Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone towed a boat near or above the maximum 2800lbs? Manual says 2800lbs with trailer brakes and tow package (which I have). The boat will be stored 1 mile from the lake, with the occasional 10 mile trip back to the house for a wax job. Boat and trailer weight is 2900lbs without fuel. I am pretty sure i can make the 1 mile trip easily, but will the SFS have enough gitty up on the ramp to tug the boat back out of the water?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
From their website

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The brochure for my 2017 Santa Fe Sport says thew following:

Whether you choose the standard 2.4L Gasoline
Direct Injection (GDI) engine or opt for the available
240 horsepower 2.0L twin-scroll turbo-charged
GDI engine, you’ll be ready to take on your day
in the redesigned Santa Fe Sport with power and
condence. The available active cornering control
All-Wheel Drive system and 3,500 lbs of towing
capacity
provide even greater capability.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's 2,000lbs with the 2.4

This is what my manual says for the 2017 2.4L. My window sticker also states "Trailer Prep Package"? I am not sure I ever saw one when shopping with "Trailer Package".

Dealers are clueless when calling about the VIN and "Trailer Package"

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is what my manual says for the 2017 2.4L. My window sticker also states "Trailer Prep Package"? I am not sure I ever saw one when shopping with "Trailer Package".

Dealers are clueless when calling about the VIN and "Towing Package"
I went by what the website said. I wouldn't go above 2800 if it were me.

On a side note, I go way above the limit for towing without trailer brakes and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If all I ever had to go was one mile I would go easy and see how it does. But as far as a 10 mile trip...no way.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts

Dealers are clueless when calling about the VIN and "Trailer Package"
All Santa Fe sports have this package...its just 2 plugs under the left rear to connect the trailer wiring kit.

Just think H needed to add more to the Moroney sticker so this became an option. Hopefully a no charge one.

Oh yes and I will echo the 2k limit on the 2.4 regardless of AWD OR FWD. I would even hesitate to go close to that since the trailer vibrations go right thru the hitch into the cabin...at least that was my experience towing my cycle on my utility trailer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well... I ended up adding a Derale 13503 transmission cooler and towed the boat home 30 miles from the dealership. I felt the inlet/outlet of the cooler after a few mile tow before hopping on the highway. The inlet was hotter than the outlet, so the cooler is definitely doing its job. The inlet side wasn't overly hot, as I could keep my fingers on it for a few seconds.

The dealer did not have any info on the current tongue weight, but I was able to lift the tongue fairly easily (I am no power lifter). I would guess it to be around 250lbs. and there was minimal sag when hooking up. I plan on taking it all to the weight station to see where everything is at.

Manual shifting is definitely required, as is sport mode. On the highway I was doing 65mph in 4th gear and 4k rpm. Mostly flat with the occasional gentle climb. The SFS did fine with no downshift required.

Braking was fine. I didn't try any panic braking, but stopping wasn't an issue with having trailer brakes and engine braking.

Launching the boat was no problem. I was concerned about pulling it back out of the water, but that was also not an issue. After selecting 1st gear, sport mode, AWD lock and hill assist, it pulled it out without strain or wheel slip. Pretty darn impressive!

Now the boat is stored 1 mile from launch ramp, but I would have no problem doing the long trip back to the dealer again. The SFS 2.4 is pretty peppy and handled it well.

I plan on doing a tranny fluid change and see if the color is any different from when I installed the cooler.

Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts