Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to keep the factory head unit in my car.

I was going to tap off the speaker wires , go into the glove box for the amp ( if possible) and then back into the factory harness so I do not have to run wires all over the place. ( I am too old for that crap now )

Questions are:

1) Can I install a 5 channel amplifier in the glove box or will it be too constrictive? I do not use the glove box anyways.

2) Does the 2017 head unit supply full range to the speakers or are they "cut off" at lower freqs? If so, tapping off them will not give me a full range to the amp anyways, correct?

3) USB vs other sources volume levels are not right. Is this a known issue? I record (make) all my mp3s at 320kbps and 90db normalization so one is not louder than other. If I listen to the USB, I have to go louder than 24+ to get good volume. At 24 on FM and XM, my ears are bleeding. Even BT isnt as bad.

4) final question. Going from head unit to speaker level input dsp device then to an amp would that still have the "cut off" issues that I heard about?

Thank you

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do we know what the frequency response is for the factory sub?

Wondering if I want to go thru modifying the deck for another sub in stock location. Want to keep as stealth as possible due to location I am living in

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you use the glove box for this, just make sure you don't block access to the cabin air filter. I have also found the discrepancy in volume between different sources to be troublesome. I would also be interested in hearing if there is a solution to this issue.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I want to keep the factory head unit in my car.

I was going to tap off the speaker wires , go into the glove box for the amp ( if possible) and then back into the factory harness so I do not have to run wires all over the place. ( I am too old for that crap now )

Questions are:

1) Can I install a 5 channel amplifier in the glove box or will it be too constrictive? I do not use the glove box anyways.

2) Does the 2017 head unit supply full range to the speakers or are they "cut off" at lower freqs? If so, tapping off them will not give me a full range to the amp anyways, correct?

3) USB vs other sources volume levels are not right. Is this a known issue? I record (make) all my mp3s at 320kbps and 90db normalization so one is not louder than other. If I listen to the USB, I have to go louder than 24+ to get good volume. At 24 on FM and XM, my ears are bleeding. Even BT isnt as bad.

4) final question. Going from head unit to speaker level input dsp device then to an amp would that still have the "cut off" issues that I heard about?

Thank you
Do we know what the frequency response is for the factory sub?

Wondering if I want to go thru modifying the deck for another sub in stock location. Want to keep as stealth as possible due to location I am living in
Please check out other threads that answer lots of these questions. Especially the thread called "my audio adventure" but also others in the 2011-2016 models too.

Do you have the Infinity system currently? If so, you have lots of issues. Speakers are 2 ohm, not 4 ohm. No big deal for the HU if you leave it but remember that for your amp. Also you would have an existing amp located in the trunk. This amp cannot be bypassed as it integrates with some of the other audio functions like door chimes and warnings. This complicates the wire splices etc. You do not connect behind the HU you connect in the trunk. There is a guy that did exactly what you want to do with lots of details and pics. If you have trouble finding the thread let me know and I will try to find it for you.

If you do not currently have the Infinity system, I would recommend the Alpine power pack 4 channel and a Kenwood under seat self powered sub. That is what I did in my VE. Very pleased. Don't go above 10 volume now.

No one can verify the freq output from the HU but others have experienced bass roll off at higher volumes. You will need a powered LOC to help that. I used the LC2i.

I cannot answer the USB question. We only use FM, XM and BT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice. Will look for that article. I looked at the AudioControl LC7i and a 5 channel amp so far. I do not have Infinity system in my car.

Was thinking about going from the HU to LC7i to amp then back to factory harness and only have to run wire from amp to woofer.

More as I try and get my head around all this.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thank you for the advice. Will look for that article. I looked at the AudioControl LC7i and a 5 channel amp so far. I do not have Infinity system in my car.

Was thinking about going from the HU to LC7i to amp then back to factory harness and only have to run wire from amp to woofer.

More as I try and get my head around all this.
Here is a link to the LC7i manual. You are correct on the wiring, there is a diagram in the link

https://www.audiocontrol.com/downloads/car/current/lc7i/lc7i-user-manual.pdf

I will tell you this, unless you already have an amp or considering an amp that only has RCA inputs, you really only need the LC2i to combat the bass roll off. The only thing the LC7i does above the LC2i is convert speaker wire to RCA's for the front and rear speaker outputs. I did research and it is a toss up whether speaker level input or RCA input is better. And most amps I saw will take both as input.

