise.
Trivia fact - there is no 2-1 downshift unless you do it manually. The automatic drops from 3-1 when rolling to a stop. Skips 2nd altogether - it's not necessary. See for yourself - when slowing to a stop, move the lever to the manual gate and slow to a stop. Watch the number drop as the car slows - 5 - 4 - 3 - 1. Remember to bump the lever back over to D before taking off again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...Trivia fact - there is no 2-1 downshift unless you do it manually. The automatic drops from 3-1 when rolling to a stop. Skips 2nd altogether - it's not necessary. See for yourself - when slowing to a stop, move the lever to the manual gate and slow to a stop. Watch the number drop as the car slows - 5 - 4 - 3 - 1. Remember to bump the lever back over to D before taking off again.
FYI: I was out for a drive today and never once did my transmission downshift 3-1. It always shifted 3-2-1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts