Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Sonata Hybrid is at the dealership since May 2021 await an engine replacement. They are telling me the parts have not arrived. How long does this usually take?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2017 Sonata Hybrid is at the dealership since May 2021 await an engine replacement. They are telling me the parts have not arrived. How long does this usually take?
Whatever the normal time limit is to ship from South Korea - 6 to 8 weeks. If there were no pandemic. But there is, and it has slowed everything from getting parts, manufacturing parts, shipping, receiving, and trucking. So there is a hold up in the supply chain, and as you probably have heard it just isn't affecting cars. The good news! Your car is holding its value.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yesterday I went to my local dealer for recall and asked service writer about Theta 2 recall. He told me there are still backlogs til next month. So yeah the delay is still going on. Does Hyundai cover the rental fee for you?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I got a letter from Hyundai telling me that due to the connecting rod issue, the warranty has been extended to 15/150K. Haven't been to the dealer for them to check test which evidently there is "no rush" to complete.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I did not qualify for by back through BBB because my warranty had expired.
I guess technically you gto the full use out of the vehicle according to the manufacturer... If any issue were documented before warranty was up then you should have been good to pursue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess technically you gto the full use out of the vehicle according to the manufacturer... If any issue were documented before warranty was up then you should have been good to pursue.
my 16 Sonata is at the dealer for the engine problem - went in mid Sept. Diagnosed as bad conn rod bearing, engine being replace under warranty (98,500 miles).
Dealer called me Tuesday and said all parts are in and should be done by Oct 15th. Did not provide a loaner saying they were all out already. Had the inspection done in May which passed ok then.
Good Luck with your problem - if you have less than 100k lean on them for warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my 2017 Sonata Hybrid Limited from a Toyota dealership used. Since my engine is under recall would I have my warranty reinstated or would I be SOL? I love my car but engine failure is a pretty big red flag especially when not under warranty. It only has 64k miles on it. Anyone ever experience my problem before?

·
Registered
545 Posts
The warranty has been extended from 10/100 to 15/150 for the motor. So anyone on that recall list who had an engine failure after 10/100K should go back to Hyundai for some resolution or help...

·
Registered
545 Posts
I bought my 2017 Sonata Hybrid Limited from a Toyota dealership used. Since my engine is under recall would I have my warranty reinstated or would I be SOL? I love my car but engine failure is a pretty big red flag especially when not under warranty. It only has 64k miles on it. Anyone ever experience my problem before?
You should have a 10/100 powertrain waranty still. Which has been extended to 15/150.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: called my Hyundai dealership and they notified me that there are currently 3 recalls on my vehicle, they don't have a resolution for any of them from the manufacturer at this time and to keep checking back in every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This new warranty extension applies to new and subsequent owners now.
The original, new warranty stopped at 5y/60k for subsequent owners. However, the powertrain warranty isn't transferable.

Do you have any official information on the warranty extension? It is not on the recall notice / information.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The original, new warranty stopped at 5y/60k for subsequent owners. However, the powertrain warranty isn't transferable.

Do you have any official information on the warranty extension? It is not on the recall notice / information.
Hyundai will send a letter tells you the extended warranty. Looks similar to those recall letters but it is not a recall.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have the letter for the recall telling me to bring it in for the rod bearing "test procedure" and software "knock sensor" update a while back. I figured to put this off as long as possible since it seems questionable to me and the reports are that they can't really do anything about it anyway in a timely manner to replace the motor. That was a couple months back. Last week, I got the letter that says the warranty was extended to 15/150. Hopefully before 15/150, Hyundai will have the resolution straightened out and be able to complete any replacement in a timely manner, if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I decided not to deal with the problem and leave it in Hyundai's hands. 2018 Sonata Hybrids are very scarce, but I found one with very low miles at a dealership in Chicago who is willing to give me what I paid for my car on trade-in. So, next weekend I'm driving from Seattle to Chicago to pick it up. Crisis averted. Hope it doesn't blow up on the way!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts