Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows where I might find the block heater located if there was one installed on my car. Just trying to find out if I need to get one or if there is one already installed. Took a general look into the engine bay and was not able to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Block heaters died in Northern Wisconsin with the advent of fuel injectors, they have a lot more intelligence than humans with choke operated carburetors.

The ones that really require a block heater are diesels. Never heard of any vehicle coming stock with a block heater, strictly aftermarket. New neighbor came from New Orleans with a super long Ford diesel pickup, he paid an electrician to mount a pole next to his driveway with an outlet on it. Pickup was too long for his garage, but did that thing run up his electric bill, 1.5 KW heater.

Most have a check valve and if mounted backwards, blocks coolant flow, will end up with a crack head. Just asking, do you really need one? My kids that went to school in Milwaukee or Madison had to park their cars on the street, sometimes two blocks away, don't have extension cords that long. Or if they did, won't be there the next morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Canada it is pretty standard for cars to have block heaters installed for we have pretty harsh winters here. But I was just curious if this car did, since my 2012 Gen coupe came with a block heater from the dealer. I am guessing my Elantra doesnt since the plug is nowhere to be found... Probably just contact the dealer and ask them.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Some of the newer Hyundais use a slide in cartridge type heater located in the block on the engine. Here is a KIA DIY article. And one for the Gen Coupe 2L.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts