Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of a rock puncture of the inverter radiator. I would assume this is in a area of the engine in which a rock would be very unlikely to hit it. Getting charged 625.00 to fix because no warranty for puncture

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yep, Hybrid inverter has it' cooling system,, not shared with engine cooling.. open hood and see small colant bottle on top of inverter,, remind them that when they go to fill that system, thye need to use GDS and do coolant pump cycle to circulate coolant and fill to get air out.. had to repair a couple that got drain by quick lube and body shop that not gte filled,, car show up with drive concerns

Inverter get warm-hot,, car will act stupid for drive

Small radiator at front of car, along with A/C condenser.. free to catch something thrown-shot by car in front, and flight path correct, get between grill slots and damage inverter radiator or condenser,, possible to get engine radiator if exposed in right place (I had customer car 1 evening for extended drive, wheel nut punch tiny hole at bottom of radiator, and killed engine,, didnt know it, as pin hole down low, 70 on interstate, so never seen/smell anything till needle went all way up and engine stopped)..

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can see how it might happen, but yours is first one I've read of it happening. So obviously, it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

A rock would have to get through the 2 inch by 3 feet opening below the license plate holder area, or someone would have to vandalize the car.

Can you see some physical damage to the radiator?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like it's been dinged 20 or more times. Now I can see how it can be damaged by rocks. Tech told us it's the 4th one he has seen this month. Should obviously be mesh screen over that opening. I have kept the old radiator and filed complaint thru hyundai customer care.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It looks like it's been dinged 20 or more times. Now I can see how it can be damaged by rocks. Tech told us it's the 4th one he has seen this month. Should obviously be mesh screen over that opening. I have kept the old radiator and filed complaint thru hyundai customer care.
I can see about four bent fins on my 2016, but no dings on any of the plates. So the fins could of been bent in the production or installation stage. I'll keep an eye on it from now on.

Do you know if the 4 replacements are from different model years?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He did not tell me years that it was happening but living in arizona there is much rock landscaping so maybe more occurrences then other areas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's on a car with only 5100 miles on it and mostly on highway so that opening needs to be restricted by some type of mesh

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures from my car. Car has less than 7,000 miles on it, and is driven 98% of the time on the local city streets.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
He did not tell me years that it was happening but living in arizona there is much rock landscaping so maybe more occurrences then other areas
What does the bumper and rest of the front of the car look like? Commensurate with what this radiator has seen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front of bumper has a few nicks not bad at all
There must be a solution that doesn't cause reduced airflow. I can't afford almost 700.00 dollars when a rock kicks up and punctures a radiator

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter just had the same problem. 2017 sonata limited hybrid. Inverter coolant low warning light came on, she took it to the dealership and they told her the same thing... a rock must have hit and punctured the inverter radiator. Our tech said it was the first time they had ever seen this happen, but after reading these posts, I’m seeing where another tech said he had seen this happen 4x in one month... I’m concerned that this a design flaw. Has anyone else spoken to a tech, customer service or Hyundai corporate about this? Not excited about a $600 repair, especially when the OEM part is $189 retail. $400 labor....I’ve got 2 Genesis’ and my other daughter drives an Elantra, neither of us have had a problem. With this design flaw, I am concerned that this could be happening multiple times and am seriously considering selling the car. Shame that it is only 6 mos old.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This may be covered by your insurance, just as the windshield would be if the rock hit it instead. Of course if you have a $500 deductible, it's probably not worth it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My daughter just had the same problem. 2017 sonata limited hybrid. Inverter coolant low warning light came on, she took it to the dealership and they told her the same thing... a rock must have hit and punctured the inverter radiator. Our tech said it was the first time they had ever seen this happen, but after reading these posts, I’m seeing where another tech said he had seen this happen 4x in one month... I’m concerned that this a design flaw. Has anyone else spoken to a tech, customer service or Hyundai corporate about this? Not excited about a $600 repair, especially when the OEM part is $189 retail. $400 labor....I’ve got 2 Genesis’ and my other daughter drives an Elantra, neither of us have had a problem. With this design flaw, I am concerned that this could be happening multiple times and am seriously considering selling the car. Shame that it is only 6 mos old.

I would file a complaint with Hyundai and ask that they cover it under your warranty.

I would also sign up at TrueDelta and list your repair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am currently in this same exact situation! I received a message the other day telling me to refill the inverter fluid. I dropped by the dealer and they topped it off for free. When I got home an hour later and parked the car, I immediately saw dark green fluid dripping onto the floor. I assumed it was a leak that would be covered by the warranty, but when I took it in they found a hole they say was caused by a rock hitting it. And like you’ve mentioned, they estimate the repair at $600 ($279 for the part and the rest is labor/shop fees). I have never heard of any other car getting a radiator ruined by a rock, but I’m sure crazier things have happened. I just can’t believe something so common as a rock ruining so many Hyundai Sonata Hybrids! With Christmas coming up an an ER visit with our youngest child a few days ago, I’m not sure I can afford to pay the dealer to do the work. I’m seriously considering getting an OEM part online and attempting the work myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Explain "design flaw"....

I took a customer car home 1 night, and had wheel nut off some old GM product hit radiator,, did not know it till engine overheated,, found nut still caught in radiator, with small pin hole..

Have one for Monday getting radiator, pin hole on it from road debris,, seen a few condenser with damage from road debris come through in proper fashion and ding a tube

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yah, rocks taking out radiators is incredibly common. I will say it should be somewhat harder to take out the inverter radiator given how small the opening is for that area. This has solidified my idea to use the plastic flexible gutter guard to protect that opening. I used the metal gutter guard on my Civic previously and am using the plastic on my gf’s RAV4 hybrid.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Funny story relative to this is that years ago a colleague was driving us to a meeting we had and the conversation was about all the expense and difficulty he was having with his other vehicle getting fixed due to a punctured condenser... He also had chips in his windshield in this car. Funny part for me was that I was very uncomfortable with his driving style. He tailgated trucks and didn't seem to want to get into open and safe space on the freeway when he could... Not only does this driving style suck objects into your path, but you can't hardly see to have a chance to avoid something otherwise... I mentioned to him about being able to avoid a lot of these problems with some good driving habits and common sense lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts