Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited with the Ultimate Tech Package which includes Forward Collision Warning, Autonomous Braking, Blind Spot Warning and Rear Cross Traffic Warning. Everything works great, Except the Forward Collision Warning and the Emergency Braking. The FCW is set to Early via the options in the instrument cluster along with the Check Mark for Autonomous Braking. So, before anyone asks, yes the options are in the "on" position lol.

I've taken it to 2 dealerships and they say nothing is wrong with it. Even when they test drive it with me in the car and it doesn't provide ANY warning at all, they claim "not all situations are appropriate for the system to activate". I don't know about you, but I consider running right up less than 1/2 a car length from rear ending the car in front of us, I believe we should have received some sort of warning. I have made many tests on my own even with a brave friend acting as a Pedestrian to see if the Autonomous Braking for a Pedestrian warning detection would work, again the vehicle Failed to do anything.

If Anyone is experiencing these problems with the Forward Collision Warning, Autonomous Braking and Pedestrian Detection, Please let me know. I'm trying to find other who are experiencing the same problems so I can notify my dealership and hopefully they'll take notice.
Thanks all

·
Registered
952 Posts
Someone else posted the exact same problems/test done with same results. Even dealer stated there is not printed guidelines for test said systems as all situations are different. I believe the other person pull one of the ABS fuses or other fuse and that was able to reset the system. After doing so he notices it was working more around where he thought it should activate maybe a little sooner.

Hopefully, someone who remembers exact what was posted the person who posted it will chime in.

Here is the original post... You might want to read through the few pages of posts.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/2017-elantra/508233-ultimate-package-fcw-aeb-features.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have noticed that it seems to only engage when my cruise control is on. Pulling the fuse may "reboot" the system or enable it but why wouldn't they have a standardized test for this?

·
22,785 Posts
I have noticed that it seems to only engage when my cruise control is on. Pulling the fuse may "reboot" the system or enable it but why wouldn't they have a standardized test for this?
In my instance, it was a 4-lane with residential/light commercial access. Speed limit: 40. I never use cruise on streets like this where I'm only traveling 1/2 mile at the extreme and turning off the street.

I'm lazy to some point, but not that much. ;)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Before 1996, disconnecting the battery meant losing all the data stored for the so-called learn mode because it was stored in volatile RAM, even all of your preset radio stations was lost, this all changed with non-volatile RAM like used in an SC card in your digital camera. Was also a quick way to erase all trouble codes, but this doesn't work anymore. When the vehicle was first started after disconnecting the battery, would cough and sneeze for about 15 miles until the computer relearned

In a vehicle like my 88 Supra, had full specifications for all the sensors, calibrated them to the center of the range so their was nothing to relearn. In another like my 92 DeVille was a 20 minute procedure to reset the engine idle control, engine would race all over the place. Would hate to pay some kid 80 bucks an hour to do this.

Disconnected the battery yesterday to clean and grease the battery terminal, this was quick an easy, the hard part was checking everything afterwards to see what changed. Only thing that did change was some of the parameters in the user control settings. But disconnecting the battery no longer resets any stored trouble codes, but millions of guys are suggesting this, that stays in non-volatile ram. Engine started and ran perfectly, no problems here.

Find that Kia commercial stating that the average attention span for drivers is only 8 seconds, if that poor, no business driving a vehicle. Driving at 75 mph, in just one second traveling 110 feet, can be the difference between life and death. More intelligent articles on this subject, cars are made so quiet today give a false sense of security. More proof of this is looking up the statistics, over the last 20 years, with all this safety equipment, highway deaths are still about the same, but injuries have doubled. Can contributed this to some safety equipment. And these new vehicles are sure loaded with a lot more distractions.

Was not fun getting hit by that 18 year kid that pulled out right in front of me only giving me 0.1 seconds to react, think about this whenever I get behind the wheel and this was 21 years ago. Wife is the same way now after getting rear ended.

·
Registered
174 Posts
In another thread (I think Tips & Trips and near what is now the end) 2 people relating stories of it working when it was needed. I don't have it mine but when I test drove a Toyota, I asked about how to test to know it is working. The saleslady said she hated that question because it is nearly impossible to do; you pretty much have to commit to hitting something to make it stop you from doing it. Even the warning beep is more of a warning that it is going to engage; it is unlikely you can respond fast enough with your foot.

·
22,785 Posts
@NicholasD: Find that Kia commercial stating that the average attention span for drivers is only 8 seconds, if that poor, no business driving a vehicle.[/QUOTE]Not trying to go too far off topic, Nick, but maybe this is because the average male thinks about sex every 7.3 seconds? I was told it was "somewhere" in that neighborhood. This timeframe doesn't apply to female drivers, however. :grin:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Even if you are very attentive while driving, you still have to cycle through things, glancing at mirrors, display (especially if not using CC) and the road ahead. Someone weaving or tailgating behind you or an indicator coming on can cause a little delay in focusing your attention forward.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Even if you are very attentive while driving, you still have to cycle through things, glancing at mirrors, display (especially if not using CC) and the road ahead. Someone weaving or tailgating behind you or an indicator coming on can cause a little delay in focusing your attention forward.
So true. It's certainly clear at this point...at least you're fully preparing your daughters for the world. It sucks when parenting is left on relying on the world to teach through living circumstances moreover a good upbringing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for my late reply. I have a new 2018 Santa Fe Ltd Ult AWD and I'm experiencing the same thing. No warnings or braking from Autonomous Braking with a vehicle in front of me. And I have the same settings as you on the center multi-function display. Unfortunately, the dealer won't or can't test it and says it "should" work as designed. In other words, they're response is similar to the attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Sorry for my late reply. I have a new 2018 Santa Fe Ltd Ult AWD and I'm experiencing the same thing. No warnings or braking from Autonomous Braking with a vehicle in front of me. And I have the same settings as you on the center multi-function display. Unfortunately, the dealer won't or can't test it and says it "should" work as designed. In other words, they're response is similar to the attached pic.
>cracks up< dude, who uses AOL nowadays (rhetorical question). There are ways to test it. I would wonder what that dealership is capable of when turning over your car for maintenance if all they’re going to do is shrug things off.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It's funny because people have been driving since the late 1800's without all of this stuff and mostly without issue.. when you are looking forward at the road in front of you why do you need to be alerted if something is in front of you?

Here's an idea... stop being a distracted driver, stop being irresponsible.

"I don't know about you, but I consider running right up less than 1/2 a car length from rear ending the car in front of us, I believe we should have received some sort of warning"

I don't know about you, but I consider running right up less than 1/2 a car length from rear ending the car in front of us, I believe you are absolutely irresponsible and should not be driving in the first place and no warning is necessary because you shouldn't be looking down at your phone writing a text message.

So obviously you're tailgating someone in front of you if you don't have enough space to glance at your rear view mirror, you know just a move of your eyeball, and then look straight again without possibly rear ending someone. Here's another idea............. drive with more space in front of you. Guess what.. none of these systems are going to protect you from hitting someone when you're driving like an a-hole.

Please don't say now that someone can cut in front of you too close and that's what you're worried about-------- with more space in front of you, still, they have plenty of room to get in front of you and drive. How many times has someone cut you off and slammed on the brakes so that you rear end them? Hmmmm.. never, I'm sure.

It literally says on every tv commercial and website that these systems are not meant to replace safe driving, and can't take the place for a distracted driver, they don't give you the right or ability to screw around while driving.. if they work it would be in an extreme situation when YOU really screw the pooch. Every situation that one of these systems might kick in is a situation when YOU should have been watching what was going on.

All these systems just create worse drivers......

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's funny because people have been driving since the late 1800's without all of this stuff and mostly without issue.. when you are looking forward at the road in front of you why do you need to be alerted if something is in front of you?

Here's an idea... stop being a distracted driver, stop being irresponsible.

"I don't know about you, but I consider running right up less than 1/2 a car length from rear ending the car in front of us, I believe we should have received some sort of warning"

I don't know about you, but I consider running right up less than 1/2 a car length from rear ending the car in front of us, I believe you are absolutely irresponsible and should not be driving in the first place and no warning is necessary because you shouldn't be looking down at your phone writing a text message.

So obviously you're tailgating someone in front of you if you don't have enough space to glance at your rear view mirror, you know just a move of your eyeball, and then look straight again without possibly rear ending someone. Here's another idea............. drive with more space in front of you. Guess what.. none of these systems are going to protect you from hitting someone when you're driving like an a-hole.

Please don't say now that someone can cut in front of you too close and that's what you're worried about-------- with more space in front of you, still, they have plenty of room to get in front of you and drive. How many times has someone cut you off and slammed on the brakes so that you rear end them? Hmmmm.. never, I'm sure.

It literally says on every tv commercial and website that these systems are not meant to replace safe driving, and can't take the place for a distracted driver, they don't give you the right or ability to screw around while driving.. if they work it would be in an extreme situation when YOU really screw the pooch. Every situation that one of these systems might kick in is a situation when YOU should have been watching what was going on.

All these systems just create worse drivers......

While I agree with most of what you said, there was probably a not so dickish way to say it. Regardless, these functions are paid-for options built into the car, and it's understandable that he should want to know that they are working. But as the dealership stated (I myself work at a Hyundai/Mazda dealership) they're very difficult to show that they are working in a safe manner. Much like airbags, you are sort of left to trust that they will work when the time comes they are needed. As stated, much of these "safety" options are creating if not outright promoting unsafe driving habits.

That said, a customer came in wanting to test his SCBS (auto-braking). Different auto brakings in the Mazdas work at different speeds using different sensors. Mazda told us to use a large piece of flat cardboard. Keep in mind with all these safety options, different parts of the vehicle are needed to be kept clean much more meticulously than before. Camera's behind the rearview mirror facing out the windshield, radar in the front bumper and corners of the rear bumper. All these systems can be rendered inop or ineffective if the bumpers or windshield are dirty.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
While I agree with most of what you said, there was probably a not so dickish way to say it. Regardless, these functions are paid-for options built into the car, and it's understandable that he should want to know that they are working. But as the dealership stated (I myself work at a Hyundai/Mazda dealership) they're very difficult to show that they are working in a safe manner. Much like airbags, you are sort of left to trust that they will work when the time comes they are needed. As stated, much of these "safety" options are creating if not outright promoting unsafe driving habits.

That said, a customer came in wanting to test his SCBS (auto-braking). Different auto brakings in the Mazdas work at different speeds using different sensors. Mazda told us to use a large piece of flat cardboard. Keep in mind with all these safety options, different parts of the vehicle are needed to be kept clean much more meticulously than before. Camera's behind the rearview mirror facing out the windshield, radar in the front bumper and corners of the rear bumper. All these systems can be rendered inop or ineffective if the bumpers or windshield are dirty.
Drunk that rear ended my wife or texter that rear ended my daughter-in-law with my precious grandson sure needed automatic braking. Both were legally stopped with no way to get out of the way.

Nice to have somebody on the board that actually knows the Hyundai, ha, as far as keeping all that stuff clean, sounds like you read the shop manual.

Could also question the liability of these new toys, what happens if they don't work when they are suppose to resulting in a serious "accident". Sure don't depend on my side alert, look first before changing lanes. Auto braking and smart cruise control was way too much for me.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This discussion raises an interesting question that has puzzled me for a couple of years: How much distance do smart cruise control systems leave in front of them? I attended a driver improvement class with my son (he was stopped for speeding, and since he was under 18 he had to bring a parent along to the class). In that class, the instructor said you should have 4 seconds' following distance when going 40 mph or faster. 3 seconds is probably reasonable for most people, and I think most people think the rule of thumb is 2 seconds. But since the system is automatically decelerating, braking, and accellerating to manage the distance, I often wonder if that person behind me who seems to be traveling just a tiny bit too close, is using a smart cruise system.

Usually when it's the idiot whose headlights I cannot see because it is too close, I'm pretty sure it's not a smart cruise system. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
This discussion raises an interesting question that has puzzled me for a couple of years: How much distance do smart cruise control systems leave in front of them? I attended a driver improvement class with my son (he was stopped for speeding, and since he was under 18 he had to bring a parent along to the class). In that class, the instructor said you should have 4 seconds' following distance when going 40 mph or faster. 3 seconds is probably reasonable for most people, and I think most people think the rule of thumb is 2 seconds. But since the system is automatically decelerating, braking, and accellerating to manage the distance, I often wonder if that person behind me who seems to be traveling just a tiny bit too close, is using a smart cruise system.

Usually when it's the idiot whose headlights I cannot see because it is too close, I'm pretty sure it's not a smart cruise system. Any thoughts?
Use to be one car length for each 10 mph, if its seconds now, better read the DMV manual or won't pass my next driver's test.

Or just say I don't need this, have smart cruise control, LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A couple of thoughts...

Like stated above, this system is like airbags, there is no way of knowing that it will work until it does. You need to trust that Hyundai has designed, engineered, and manufactured a quality vehicle.

You can not really test this system on your own because it is for avoiding an accident that is eminent, and cannot be otherwise avoided. A normal human is not willing to commit to this in testing. When you are coming up on another vehicle or pedestrian, you are always going to lift off the accelerator, give input to the steering, or brake before the car sees it as being a collision that cannot be avoided. Congratulate yourself on not being a sadist or psychopath.

The system needs to fit all types of drivers. Tailgating, while not safe, does not mean that you are going to hit the person in front of you. It cannot be slamming on the brakes all the time, even if there is an aggressive driver behind the wheel.

The technicians at the dealership are limited as to what they can test. If a customer comes into my work (Toyota) with pre-collision system concerns I do the following:

Check if the windshield glass has been replaced, the camera could be out of adjustment.
Check all computers for any fault codes
Check for any software updates for the computers
Check for any service bulletins for PCS
Test drive the vehicle and make sure that the radar cruise and LKA work (checking operation of the sensors used for PCS)
If no problems are found, educate the customer on the benefits and limitations of the system

By performing the above, I can be pretty sure that the vehicle has no issues with the hardware the system. If the other systems that use the same sensors are working, sensors are not likely an issue. At the dealership level, we have no control over what is in the software package in the computers, we can only update the software if it is available. It is very rare that safety software needs updated,but normally will become a recall if it is. If the technicians at your dealer have done the the above, you can be confident that the system is working properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Hyundai Emergency warning/Breaking Not functioning

I have multiple replies to some of the comments based on my original statement, which was* (I'll get to that in a moment). The FEW/FEB system on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited w/Tech package, directly, does NOT work. I've had the General Manager of Hyundai in North TX test it several times and it Never even alerted of a potential warning. Hyundai's response is "It should work as designed". Literally word for word what you said, @aalflyguy.

This car was mainly used for commuting, I also have a 2015 Infiniti Q50s with their Tech Package, and their FCW/FEB works as intended and I've never had a problem.

However, I do have issues with some of the ignorant replies. #1 Shortly *after posting my original blog, a car pulled right out in front of me, then slammed on THEIR breaks so as not to hit the car in front of THEM, so, naturally as I've said all along the AEB never worked I ran into the back of the other car, and there was a 3 car pile-up. So to the dumbass who thinks their providing "advise" on tailgating, (A) I don't do that. (B) a $4000 option failed. I'm in the middle of a lawsuit with Hyundai as I type!

Secondly, to the "Lawyer" of the group at the bottom (at the time of this post) Yes, you're correct, it does state that the services are not a substitute for safe driving. Also, I've sure you've never read the owner's manual. It gives Apparent rights and wrongs for reckless driving. So, are you saying the system shouldn't work at all? Would you pay $4000 for nothing? The commercial is an oxymoron; 2 girls are driving, NOT paying any attention to the road whatsoever, their too busy looking at a Gardner (played by Ryan Renalds). Yet the car saves them and stops before a collision. Now what part of Hyundais commercial antics can legitimize 2 girls not even looking at the road, turn right around and say the system is not a substitute for safe driving?

Bottom line is if you pay for something, it should work as the owner's manual details, and I assure you Hyundai's doesn't!

Lastly, to the person who made it clear that people have been driving since the 1800's, If you can read a pie chart or know about statistics then you should know that over 79% of injuries including deaths have been REDUCED because of technology, Airbags, Seatbelts, ABS, I think you know what I mean..

I will say the Hyundai did well in my crash test; Airbags deployed, ETR triggered, and I just had sore, but it could've been worse! I didn't even have a chance to break because of an idiot OTHER driver and a faulty safety pkg system.

I'm sticking with Infiniti.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hyundai's answer was their techs could find no faults or trips in the system and coding came back clear. Fast forward 6 months, I was in a crash and Hyundai is in the middle of a settlement/lawsuit. Volvo and Mercedez have demo's of their AEB/FEB at their dealerships here in Los Analges all the time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts