Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 2017 Sonata Hybrid SE into work and parked in the parking lot. When I went back out to go to lunch I tried to unlock my car with the smart key. The car beeped twice but did not unlock. I tried again and same result 2 rapid beeps but still locked. I tried to hit the lock button and I heard nothing. I opened the car manually with the physical key and attempted to start the car up. It started to turn on but then dash lit up with a "Stop car and check brakes" warning and the ABS, ESC, and parking brake warnings came up and my car wouldn't start. I started to have some electrical issues as well. The driver window would only go down when the door was opened when I closed the door the windows would not move. The passenger window seem to be working okay. Then there's the fob, when I would hit the lock I heard nothing but the unlock would make the car beep but not unlock. I read people having somewhat similar issues but seemed at some point their cars would started up after 30 mins to an hour. That wasn't the case with mine. I went back to work and left it in the parking lot for about 4 hours and tried again. I was getting the same error and still car wouldn't start. I started to notice the power fading so I had a coworker give me a jump start and that didn't work either. I decided to take my 12V battery out and get it fully charged and tested. After getting it charged and tested being told it tested good I put in back in the vehicle and tried to start it up. The power didn't seem like it was fading anymore and the windows were going up at normal speed but still acting electrically weird. At this point I thought it might be a faulty power relay assembly in the hybrid battery cause the issue with the brakes and the electrical system so I have my car towed into the Hyundai Dealership.

After 2 days my service manager tells me I have a bad 12V battery and I need to replace it and they have one for around $300. I tell them before I brought the car in I had the battery tested and it tested good I was getting 600 CCA and 13.65V. I even had a multimeter to test it myself on top of auto part store test. They insisted the battery was bad and needed to be replaced. I just wanted to fix the issue and get my car back as I didn't have another car and wasn't given a rental or loaner. I told them fine but I'll bring a new battery for you. I found the exact battery that day and paid $150 brought it in for them to switch out.

The next day I don't hear anything from them so I call in late in the day and they tell me the car Is still giving the errors and not starting up and they're running test to see what's wrong, I'm not surprised. About 4 days and a bad review later I'm told by the dealership that they found 2 connectors unplugged. The ABS connector and the Active air flap connector.

This is mind boggling to me cause I can't for the life of me figure out why these 2 connectors would be unplugged. The only thing I can think of is an oil change that I got 4000 miles ago or a State inspection and emission test I got a week and a half before the issue popped up. I don't see anyone disconnecting those for an oil change and the State inspection should mostly be visual. I don't see them disconnecting the ABS and AAF and forgetting to plug them back in. It's possible but I just don't see that happening.

I see the more likely scenario as them unplugging those connectors trying to diagnose the issue as they told me they had several Hybrid techs working on it cause they couldn't figure what the issue was and maybe one tech did it and didn't communicate that to the others but that's just me trying to make sense of all this. And even if that was the case would that also cause they fob issue and the electrical issues? I can see the warning and the system not starting but I don't see it affecting the electrical that way. I'm just frustrated at this point cause it's been almost 2 weeks and I still don't have my car and nothing is making sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sucks that happened to you and you’ve been without a vehicle. It does seem like the dealership techs need much more training on diagnosing their hybrids. Or maybe the warning lights need to be more accurate so the diagnosis is easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
I'm waiting for the reader's Digest version.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Curious, are you the original owner of this 2017? One would think the battery would still be under some sort of warranty perhaps. You need to smog and inspect a 2017?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha sorry grcauto. Just venting and I was just getting my frustration out. Basically the check brake warning came out of nowhere and dearlership was having issues trying to find out what was wrong but they were terrible at giving a status update and taking their time to diagnose my issue. I didn't expect a rental right away but if they couldn't find out the cause after a week you'd think they'd reach out and take care of their customers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm the original owner JKK and the Hybrid battery is covered with a lifetime warranty for me but until they can determine if its actually the hybrid battery then the warranty doesn't kick it.

Just feels like they're trying to pin it on other non-warranty things.

Emission and state inspection required for registration renewal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah but i guess the issue is they have to figure out why my car is immobilized and what caused it. Then they have to contact Hyundai Corp and get approval for warranty repairs. But thats just it they can't figure out whats wrong so they're not treating it as a warranty issue until they do. I just never had it take this long to get a diagnosis.

I did reached out to Hyundai Corp today and they told me since its taking this long to just figure this out they're going to get me a case manager and see about getting me a loaner. I've been getting a lot of lip service so we'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes, those are the basics and glad you got a case manager and loaner. This is and should be standard, especially since your situation is typical and the experts have difficulty with figuring the root causes even with these "advanced" hybrid vehicles. I hope you keep us informed on the outcomes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after the dealership spoke with Hyundai consultants Hyundai said it might be a faulty HPCU and it needs to be replaced. Then after a lot of back and forth cause Hyundai didn't want to replace it without knowing why the abs and aav was disconnected they finally gave the go ahead to replace the HPCU. I really didn't see this coming as I expected Hyundai to take a firm stance and deny the repair. I'm glad they didn't as I'm certain this happened after the fact so I'm glad that Hyundai stepped up and did right by the customer. I read a lot of stories and they don't all end up like this. Lesson learned but fortunately not the hard way. Thanks for everyones help and contribution.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Let us know if this is the solution. Yes, these situations can go various ways, and I've had Hyundai buy back a vehicle even and it was not an easy process, but was FAIR. Also, they have been quite reasonable for other issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fb-tonya-tdr3435

hybrid warning

Jump to LatestFollow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

B
blackburn-hero
· Registered
Joined Jun 16, 2018
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 Jun 16, 2018
Hi,

My Uncle's friends have a 2012 sonata hybrid. The car won't start, because the hybrid system warning is on the cluster. They said the hybrid battery is too low.
I want to know if a possible to charge this battery?

Thanks.
ps: sorry my english is not good, I speak french.

Bookmark

[IMG alt="krisjan"]https://www.hyundai-forums.com/d1/avatars/m/472/472194.jpg?1562670851[/IMG]
krisjan
· Registered
Joined Jul 12, 2014
·
164 Posts
#2 Jun 16, 2018
The combustion engine will charge the hybrid battery when the car is running. However, in order to start the car the conventional 12 volt battery (located in the trunk) must be charged up or the car cannot start. I suggest that they do a conventional jump start with jumper cables on the regular (trunk) battery. Once started, the gas engine should start and then begin charging the hybrid battery. They may need to replace the 12v battery.

Show Full Signature
2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited

Bookmark

M
MButkus
· Registered
Joined Aug 5, 2007
·
1,721 Posts
#3 Jun 16, 2018
The one in the trunk is a standard battery, it can be jumped standard way to drive the car. There is one US battery company that sells the exact model. The terminals are reversed from normal so the model number will have a "R" on it. AutoCraft Gold BATTERY-GOLD ATOCF H6R

Other have bought the same size that fits but have extended the terminals so they will attache. A dealer wants some $375 !

If you are talking about the hybrid battery, that is a dealer question.

Bookmark

[IMG alt="sbr711"]https://www.hyundai-forums.com/d1/avatars/m/186/186516.jpg?1562670833[/IMG]
sbr711
· Registered
Joined Apr 30, 2010
·
17,554 Posts
#4 Jun 16, 2018 (Edited)
blackburn-hero said:
Hi,

My Uncle's friends have a 2012 sonata hybrid. The car won't start, because the hybrid system warning is on the cluster. They said the hybrid battery is too low.

Thanks.
Need 12V battery to turn on Hybrid Battery power..

I assume we get in and step on brake, push the button, but all we have is instrument cluster lit up like Christmas tree with the normal "key on" warning lights,, no EV or READY light ??

Complete Fault Code Search of all onboard modules going to be needed..
though I suspect they will likely find codes related to Power Relay (done a bunch here already since Nov 2017) ----> scroll first couple pages here in Hybrid,, topic running already to where I have pics posted of YF Hybrid and LFA Hybrid systems..

Seen a few that flipped HSG belt off due to tensioner arm bushing wear too,, and a bunch of Electric Oil Pump (not related to start concern)

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonat...hybrid-limited-check-hybrid-system-issue.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonat...lf/637757-concerned-about-hybrid-battery.html

Show Full Signature
<--- Please fill in the 'location' and 'what you drive(year & chassis) and engine size' boxes on your personal profile page.
This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.

Bookmark

B
blackburn-hero
· Registered
Joined Jun 16, 2018
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter • #5 Jun 16, 2018
Thanks for all answers. I charged the 12V battery in the trunk. This have not helped to start the car. So, I want to charge hybrid battery, it possible?

thanks again!

Bookmark

[IMG alt="sbr711"]https://www.hyundai-forums.com/d1/avatars/m/186/186516.jpg?1562670833[/IMG]
sbr711
· Registered
Joined Apr 30, 2010
·
17,554 Posts
#6 Jun 16, 2018
blackburn-hero said:
Thanks for all answers. I charged the 12V battery in the trunk. This have not helped to start the car. So, I want to charge hybrid battery, it possible?

thanks again!
NO !!

Hybrid battery has nothing to do with EV - READY light..

You cannot charge Hybrid battery,, any attempt to tamper with 277V battery without proper training can cause very severe injury / death

You need to have dealer do complete scan.. I suspect Power Relay and Safety connector fault..

Total repair,, IF that is indeed the problem, will be around $1100,,, relay is rough 600, safe plug is $100 (might be more),, and figure 3 hr shop rate

Show Full Signature
<--- Please fill in the 'location' and 'what you drive(year & chassis) and engine size' boxes on your personal profile page.
This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.

Bookmark

[IMG alt="fb-tonya-tdr3435"]https://www.hyundai-forums.com/d1/avatars/m/1194/1194047.jpg?1570219493[/IMG]
fb-tonya-tdr3435
· Registered
Joined 40 mins ago
·
0 Posts
#7 a moment ago
•••
blackburn-hero said:
Hi,

Thanks.
MINE WAS CALLED: "BATTERY DISCHARGE WARNING"...ANOTHER WARNING CAME UP WHICH TOLD ME TO PULL-OVER & STOP MY CAR & CHECK MY BRAKES...WHILE ALL THIS WAS GOING ON, MY CAR WOULDN'T START, PLUS ANOTHER WARNING POPPED-UP STATING THAT MY SMART-KEY WASN'T DETECTABLE, BUT IT WAS IN THE CUP-HOLDER...I TRIED STARTING THE CAR FOR ABOUT 30-MINUTES, BUT I NOTICED THAT MY INTERIOR LIGHTS WERE DIMMING...THE RADIO WOULDN'T COME ON...THE POWER WINDOWS/DOORS BUTTONS BARELY WORKED...I CALLED ROADSIDE-ASSISTANCE & THEY CAME OUT & JUMPED THE BATTERY THAT'S IN THE TRUNK OF THE "HYBRID" & TOLD ME I HAD TO DRIVE IT/RUN IT FOR AN ENTIRE HOUR BEFORE SHUTTING IT OFF...I DID & IT'S ALL NORMAL NOW...I PANICKED INITIALLY THOUGH!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a very similar situation today with my 2016 Sonata hybrid. It's worked fine for years but today my wife and I drove to a doctor's office and parked. When we came back, the car would not start. Instead it displayed a message telling me to pull over (I was still parked) and check the brakes. Tried a few more times with the same result, then the car told me that it did not sense a fob/key. There were two in the car, mine and my wife's. Both batteries wouldn't have failed at the same time.

Then nothing worked in the car. The dealership couldn't help over the phone. They did suggest holding the key against the power button. (Is that where the key sensor is?) Had to have the car towed to the dealership on dollys, all four wheels being locked and unable to roll.

I'll be curious to see what the mechanics say.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had a very similar situation today with my 2016 Sonata hybrid. It's worked fine for years but today my wife and I drove to a doctor's office and parked. When we came back, the car would not start. Instead it displayed a message telling me to pull over (I was still parked) and check the brakes. Tried a few more times with the same result, then the car told me that it did not sense a fob/key. There were two in the car, mine and my wife's. Both batteries wouldn't have failed at the same time.

Then nothing worked in the car. The dealership couldn't help over the phone. They did suggest holding the key against the power button. (Is that where the key sensor is?) Had to have the car towed to the dealership on dollys, all four wheels being locked and unable to roll.

I'll be curious to see what the mechanics say.
Please let us know the result of your situation with the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please let us know the result of your situation with the dealer.
The dealer says they think the cause was that the 12-volt battery was bad. (?!) But they were waiting for my approval to replace it. That was a few hours ago, and I haven't heard back.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The dealer says they think the cause was that the 12-volt battery was bad. (?!) But they were waiting for my approval to replace it. That was a few hours ago, and I haven't heard back.
Yes, the 12V battery can cause weird gremlins like these perhaps. Should be simple to load test it. There are threads here where you can get a battery that isn't 2x the cost it should be at the dealer...

·
Registered
19 Posts
It turned out to be the 12V battery. The dealer installed a $250 replacement. That, plus $210 for diagnosis made the cost $460. !! Oh, but I forgot, the "walkaround inspection" was FREE!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts