Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a pre-owned 2017 Hyundai Sonata Sport (4300 miles). When I'm driving it in Eco mode- at 1200/1300 rpm (typically 33 -
35 mph)the engine seems to vibrate and as I accelerate, the vibration stops. The road conditions are typically flat and outside temperature varies from 30F - 60F. Same vibration issues in hilly regions as well.
When I switched to Normal/Sport mode, i do not see it happening as much as it was in ECO mode but it still persists. Also, when i accelerate the car in ECO mode on a highway, the engine still vibrates for less than a second at 1200/1300 rpm before it shifts to higher rpm/speed. Anyone having the same problem? Or, is this normal? Thanks!
Engine vibrating- imagine a cell phone vibration amplified enough to shake your car interiors to give that buzzing sound in case you have a steel water bottle in the center bottle holder area.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Maybe check out the tranny and engine mounts? I had this issue with my first ever car and it turned out to be an engine mount's bushing. It had cracked and allowed the engine to vibrate at idle. Not as bad as you describe tho. In my case it felt more like someone was rocking the car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I noticed that too and it only happens on low RPMs. I don't think you will be able to do anything with this. (2.4 with 17k miles on it)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had same issue with my 2013 Azera. Shades would always rattle when down.... Only issue that I have with my 2018 is harsh downshift from 3rd do 2nd gear and rattle on passenger door right where the window switch is at. Rattles all the time if I play music with bass. I punch it and it goes away for few minutes but then comes back. I will address that on next oil change. If they won't fix it, I will take door apart myself and fix it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 2017 Sonata SE and my observation is that to get the best gas mileage the engine RPM is kept low in gear 6 at 35 MPH causing the engine to "lug." The vibration is noticeable because it is a 4 cylinder as opposed to a 6 or 8 cylinder. Manually shifting to a lower gear such as 6 ==> 5 solves this problem by increasing the RPM as does keeping the mode in"Sport" at the beginning. When I bought the car, the owners manual break-in proceedure recommended not to lug the engine and keep the RPM at 2000 to 2500 which was hard to do unless kept in Sport Mode or shifted manually to a lower gear.

Frank 2017 Sonata SE with 12K miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what i thought- that we either go in high RPM or use a different mode. It is surprising to see Hyundai having these problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission Vibration at 1200 rpms

I have a brand new 2018 Sonata SEL 2.4L FWD and I'm having the same vibration at 1200 rpm at all speeds. Took to dealer and they had me drive another brand new 2018 Sonata that did the same thing- but even worse. The whole car vibrates like the transmission needs to downshift around 1200 to 1400 rpm. The only thing that fixes the vibration is to downshift manually or to put the car into the Sport mode. They told me that I have to live with it at the dealer. I asked about trading to a Tucson and they said it is worse than the Sonata.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Turn of the ECO mode and keep it off.

ECO, lug your engine mode, will have its issues. RPM is simply too low for load, and gear is too high, and AT is too slow to downshift. Either step on it, kill eco, or manual downshift to a lower gear.

Even though I want MPG, my '11 Sonata eco button is turned off ... permanently.

Troubleshoot more with different gas stations and octanes when filling up. Run it empty and refill somewhere else, or with higher octane, or both. Enjoy the lifetime of problems you'll have with your Hyundai. That vibration isn't an issue, its a feature.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have noticed the vibration as well. I only turn on eco mode when I'm at speed for a long distance. I think normal mode also has vibrations, but it may be more of the shifting points for in town driving. Around 35 & 45 seem to be shifting points, but these also seem to be where the speed limit is as well in town so the car just can't make up it's mind which gear to settle with. In sport mode, I rarely, if at all, notice the vibration. I think sport mode keeps a slightly higher RPM around 2000 while cruising & I find going up steep hills is smoother..the higher RPM kinda pulls the car without much effort. I've never done any testing to see if there is a noticeable MPG difference between modes. If there is a difference, I'm sure it's less than 1 mpg on a tank. Maybe I'll try sport mode all next week. I drive almost 500 miles every other week since I car pool and next week is my week to drive. I do keep track of my MPG, so I should have a pretty good idea where it stands.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I drove to work and back today in sport mode (about 100 miles of 45-55 mph). I usually average 34 mpg, today I only had 31.5. Big difference. I'll keep my car in normal mode.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
Turn of the ECO mode and keep it off.

ECO, lug your engine mode, will have its issues. RPM is simply too low for load, and gear is too high, and AT is too slow to downshift. Either step on it, kill eco, or manual downshift to a lower gear.

Even though I want MPG, my '11 Sonata eco button is turned off ... permanently.

Troubleshoot more with different gas stations and octanes when filling up. Run it empty and refill somewhere else, or with higher octane, or both. Enjoy the lifetime of problems you'll have with your Hyundai. That vibration isn't an issue, its a feature.
+1, same results. ECO unless you are on a trip, open road with a light foot it will lug the engine around town or stop and go. Most 4cyl will have vibrations at low rpm under load and in ECO the programming of the transmission is too slow to make downshifts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same type of issue. I just got a 2015 sonata se and at 1250 rpm the engine has like a low tone rumble that kinda vibrates the car. Is this really normal with these cars?

·
Registered
9 Posts
2017 Sonata GL. Same problem. Hyundai mechanics did not want to talk to me about that. They said - nothing is wrong with your Sonata. What a shame!

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's what i thought- that we either go in high RPM or use a different mode. It is surprising to see Hyundai having these problems.
This isnt a hyundai issue, if anything I would call it a hyper miler issue. Engines are going to lug under attempts to accelerate when locked into a gear too high for the amount of torque available. Its no different than if your in a 5 speed manual going up a mountain and the power band drops to low to continue climbing. You either drop it a gear or lug the engine. I know hyper milers who do this sort of thing. They want the option, they have the option. For the rest of us there is a different mode to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This isnt a hyundai issue, if anything I would call it a hyper miler issue. Engines are going to lug under attempts to accelerate when locked into a gear too high for the amount of torque available. Its no different than if your in a 5 speed manual going up a mountain and the power band drops to low to continue climbing. You either drop it a gear or lug the engine. I know hyper milers who do this sort of thing. They want the option, they have the option. For the rest of us there is a different mode to use.
No,you don't understand. Sonatas vibrate always when rpm is below 1500. Doesn't matter if we drive uphill or downhill, on highway or on city streets.

·
Registered
481 Posts
No,you don't understand. Sonatas vibrate always when rpm is below 1500. Doesn't matter if we drive uphill or downhill, on highway or on city streets.
But is it related to being in ECO mode or even smart mode? I dont experience any vibration at all but I only ever use comfort or sport modes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sonatas 2015-2017 with 2.4 GDi engine have 3 drive modes: ECO, Normal and SPORT. If you have SMART and COMFORT modes you drive some different Sonata model. And that is why you don't experience vibrations.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
For 2018/2019 the Normal mode was renamed to Comfort. In addition, the 2.0T has Smart mode which dynamically changes between Eco, Comfort, and Sport based on your driving style. In my experience it mostly alternates between Eco and Comfort. However, I haven't really noticed a vibration issue regardless of driving mode.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts