Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have a 2017 Hyundai i40 bought from new. The LCD display screen became pixelated over Christmas, with coloured vertical lines running through it. We can't see anything on the screen (map, reverse camera, heat controls, audio controls etc.)

However, when we drive the car for 20 minutes or so, and take out the SD card and put it back in, the system seems to reboot for a few seconds and the display screen comes back to life. This will work for as long as the car is still warm, but we are back to square one if the car is off for a few hours. I tried the reset button but it made no difference.

I phoned our Hyundai dealer in early Jan and explained; was told it would be covered under warranty and got an appointment for last week. However, after they looked at it, they said warranty on audio system is only 3 years (we are 6 months over it) and the system would need to be replaced, costing thousands of euro. Needless to say, that's not a runner.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be the SD card?

Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Lans (Ireland)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I`d try another dealer. Most of the technicians havent a clue with these things. I had a similar problem with my 2017 i40. The sd card was broken inside and refused to update. Sounds like yours is a problem with the sd card or system. The audio argument is utter nonsense. In my case,Hyundai agreed to replace the whole head unit (the audio is just a small part of it) under the 5 year warranty. Took about 10 days to come from Germany and about an hour to fit. If you can`t get anywhere with the dealer ring Hyundai customer services. They can be very helpful.Good luck but don`t let them fob you off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I`d try another dealer. Most of the technicians havent a clue with these things. I had a similar problem with my 2017 i40. The sd card was broken inside and refused to update. Sounds like yours is a problem with the sd card or system. The audio argument is utter nonsense. In my case,Hyundai agreed to replace the whole head unit (the audio is just a small part of it) under the 5 year warranty. Took about 10 days to come from Germany and about an hour to fit. If you can`t get anywhere with the dealer ring Hyundai customer services. They can be very helpful.Good luck but don`t let them fob you off.
[/QUOT
Thanks very much for that, I will bring it to another dealer & see what they say ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Keep us posted please..By the way I had, only the second, warranty claim when the plastic screen covering the instrument panel cracked. The dealer I bought it from said all plastics are only covered for 6 months. I took it to another dealer who hadnt a clue but forwarded it to Hyundai who replaced it straight away..Hyundai dealers arn`t the best I`m afraid

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep us posted please..By the way I had, only the second, warranty claim when the plastic screen covering the instrument panel cracked. The dealer I bought it from said all plastics are only covered for 6 months. I took it to another dealer who hadnt a clue but forwarded it to Hyundai who replaced it straight away..Hyundai dealers arn`t the best I`m afraid
So I went to another Hyundai dealer who had never seen anything like it before. They suggested updating the software so they took my media card & updated it and inserted the dealer card into my console to update it also. After about 20 mins, all updates complete and the screen working perfectly well again.
It was a mystery to them but all

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I went to another Hyundai dealer who had never seen anything like it before. They suggested updating the software so they took my media card & updated it and inserted the dealer card into my console to update it also. After about 20 mins, all updates complete and the screen working perfectly well again.
It was a mystery to them but all worked out in the end.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It was a mystery to them but all worked out in the end.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Thanks for the update...Delighted for you that you got it sorted, as it should have been, without cost to you..All the best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.