If you have the base system that will make it easier for you. Some people have added a sub to the factory location, the hole is there, but have not been happy with the results. You have a small sub trying to move all of the trunk air. I know you want stealth but for better sound I would recommend under seat sub or a 12 inch boxed sub in the trunk. Either one would not be able to be seen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed Infinity REF-6532ex in back. Love it. Now, I can actually hear the back speakers.

Awaiting the Ref-6530cx to come in later next week THEN waiting for a cooler day...... LOL right

After I save up more money ( probably fall time ) Getting my amp and LC7i.

Mounting the remote for the bass control on the dash next to the traction control button.

Again ty to all who put up with my inane questioning.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Installed Infinity REF-6532ex in back. Love it. Now, I can actually hear the back speakers.

Awaiting the Ref-6530cx to come in later next week THEN waiting for a cooler day...... LOL right

After I save up more money ( probably fall time ) Getting my amp and LC7i.

Mounting the remote for the bass control on the dash next to the traction control button.

Again ty to all who put up with my inane questioning.
Which sub are you getting?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since my Limited does not have a Infinity sub.

When I make my subwoofer, better to point towards the back seat, up towards the deck, or towards the back lights?

This will decide on how I design the sub box.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the door speakers all set. WHAT a difference.

Bass not as boomy. Tweeters were a pain in the @ss to install. Ended up using double sided tape as a gasket around the speaker and the factory adapter.

Listening to BT source with windows open I was having to get above 25 for it to be loud. Now under 18

Contemplating an idea or two.

A) installing a sub only and using head unit for speakers

B ) trying to find out since the head unit is android, if there is a way to sideload an app ( Viper4Android) so I do not have to have on phone and it might be able to improve sound quality on FM/Siruis

·
Registered
390 Posts
Got the door speakers all set. WHAT a difference.

Bass not as boomy. Tweeters were a pain in the @ss to install. Ended up using double sided tape as a gasket around the speaker and the factory adapter.

Listening to BT source with windows open I was having to get above 25 for it to be loud. Now under 18

Contemplating an idea or two.

A) installing a sub only and using head unit for speakers

B ) trying to find out since the head unit is android, if there is a way to sideload an app ( Viper4Android) so I do not have to have on phone and it might be able to improve sound quality on FM/Siruis

A ) I would highly recommend a power pack amp along with the sub. Using the HU is fine but not much power. The Alpine unit is $122 on amazon now and it runs off the HU power so no running wire to battery. My techs that did my install said it made a big difference in my install. I was on the fence like you after only upgrading my door speakers, but decided on power pak amp too since not that much more money and it did not cost me anymore to install it. I rarely go above 10 on HU now and plenty loud, normally around 4-6. You are using the LC7i correct? If not you need a powered LOC to combat bass roll off.

B ) I would recommend against that. There are several threads about people trying to root the HU for various reasons. Most people recommend against it as there is a high probability that you will brick your HU. Not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A ) I would highly recommend a power pack amp along with the sub. Using the HU is fine but not much power. The Alpine unit is $122 on amazon now and it runs off the HU power so no running wire to battery. My techs that did my install said it made a big difference in my install. I was on the fence like you after only upgrading my door speakers, but decided on power pak amp too since not that much more money and it did not cost me anymore to install it. I rarely go above 10 on HU now and plenty loud, normally around 4-6. You are using the LC7i correct? If not you need a powered LOC to combat bass roll off.

B ) I would recommend against that. There are several threads about people trying to root the HU for various reasons. Most people recommend against it as there is a high probability that you will brick your HU. Not worth the hassle.

Think I will pass on that then. No used bricking my HU.

Where did you end up mounting your Alpine?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I honestly do not know. I know they are pretty small and designed to mount under the dash or behind the radio or glove box. I have also seen them mounted under a seat with other equipment. Under my driver seat I can see the kenwood sub and the lc2i. I assume the techs mounted it behind the radio or under dash. I have not looked for it very hard. You can google videos or pics. Also remember to set your HPF's and LPF's correctly with the dip switches before mounting. There are also some other dip switch settings but they are pretty self explanatory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts