Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, group:

Moved up to a santa fe a few years back

So I had to replace one tire that was shredded. I got the Cooper adventurer HT from pep boys. The other 3 stock kumho tires are at 50k miles and surprisingly do have plenty of life left, they all easily pass the "head on penny not showing" test. So I don't really want to replace all 4 right now as ideal.
'
The owner manual states on AWD all 4 should be replaced or if not possible at least 2 on the same axle and by changing only one could seriously affect handling.

If I only replaced the 1 tire do you think it would damage the ABS or drivetrain systems. Is the tire worth shaving, or would deflating the other back tire a few pounds even out the diameters of the back tires to make it safe. Is there an issue with the different tread designs?

Any suggestions? Attached are the tires.

Thank you group!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
It's the diameter difference between now and old that may trigger an ABS fault code. It won't damage the ABS. Saying that even though it's not illegal in most countries it makes sense to have tyres that are the same on the same axle. Those tyres look like new.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thanks the old tire held up well didn't it. They are both 235 60R 18. So if there is no code being triggered, will it not mess up the drivetrain or transmission either. Would any of you feel comfortable leaving these 2 tires on as is?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
As long as the car steers and brakes (hard stop as well) normally without doing something silly like sliding sideways leave them on.

·
Registered
852 Posts
It will by fine as is. One item the owner's manual is referring to is if the tire construction is vastly different between the two, and that could affect handling.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Tread and compound make a big difference. On the tyre you will find info like treadwear, traction and one other that I can't think of but just make sure their the same. Construction should never be mixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts