Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Sonata sport began giving me engine light warnings at around 34K miles. According to dealership in SA TX I had no oil in my car. I am now working with dealership to record my oil consumption every 1,000 miles. They confirm that they had to put 2 qts in because the oil was low. When this happened the first time my car only made it 1,800 until the engine light came on again which prompted me to bring car to dealer and they confirmed that I was almost out of oil. I have to do this 1k mile test 2 more times and not sure of my options after completing. Will keep posting on this issue for other 2017 Sonata Sport drivers.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Our '11 Optima 2.0T, oil consumption test, 2 qts. 730 miles. Dealer pulled valve cover, spoke with Kia, kept car, gave me a loner, engine replaced, car back 1 week and good to go.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My 2017 Sonata sport began giving me engine light warnings at around 34K miles. According to dealership in SA TX I had no oil in my car. I am now working with dealership to record my oil consumption every 1,000 miles. They confirm that they had to put 2 qts in because the oil was low.
You need to get into the habit of checking the oil level on the dipstick.
This is true with any car that has an oil dipstick.
In the Owner's manual it says to check the oil every time you get gas.
It's an inconvenient interval, but that's what I do with any new-to-me car until I learn how much oil it uses.
it's a sure-fire way to avoid running low on oil.

I've been fortunate to never have a car that needed makeup oil between changes.
I still check the oil every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will get a new engine. You should get a loaner as well.
After my last visit at dealership my vehicle consumed all oil after only 523 miles. Definitely something wrong, but still waiting for an official diagnosis from dealer. The protocols that have to get completed can be tiring, but hoping this is the time it will get fixed permanently. Car is in shop today and pending feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our '11 Optima 2.0T, oil consumption test, 2 qts. 730 miles. Dealer pulled valve cover, spoke with Kia, kept car, gave me a loner, engine replaced, car back 1 week and good to go.
Wow! It sounds like your experience with solution was done much quicker than mine. On my 5th time going to dealer with same concern of consuming oil too quickly. Hoping this time around I get the same solution as you did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to get into the habit of checking the oil level on the dipstick.
This is true with any car that has an oil dipstick.
In the Owner's manual it says to check the oil every time you get gas.
It's an inconvenient interval, but that's what I do with any new-to-me car until I learn how much oil it uses.
it's a sure-fire way to avoid running low on oil.

I've been fortunate to never have a car that needed makeup oil between changes.
I still check the oil every 1000 miles.
Yes, checking oil regularly was done when my car was a "new baby". The oil consumption seemed pretty normal in comparison to my last Sonata I owned. Oil consumption didn't appear to be a problem for me until after 34k miles. My car is at the dealer now, after driving only 523 miles since my last oil consumption test. Hopefully I get a solution this time around.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Wow! It sounds like your experience with solution was done much quicker than mine. On my 5th time going to dealer with same concern of consuming oil too quickly. Hoping this time around I get the same solution as you did.
Must say, Kia rose to the occasion and replaced the engine quickly. Checked with Kia direct, and not only does the original engine come with a lifetime warranty for the debris issue, the replacement also carries a lifetime warranty. Wish Hyundai would go that route with original and replacement engines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Must say, Kia rose to the occasion and replaced the engine quickly. Checked with Kia direct, and not only does the original engine come with a lifetime warranty for the debris issue, the replacement also carries a lifetime warranty. Wish Hyundai would go that route with original and replacement engines.
Any recommendations on how to handle? Any specific terminology I should bring up? Got my car back and dealer rep states that my vehicle continues to pass whatever diagnostics they do on my vehicle so they are not able to replace engine. I was told to drive it till 1k again and then come back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts