Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize the answer is likely 'no,' but:

My wife has the 2017 Tucson, Limited, Ultimate. We're going on a trip, and will likely fill the rear up enough to block any view with the rear-view mirror. I thought it might be interesting if there were a way to turn on the rear camera when wanted, to see what's behind us that way.

I believe some vehicles provide this option, but was wondering if there is any way to do this with the Tucson?

Thanks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Find out where the reverse switch is and run jumper controlled by the an inside auxiliary switch. Only issue is your reverse sensors would also be active.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Find out where the reverse switch is and run jumper controlled by the an inside auxiliary switch. Only issue is your reverse sensors would also be active.

And your reverse lights!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
No, there is not. No back up camera's will do that, at least not that I've ran across. But loaded, it's handy when you are backing up. And the blind spot monitors while on the road.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the very quick replies.

At this point, I'm not interested in rewiring things, was just wondering if there were some built-in way to do it. And per my post, I really didn't think so, but it never hurts to ask.

Agreed on the usefulness of the camera when backing up, as well as the BSD for general usage. I have and love these on my Sonata, which definitely contributed to our choice of the Tucson for her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, there is not. No back up camera's will do that, at least not that I've ran across. But loaded, it's handy when you are backing up. And the blind spot monitors while on the road.
I had a 2017 Ram 1500 that you could activate the backup cam when in drive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 2017 Ram 1500 that you could activate the backup cam when in drive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
As I searched, I did come across a couple of pages where people reported their vehicle did have this option. It would be good to have that choice.

·
Registered
842 Posts
It's not as great as you think. Just speaking from experience. When I had a Dodge Charger I installed a device called Lockpick which allows you to activate cameras, play videos, and use other options which are normally locked while driving.

It wasn't that great. It was more of a distraction.
Also it wasn't a simple turn on / off for the camera. The device added options to steering wheel controls that had to be accessed a certain way.

Lockpick is available for various vehicles but not Hyundai
https://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know how to do it but it is possible. mine did it by accident in a bad storm. hit a big puddle and for a day after the reverse camera was stuck on while driving.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have a Pioneer 4200NEX Head Unit installed in my tucson. I wired the backup camera so it's on all the time, and can quickly select the camera to show on the screen.

We hauled my friends motorcycle and he for some reason thought 1 strap was good enough. I wasn't going to run out and buy straps for him and we only needed to drive it 30 minutes, so off we went. I kept the backup camera on the screen the whole time and sure enough when the bike started to slump over, I pulled over and we readjusted. We ended up doing this like 5 times in 30 minutes. But having the backup camera on was nice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 2018 Chevy Colorado does it. Pretty neat feature I think. I have a friend that just traded her 2017 Eco in on one. I drove it all last week. Overall it would be a hard pass for me. under powered and uncomfortable seats. That is my review :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just bought my wife a Kenwood HU for her car, it has a dedicated backup cam button that can be viewed anytime and left on if so desired.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts