Hyundai Forums banner

2017 Tucson engine failure

28K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  SGR 
#1 ·
I purchased a brand new 2017 Hyundai Tucson 1.6LT, AWD, one step down from the Ultimate. I purchased the vehicle in March of this year.

While traveling back from Ohio on June 11th (I live in Ontario, Canada), the engine started making a strange clicking noise. I thought nothing of it ... would just bring it back to the dealer once I got back to Ontario.

There were only 6000 kms on the car. It hadn't even had it's first oil change.

I was on the highway in Detroit heading to Windsor when the engine started making horrible noises and the engine light began to flash. The car struggled but I managed to get off of the highway and into a gas station parking lot. It would not start once I parked it in the parking lot. I called Hyundai Roadside Assistance and waited for more than 4 hrs for a tow to the closest Hyundai dealership in Michigan (with my wife and 3 month old daughter in the vehicle - that was fun). I dropped the keys off in the drop box and stayed in a nearby hotel.

The next morning, I headed back to the shop and they stated there was no oil in the engine. None at all. They had no idea how this was the case and I didn't either. They would need to complete an engine diagnostic to determine if this was a warranty issue. They also stated that Hyundai do not sell the 1.6T engine in the US as of now. Said they could figure it out however.

So back I went to Canada, without my brand new vehicle (luckily my parents were traveling with us so I could drive back with them and didn't need to rent a car or anything like that).

I followed up with the dealer a few times over the couple days. They stated that they could not determine what had happened to the engine. They attempted to start it and it wouldn't start. They had to push it into the shop.

On June 14th, I received an email from the shop that the DPSM had authorized the complete replacement of the engine assembly as well as a new turbo.

I asked the shop if they ever figured out what had happened to the old one -- they said that they did not tear down the engine .

Apparently, Hyundai is having the engine repairs completed by the shop in Michigan ... rather than sending it back to Canada to have the repairs completed by a shop who has seen this engine before. PLUS, they expect me to go back to Michigan to pick up the vehicle. They will not being it back to my local shop for us.

They stated to me that they would look over the engine once I bring it back to them ... once I have driven over 300 kms on it.

The above does not make very much sense to me at all.

I am going to be fighting to see if they can at least bring the car back to Canada for me. I wouldn't feel too comfortable driving it without knowing that the repairs were completed correctly (again, this shop has never seen this engine before).

I'm also thinking of fighting for a extended warranty or a new vehicle from Hyundai to ease the negative thoughts I am having on this vehicle at this time.

I posted here to see if anybody else has had a similar experience with Hyundai. How reasonable are they for warranty claims? Who is the best party to contact to inquire about warranty claims - the shop where I purchased the vehicle from? Or can I contact Hyundai directly?

Any thoughts or guidance are much appreciated.

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
Other than recall updates, I have had no warrant claims, but I do have a different, but somewhat similar, issue with Hyundai Corporate. I purchased the Pre-Paid Scheduled Maintenance service when I bought my Tucson. The agreement clearly states that engine oil be replaced based on mileage or every six months, whichever occurs first. It even states that I am solely responsible for arranging oil changes as scheduled. I don't drive very much; 3500 miles per year is typical for me. I tried to arrange with the local dealer an oil change at the six month interval, but Hyundai denied the service because the vehicle did not have enough miles logged. I have yet to contact Hyundai Corporate, but I'm disappointed with them not honoring the contract that they wrote.

Good luck with your Tucson.

#40 ·
Just today the same thing happen to me I noticed last night my car making a horrible noise. I just had the oil changed and last night there was no oil in my car. My boyfriends filled it up and I got it home. Today I was driving it to the dealership and it completely stopped in middle of intersection had to coast it in a parking lot. Again lift the hood car is smoking and no oil in the car just put 3 quarts in night before. The cR was still making a horrible sound. I could turn it on but couldn't go anywhere. Had it towed to the dealership hours later they call and told me my engine blew up. Now I had my car there 2 weeks ago for a recall and they told me everything looked real good. Now I have no car no engine and I'm still covered under my 60000 mile warranty. I need a loner and was told they have to wait for them to approve the warranty before they can get me a loner for free. My warning lights have never come on to warn me something wasn't right with the car never once has my maintenance light come on ever. The only one that seemed to work was the tire pressure light. I just had to replace my battery but had no warning it was low, the oil light battery and check engine light had never come on until my car stalled today. Someone is def at fault and it sure isn't me. I had no holes in the engine or oil pan no oil was leaking not even burning, so why can't Hyundai give me a straight answer to what it was that caused this. Not to mention how dangerous. Im a single mother with a 11 year old. We could have gotten in a serious accident or car could have exploded. SMH. Luckily I keep everything from maintenance work on it to show I kept up with everything

#6 ·
I guess if you keep your vehicles more than five years, you have deep pockets and you have no mechanical knowledge it may be worth it but with four years 100% bumper to bumper factory coverage and a 100,000 mile power train warranty, I personally think your throwing your money away. But that's only my two cents.......

#5 ·
Terrible experience. The 1.6 has been around for at least 5 years and has appeared in lots of guises, including a 202hp turbo in the Veloster. I've never seen much complaints, and I have a lot of Hyundai friends. I deeply sympathize with your nightmare, breaking down in a Savage Country and all. But no manufacturing is perfect, and Hyundai Canada is a totally separate company so it's nice that the two Hyundais worked it out. You are getting a new engine without hassle, and you have a long warranty on the engine. Outside of filing a suit here in Yankee land, and our Lawyers are expensive, I can only suggestHyundai Canada will be responsive to reimbursing your travel expenses. Good Luck, eh?

#8 ·
The new 1.6L Turbo has been breaking pistons

Seen a few already with odd noise.. drop oil pan and find pieces of piston skirt...with you at speed on interstate, aggravated the situation to point that maybe lost rings seal and digested oil.

No need to tear it down,, look in oil pan,, diag all done

Last ones we did, we received LONG BLOCK,, took little bit to get them,, and remind fella to put spark plugs in the head,, Hyundai didnt put plugs ours..

Regards to poor fella assigned the job,,, it is royal PIA... (I haven't done 1, but seen what it take to do, very poor engineering for service)

#12 ·
I"m going to go out on a limb and say the original poster misunderstood what the people at the Hyundai dealership said to him. They most likely told him that they are not using the 1.6T motor in the new Tucsons. There is no possibility they have not seen this motor before.

#13 ·
I just want to point out that his car has just over 3000miles over it (assuming very new) and he took it on a far road trip? to my understanding (and I could be wrong) shouldn't you wait to break in your car first before doing any long driving like that? also first oil change should of been at 3000-3500 miles?

any thoughts on that? if there was no oil in the car, maybe you used it all up on your road trip, or also your dealership you bought didnt make sure you were full and ready to go after purchasing. you could of been running on empty oil for a while.

#14 ·
The break in period is 600 miles (1000 KM). Driving on a long trip at 3000 miles should not cause any concern.
The owner's manual calls for the first oil change to be at 7500 miles, unless operated in severe conditions. Many people like to do their first oil change earlier, but there is no need to, according to the manual.
My question to OP would be has he ever checked his oil level? The owner's manual recommends checking the oil every time you fill your gas tank. Evenf you only check your oil every week or two, you might have discovered an oil consumption issue before it left you stranded. My guess is they would have still replaced the engine under warranty, but it would probably have happened before your big trip.

#15 ·
It seems to me there must be more to the story than this. I have personally purchased about a dozen new Hyundais in all configurations and have never had an engine problem. I have never heard of a situation where there was no oil in an engine. That is not to say that the owner is not being truthful. I'm merely stating that I've never heard of such a problem.

What I don't understand is why anyone doesn't just take their Hyundais to the local dealer for regular oil changes. Mine come with two year free maintenance and doesn't cost a red cent. I worked for the dealer in the past picking up cars at other dealers so know all the personnel very well.

What I have heard that engine failure, which is rare, is usually attributed to sludge. That comes from lack of regular oil changes. The tolerances of engines of today (all makes and models) is much tighter in the past so if there is blockage of oil galleries it could freeze up an engine rather quickly without being lubricated. But the oils of today are vastly superior than in years past.

I just can't imagine where all the oil would go unless there was a leak somewhere. May thousands of these engines have been made without problems. A lot of complaints and bellyaching has gone on about the DCT transmission mainly because people don't know how to read the clear instructions and treat it like a regular automatic.

The policy of Hyundai and Kia, to my knowledge is never to open an engine or transmission. It is a remove and replace deal. When this problem is addressed, I would like to know what was found. There has to be a logical explanation.

#17 ·
I have never heard of a situation where there was no oil in an engine. That is not to say that the owner is not being truthful. I'm merely stating that I've never heard of such a problem.
Thought the same. For all the oil in a new engine to be lost such that even service personnel can't find evidence of a major leak or fault is afaik quite literally unheard of. That would be one seriously alarming problem.

If I were a cop I'd be wondering if the OP has enemies :confused:

#29 ·
Whatever happened to "puling over and checking everything" any time a new noise is heard. Maybe the OP could've avoided an issue.

Turbo engines require octane. Sorry, but automaker caters to cheapskates that want to save a couple dollars a year by using regular. Regular recommendation is suicide. Obviously, statistics plays a role and looks like the OP didn't make it past the warranty prior to the failure.

I was under the impression that LSPI isn't an issue anymore with the Hyundais because of tuning.

And yes, ANY type of pre-ignition will trash pistons. It doesn't need to be the "LS" variety.

My recommendation is to use premium fuel with ANY of the Hyundai/Kia turbo engines.

BTW, I was understand that the 1st oil change in Canada for the 1.6T was 5000km. OP was overdue. Glad that the US dealer took care of it. And, the 1.6T was used in the USA in the Veloster, Elantra, Tucson, Sonata, Forte, Optima.... its known well enough at ANY Hyundai/Kia dealership in the USA.

Reactions: Joemsj51
#31 ·
Sorry, ANYTIME something doesn't feel right or sound right, you pull over in the 1st safest place and look everything over. Any engine noise is an immediate coolant and oil level check, belt hose check, normal leakage look(smoke/smells), and in these parts, critters that get into everything...

And, any suspension handling issue, ride noise.... usually is good to make sure tires are snug and at PSI.

That is vehicle owner's common sense 101. Shoving head up arse and keep driving are dangerous and all too common. I've seen way too many blown tires/engines/transmissions, missing/flying wheels, destroyed shocks/struts/balljoints... all that could've been avoided if person paid attention o the noises and not ignored them. Forums are also full of owners that don't act on ANYTHING. Sad!

You have a new engine. Change the oil out early as required. Use a synthetic since its a hot running turbo. And, avoid any/all preignition/detonation by using a premium fuel(at least during the summer). Canadian winters are cold and long enough for regular, or at least I hope so.

#34 ·
This thread has become making a mountain out of a mole hill. Of course if strange noises start up the prudent thing to do is to safely exit the road and see if anything can be determined and if necessary call road service.

My whole point is that I think driving a car and it has no oil in it is preposterous. One might make it a mile or so before it grenades or seizes up.

I refuse to believe that the dealer found "no" oil in the engine.

#35 ·
Too little data to really know what the cause was. For all you know you could have had an oil burner since break in. This reinforces my habit of weekly checking of oil and something I learned as a teenager. Before a trip: check the oil, check the tire pressure, fluids, etc.

Wishing you better experiences in the future.

#36 ·
I purchased a brand new 2017 Hyundai Tucson 1.6LT, AWD, one step down from the Ultimate. I purchased the vehicle in March of this year.

While traveling back from Ohio on June 11th (I live in Ontario, Canada), the engine started making a strange clicking noise. I thought nothing of it ... would just bring it back to the dealer once I got back to Ontario.

I was on the highway in Detroit heading to Windsor when the engine started making horrible noises and the engine light began to flash. The car struggled but I managed to get off of the highway and into a gas station parking lot. It would not start once I parked it in the parking lot. I called Hyundai Roadside Assistance and waited for more than 4 hrs for a tow to the closest Hyundai dealership in Michigan (with my wife and 3 month old daughter in the vehicle - that was fun). I dropped the keys off in the drop box and stayed in a nearby hotel.

The next morning, I headed back to the shop and they stated there was no oil in the engine. None at all. They had no idea how this was the case and I didn't either. They would need to complete an engine diagnostic to determine if this was a warranty issue. They also stated that Hyundai do not sell the 1.6T engine in the US as of now. Said they could figure it out however.

So back I went to Canada, without my brand new vehicle (luckily my parents were traveling with us so I could drive back with them and didn't need to rent a car or anything like that).

I followed up with the dealer a few times over the couple days. They stated that they could not determine what had happened to the engine. They attempted to start it and it wouldn't start. They had to push it into the shop.

On June 14th, I received an email from the shop that the DPSM had authorized the complete replacement of the engine assembly as well as a new turbo.

I asked the shop if they ever figured out what had happened to the old one -- they said that they did not tear down the engine .

Apparently, Hyundai is having the engine repairs completed by the shop in Michigan ... rather than sending it back to Canada to have the repairs completed by a shop who has seen this engine before. PLUS, they expect me to go back to Michigan to pick up the vehicle. They will not being it back to my local shop for us.

They stated to me that they would look over the engine once I bring it back to them ... once I have driven over 300 kms on it.

I am going to be fighting to see if they can at least bring the car back to Canada for me. I wouldn't feel too comfortable driving it without knowing that the repairs were completed correctly (again, this shop has never seen this engine before).

I'm also thinking of fighting for a extended warranty or a new vehicle from Hyundai to ease the negative thoughts I am having on this vehicle at this time.

I posted here to see if anybody else has had a similar experience with Hyundai. How reasonable are they for warranty claims? Who is the best party to contact to inquire about warranty claims - the shop where I purchased the vehicle from? Or can I contact Hyundai directly?

Thanks,

I purchased a brand new 2017 Hyundai Tucson two years ago and just last week out of nowhere my engine started overheating. It only has 34000 miles on it and I’ve religiously gotten the oil changed. Had to have it towed to the dealership where I purchased it and they informed me the engine needed to be replaced but claim they have no idea what happened. So they gave me a rental car because they said it could take up to a month to fix. I got a Hyundai because they have a great warranty and thank goodness the warranty will cover the repairs. Now I’m not even sure I want it. The weird part is the car never made any weird noises it drove fine before the engine quit working. My next car will not be a Hyundai!

#37 ·
Seriously, are there people who leave the factory engine oil fill for in so long? We've dumbed down people so much with TPMS, lifetime fluid trannys, and lifetime factory fuel filters...God help us.

OP reminds me of work dumbass who hit a deer on the road and kept driving until his engine oveheated (doens't know what temp gauge or speedometer are on dash) and then blew cause deer collision damaged his radiator. He didn't even stop and look at the damage but the person is so clueless he needs to go to a shop to add windshield wiper fluid to his car.

#39 ·

Thanks,
My engine failed just after my warranty expired. I am now trying to find a manual to get the motor out to rebuild it and we can't find a manual for a 2016 hyundai tucson

#41 ·
Bought my 2017 Hyundai in April 2017. In June 2021 with 73k miles the engine stopped working because it was running through oil and I was still 1k miles from needing an oil change. It's a known engine issue. They are submitting to Hyundai for a full engine replacement under the 100k warranty. It will be a month or two before it's done because the parts are on back order.

Sounds like a silent recall on Hyundai's part.

#47 ·
First of all, Hyundai cars are just not safe! That's exactly why I never got, and never will, get myself a Hyundai! I always go for a Tata or a Ford. Besides, the ride quality is by far the best, the designs are pretty bad, and they just have some bizarre feature omission. Yeah, I might be biased, but I really am not a fan of Hyundais. However, I must say that even though Hyundai is kind of the parent company of Kia Motors, I quite like some Kia models. Anyways, I'm here because I want to ask you guys whether you have ever scrapped a car/van before? I've got a Citroen Berlingo that I wanna get rid of, and I checked on Scrap My Van Quickly & Easily For The Best Price how much money they would give me for the van, and it was something around 150. So, please, if you've been through this before, share with me your experiences!

#48 ·
First of all, Hyundai cars are just not safe! That's exactly why I never got, and never will, get myself a Hyundai! I always go for a Tata or a Ford. Besides, the ride quality is by far the best, the designs are pretty bad, and they just have some bizarre feature omission. Yeah, I might be biased, but I really am not a fan of Hyundais. However, I must say that even though Hyundai is kind of the parent company of Kia Motors, I quite like some Kia models. Anyways, I'm here because I want to ask you guys whether you have ever scrapped a car/van before? I've got a Citroen Berlingo that I wanna get rid of, and I checked on Scrap My Van Quickly & Easily For The Best Price how much money they would give me for the van, and it was something around 150. So, please, if you've been through this before, share with me your experiences!
I have donated my Cutlass Ciera to a company that I do nor remember. Of course they did not give a penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.