Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a brand new 2017 Hyundai Tucson 1.6LT, AWD, one step down from the Ultimate. I purchased the vehicle in March of this year.

While traveling back from Ohio on June 11th (I live in Ontario, Canada), the engine started making a strange clicking noise. I thought nothing of it ... would just bring it back to the dealer once I got back to Ontario.

There were only 6000 kms on the car. It hadn't even had it's first oil change.

I was on the highway in Detroit heading to Windsor when the engine started making horrible noises and the engine light began to flash. The car struggled but I managed to get off of the highway and into a gas station parking lot. It would not start once I parked it in the parking lot. I called Hyundai Roadside Assistance and waited for more than 4 hrs for a tow to the closest Hyundai dealership in Michigan (with my wife and 3 month old daughter in the vehicle - that was fun). I dropped the keys off in the drop box and stayed in a nearby hotel.

The next morning, I headed back to the shop and they stated there was no oil in the engine. None at all. They had no idea how this was the case and I didn't either. They would need to complete an engine diagnostic to determine if this was a warranty issue. They also stated that Hyundai do not sell the 1.6T engine in the US as of now. Said they could figure it out however.

So back I went to Canada, without my brand new vehicle (luckily my parents were traveling with us so I could drive back with them and didn't need to rent a car or anything like that).

I followed up with the dealer a few times over the couple days. They stated that they could not determine what had happened to the engine. They attempted to start it and it wouldn't start. They had to push it into the shop.

On June 14th, I received an email from the shop that the DPSM had authorized the complete replacement of the engine assembly as well as a new turbo.

I asked the shop if they ever figured out what had happened to the old one -- they said that they did not tear down the engine .

Apparently, Hyundai is having the engine repairs completed by the shop in Michigan ... rather than sending it back to Canada to have the repairs completed by a shop who has seen this engine before. PLUS, they expect me to go back to Michigan to pick up the vehicle. They will not being it back to my local shop for us.

They stated to me that they would look over the engine once I bring it back to them ... once I have driven over 300 kms on it.

The above does not make very much sense to me at all.

I am going to be fighting to see if they can at least bring the car back to Canada for me. I wouldn't feel too comfortable driving it without knowing that the repairs were completed correctly (again, this shop has never seen this engine before).

I'm also thinking of fighting for a extended warranty or a new vehicle from Hyundai to ease the negative thoughts I am having on this vehicle at this time.

I posted here to see if anybody else has had a similar experience with Hyundai. How reasonable are they for warranty claims? Who is the best party to contact to inquire about warranty claims - the shop where I purchased the vehicle from? Or can I contact Hyundai directly?

Any thoughts or guidance are much appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
227 Posts
Other than recall updates, I have had no warrant claims, but I do have a different, but somewhat similar, issue with Hyundai Corporate. I purchased the Pre-Paid Scheduled Maintenance service when I bought my Tucson. The agreement clearly states that engine oil be replaced based on mileage or every six months, whichever occurs first. It even states that I am solely responsible for arranging oil changes as scheduled. I don't drive very much; 3500 miles per year is typical for me. I tried to arrange with the local dealer an oil change at the six month interval, but Hyundai denied the service because the vehicle did not have enough miles logged. I have yet to contact Hyundai Corporate, but I'm disappointed with them not honoring the contract that they wrote.

Good luck with your Tucson.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Terrible experience. The 1.6 has been around for at least 5 years and has appeared in lots of guises, including a 202hp turbo in the Veloster. I've never seen much complaints, and I have a lot of Hyundai friends. I deeply sympathize with your nightmare, breaking down in a Savage Country and all. But no manufacturing is perfect, and Hyundai Canada is a totally separate company so it's nice that the two Hyundais worked it out. You are getting a new engine without hassle, and you have a long warranty on the engine. Outside of filing a suit here in Yankee land, and our Lawyers are expensive, I can only suggestHyundai Canada will be responsive to reimbursing your travel expenses. Good Luck, eh?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I never purchase a vehicle without getting the extended warranty.
I guess if you keep your vehicles more than five years, you have deep pockets and you have no mechanical knowledge it may be worth it but with four years 100% bumper to bumper factory coverage and a 100,000 mile power train warranty, I personally think your throwing your money away. But that's only my two cents.......

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The new 1.6L Turbo has been breaking pistons

Seen a few already with odd noise.. drop oil pan and find pieces of piston skirt...with you at speed on interstate, aggravated the situation to point that maybe lost rings seal and digested oil.

No need to tear it down,, look in oil pan,, diag all done

Last ones we did, we received LONG BLOCK,, took little bit to get them,, and remind fella to put spark plugs in the head,, Hyundai didnt put plugs ours..

Regards to poor fella assigned the job,,, it is royal PIA... (I haven't done 1, but seen what it take to do, very poor engineering for service)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Canada Hyundais only gets 5 yrs, 100,000 KM.:|

I guess if you keep your vehicles more than five years, you have deep pockets and you have no mechanical knowledge it may be worth it but with four years 100% bumper to bumper factory coverage and a 100,000 mile power train warranty, I personally think your throwing your money away. But that's only my two cents.......

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
I never heard of this before.

They are still very much selling them. I own one and they are also in the Kona.

In any event the 2019 Tucsons are going to the 2.4 non-turbo and 6 speed automatic.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.0T
253 Posts
I"m going to go out on a limb and say the original poster misunderstood what the people at the Hyundai dealership said to him. They most likely told him that they are not using the 1.6T motor in the new Tucsons. There is no possibility they have not seen this motor before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just want to point out that his car has just over 3000miles over it (assuming very new) and he took it on a far road trip? to my understanding (and I could be wrong) shouldn't you wait to break in your car first before doing any long driving like that? also first oil change should of been at 3000-3500 miles?

any thoughts on that? if there was no oil in the car, maybe you used it all up on your road trip, or also your dealership you bought didnt make sure you were full and ready to go after purchasing. you could of been running on empty oil for a while.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I just want to point out that his car has just over 3000miles over it (assuming very new) and he took it on a far road trip? to my understanding (and I could be wrong) shouldn't you wait to break in your car first before doing any long driving like that? also first oil change should of been at 3000-3500 miles?

any thoughts on that? if there was no oil in the car, maybe you used it all up on your road trip, or also your dealership you bought didnt make sure you were full and ready to go after purchasing. you could of been running on empty oil for a while.
The break in period is 600 miles (1000 KM). Driving on a long trip at 3000 miles should not cause any concern.
The owner's manual calls for the first oil change to be at 7500 miles, unless operated in severe conditions. Many people like to do their first oil change earlier, but there is no need to, according to the manual.
My question to OP would be has he ever checked his oil level? The owner's manual recommends checking the oil every time you fill your gas tank. Evenf you only check your oil every week or two, you might have discovered an oil consumption issue before it left you stranded. My guess is they would have still replaced the engine under warranty, but it would probably have happened before your big trip.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
It seems to me there must be more to the story than this. I have personally purchased about a dozen new Hyundais in all configurations and have never had an engine problem. I have never heard of a situation where there was no oil in an engine. That is not to say that the owner is not being truthful. I'm merely stating that I've never heard of such a problem.

What I don't understand is why anyone doesn't just take their Hyundais to the local dealer for regular oil changes. Mine come with two year free maintenance and doesn't cost a red cent. I worked for the dealer in the past picking up cars at other dealers so know all the personnel very well.

What I have heard that engine failure, which is rare, is usually attributed to sludge. That comes from lack of regular oil changes. The tolerances of engines of today (all makes and models) is much tighter in the past so if there is blockage of oil galleries it could freeze up an engine rather quickly without being lubricated. But the oils of today are vastly superior than in years past.

I just can't imagine where all the oil would go unless there was a leak somewhere. May thousands of these engines have been made without problems. A lot of complaints and bellyaching has gone on about the DCT transmission mainly because people don't know how to read the clear instructions and treat it like a regular automatic.

The policy of Hyundai and Kia, to my knowledge is never to open an engine or transmission. It is a remove and replace deal. When this problem is addressed, I would like to know what was found. There has to be a logical explanation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The break in period is 600 miles (1000 KM). Driving on a long trip at 3000 miles should not cause any concern.
The owner's manual calls for the first oil change to be at 7500 miles, unless operated in severe conditions. Many people like to do their first oil change earlier, but there is no need to, according to the manual.
My question to OP would be has he ever checked his oil level? The owner's manual recommends checking the oil every time you fill your gas tank. Evenf you only check your oil every week or two, you might have discovered an oil consumption issue before it left you stranded. My guess is they would have still replaced the engine under warranty, but it would probably have happened before your big trip.
I think its 3000-3500miles first oil change and then after that 7,500?, thats what mine says (Limited version). I dont have the manual infront of me, but I know there are two schedules for either 2.0 or 1.6.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have never heard of a situation where there was no oil in an engine. That is not to say that the owner is not being truthful. I'm merely stating that I've never heard of such a problem.
Thought the same. For all the oil in a new engine to be lost such that even service personnel can't find evidence of a major leak or fault is afaik quite literally unheard of. That would be one seriously alarming problem.

If I were a cop I'd be wondering if the OP has enemies :confused:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm going to check my oil levels more frequently as a result of this horror story. What I don't understand is if we have a guage telling us how much fuel we have why can't we gave a guage telling us something similar for engine oil?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Some of the Euro luxury cars (BMW, Mercedes etc.) have an oil level sensor and readout on the dash.
Some even have no dipstick.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts