Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, recently bought a 2017 tucson limited. When I listen to the radio of sirius xm radio I have the volume set at about 22 or 23 and the sound clarity/bass etc sounds good. As soon as I connect my phone through bluetooth, android auto or AUX cord the sound quality goes to crap. I have to turn the volume up to about 40 just for it to be loud enough to hear and the clarity/bass are terrible.

I've look through all of the settings in the head unit and on my phone and I don't see anything to adjust or change. Has anyone else experienced this issue or know how I can fix this. I never experienced this in my old car when connecting to the stereo via bluetooth.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This happened to me once on a different car and the problem was that the volume on my phone (not ringer volume but phone audio volume) was too low. Once I raised it the audio in the car came through well at a lower car audio volume setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that and checked my phone to make sure the volume was all the way up and it was. Surly there has to be a setting or something to adjust. Otherwise this is a terrible design flaw in the UI.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Are you saying the quality of your XM radio volume goes down when you connect your phone. Just want to understand since the 2 shouldn't be related unless you are streaming audio from your phone.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, when I listen to the radio or XM I have the volume between 20-23 and the sound quality is fine or as expected. The problem is when I connect my phone to stream music the quality of that sound is horrible. And then I have to turn the volume knob on the head unit up to about 40 just to hear the music. It doesn't matter if I connect via bluetooth, android auto or AUX cord, they all sound bad.

I've already checked my phone to make sure the output audio was all the way up and it is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It goes the same way with any audio source... including USB. Many have already complained about that. Hyundai doesn't care...

·
Registered
848 Posts
you probably don't want your volume to be ALL the way up on your phone--you will get some distortion that way. usually two or three segments below the top is where you get the max volume available without distortion.

That said, think about whether it is the sound quality, or just the volume level that is an issue. I have noticed that the volume level is low when playing through the aux input in my Elantra--don't know what the Tucson is like becuase I haven't driven it that much--but the quality of the sound is fine. Sometimes I will try to fine tune the sound by selecting a different EQ setting. I know it would be distorted, however, if I turned it all the way up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll try that later today. Hopefully this is fixable and doesn't turn out to be just another disappointment with this vehicle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
you probably don't want your volume to be ALL the way up on your phone--you will get some distortion that way. usually two or three segments below the top is where you get the max volume available without distortion.
That's only true for AUX connection, where you rely on the phone's DAC, the qulity of the connections and the head unit's input dynamic range. On Bluetooth the audio is streamed digitally so having it louder or softer doesn't really matter (actually having it too quiet means you amplify the output of the HU's DAC a lot which can bring noise and distortion).

But yes, it seems that although EUDM has 2 head unit versions (with/without Android Auto / Apple CarPlay) and USDM also has 2 sound quality levels (with/without center speaker and subwoofer). It's a constant that USB, Bluetooth and AUX inputs sound like crap compared to FM/XM radio.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is a problem i have had with 2 hyundai vehicles so far, my 2015 santa fe sport and my 2017 tucson. When my iphone 7 is connected via bluetooth, the sound is god awful. However, when connected through the usb port, it sounds as i would expect. I took both my cars to the dealership and they told me it was me and that they didnt hear anything. Please let me know if you find a solution.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That's only true for AUX connection, where you rely on the phone's DAC, the qulity of the connections and the head unit's input dynamic range.
True.

Responding to the original poster, who wrote, "As soon as I connect my phone through bluetooth, android auto or AUX cord the sound quality goes to crap. " (emphasis mine).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts