Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all! My wife just got a 2017 Sport 4cyl FWD, we love it so far but we NEED a roof rack for our kayaks. I’ve done a little bit of Googling & some forum searching, and I’m sure I could just get a Thule and call it a day, but I’m hoping to get a few recommendations from people who’ve actually used theirs on a decent rack that does the job and doesn’t cost $400+!! I’m hoping to at least order it before Mother’s Day, so I’m looking forward to hearing what y’all have to say! Thanks and have a good day!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back in 2015, I bought the Rola 59779 rack from Amazon for $162 (It's almost $300 now). I've hauled my kayak and rooftop carrier on it with no problems. I don't keep it on there all the time. Not sure if you have roof rails as I do not. I'm sure there are better options available 3 years later. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm assuming like Finch, that you're talking about the cross bars, and not the actual kayak rack attachment?

I have the Brightlines BL653130cross-bars. They are low profile (much lower than the OEM bars). They look great, were comparatively inexepensive, and don't ding me much in terms of MPG when the kayaks or roof box aren't on top. $160 on Amazon.

The only drawback of these bars is the fact that they are pretty close to the roofline, so you have to be careful when installing/removing the kayak racks that you don't let the bolts scratch the roof. Sometimes, I just put a blanket down on top of the car when installing. I have a generic 2 kayak rack from a local walmart-esque store - works great.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/BRIGHTLINES-2013-2018-Hyundai-Santa-Cross/dp/B019DFXGT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1525869540&sr=1-1&keywords=BL653130&dpID=31APGrUcGEL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch[/ame]

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm assuming like Finch, that you're talking about the cross bars, and not the actual kayak rack attachment?

I have the Brightlines BL653130cross-bars. They are low profile (much lower than the OEM bars). They look great, were comparatively inexepensive, and don't ding me much in terms of MPG when the kayaks or roof box aren't on top. $160 on Amazon.

The only drawback of these bars is the fact that they are pretty close to the roofline, so you have to be careful when installing/removing the kayak racks that you don't let the bolts scratch the roof. Sometimes, I just put a blanket down on top of the car when installing. I have a generic 2 kayak rack from a local walmart-esque store - works great.
My 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Ultimate has the Hyundai cross bars...they are a bit higher than standard ones to address the use of the Panoramic sunroof height. Like them alot...and they add a small amount of added clearance for hauling things up there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts