Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/vsQRHOL9rf8

Made a vid on how to do this. The oem pipe is resonated & does not provide direct flow. With this little switch, it made a small, but noticeable difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used a plain piece of pipe, not even beaded, was around 2.25" in diameter. really snug fit. Made a good difference on initial acceleration(smoother), and averaged almost 40mpg on a 5 hour road trip the following weekend

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
I used a plain piece of pipe, not even beaded, was around 2.25" in diameter. really snug fit. Made a good difference on initial acceleration(smoother), and averaged almost 40mpg on a 5 hour road trip the following weekend

I'm all for getting smoother acceleration and better mileage but how does this smooth walled pipe provide close to 10 miles more per gallon of fuel??

My best mpg is around 31.4 on a long trip averaging around 78mph.

Also, could a piece of PVC do the same job?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm all for getting smoother acceleration and better mileage but how does this smooth walled pipe provide close to 10 miles more per gallon of fuel??

I'm not sure why it does but it does. went from 34 highway to 39.7 highway. Combined we went from 31 to 33-34.

I wouldn't trust PVC as its between the turbo and intercooler(hot side).

·
Registered
562 Posts
https://youtu.be/vsQRHOL9rf8

Made a vid on how to do this. The oem pipe is resonated & does not provide direct flow. With this little switch, it made a small, but noticeable difference.
Your video shows replacing a pipe on the top side of the engine.

I'm assuming this......https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lEb3IR-clO6N8qS0lu1Y_jU7WpofxFdE/edit

is a different pipe located on the bottom side? Yes, I'm mechanically inclined but this is my first turbo equipped vehicle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The oem pipe is resonated which causes power loss and lower mileage

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your video shows replacing a pipe on the top side of the engine.

I'm assuming this......https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lEb3IR-clO6N8qS0lu1Y_jU7WpofxFdE/edit

is a different pipe located on the bottom side? Yes, I'm mechanically inclined but this is my first turbo equipped vehicle.
No. that piece replaces a factory piece on that part, called the hot side charge pipe. That entire assembly goes from the turbo to the intercooler inlet. The AEM Charge Pipe kit, for example, replaces both the hot side(turbo discharge) and cold side(intercooler to throttle body) pipes. The resonator delete is a small part in the top hot side charge pipe. I can post pictures when I get home from work if you'd like.

·
Registered
562 Posts
No. that piece replaces a factory piece on that part, called the hot side charge pipe. That entire assembly goes from the turbo to the intercooler inlet. The AEM Charge Pipe kit, for example, replaces both the hot side(turbo discharge) and cold side(intercooler to throttle body) pipes. The resonator delete is a small part in the top hot side charge pipe. I can post pictures when I get home from work if you'd like.

I saw the video and the pipe he used. It looks the same length has the $22.00 pipe from the site I posted. Are they the same length? If so, I'll order one...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw the video and the pipe he used. It looks the same length has the $22.00 pipe from the site I posted. Are they the same length? If so, I'll order one...
yes. same length, just cheaper to diy if you happen to have the stuff around. honestly the purchased one is probably better since its beaded on the ends, and won't pop off under boost.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes. same length, just cheaper to diy if you happen to have the stuff around. honestly the purchased one is probably better since its beaded on the ends, and won't pop off under boost.

Exactly, don't go cheap! 20 cuz shouldn't break anyone's wallet here.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my length of pipe was free dollars, so I cant complain. ;)

Hopefully it doesn't pop off if its not beaded!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, will replacing the top and bottom pipes with these.......

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lEb3IR-clO6N8qS0lu1Y_jU7WpofxFdE/edit

affect the tune or trigger ecm error codes?

Whoever installed the top turbo piping from the factory wanted to make sure the end user played **** removing the hose clamps.
All of the clamp screws are located almost underneath of the rubber seals. I assume that piping was put together prior to installing it on the engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, will replacing the top and bottom pipes with these.......

Whoever installed the top turbo piping from the factory wanted to make sure the end user played **** removing the hose clamps.
All of the clamp screws are located almost underneath of the rubber seals. I assume that piping was put together prior to installing it on the engine.
In almost 1500 miles I have no check engine lights from replacing the resonator. I haven't heard of any check engine lights from using the AEM charge piping, either.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

80k miles on my 16' Veloster Turbo & havent havent to adjust it at All! Still hitting 21psi

So the Tucson is actually easier to access and will probably never need adjustments.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I admit I was a little skeptical about this but since installing the pipe to the top charge pipe, smoother acceleration and better milage.

If I decide to replace the lower factory pipe with the same smooth pipe, I'm assuming I'll see even better??

·
Registered
43 Posts
I admit I was a little skeptical about this but since installing the pipe to the top charge pipe, smoother acceleration and better milage.

If I decide to replace the lower factory pipe with the same smooth pipe, I'm assuming I'll see even better??
Hopefully someone with then can chime in. I don't have them on my wife's Tucson, so I can't say.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Simple question :D
If smooth pipe gives better performance, why did they install resonator? :D
I'm not so familiar with turbo engines...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts