Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

1. I have 2017 Hyundai Elantra it's a base model no turbo. I am going to be looking to replace my alternator soon. But I need info and help. Most of my auto parts dealers here in DFW don't have it in stock and it's special ordered. I am going to call my local Hyundai dealership and check on pricing and availability. Has anyone had Alternator issues with this model? Has anyone replaced the alternator. Looks straight forward to me. I might just buy the part and replace it myself. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line 2018 Elantra GT Sport
245 Posts
Out of warranty already? It's 5 year/60K, and transfers. The only part of a Hyundai warranty that changes from 1st to 2nd owner, is the powertrain. 10/100K for original owner, 5/60K for subsequent owners.

Also, I'll assume you've already done a battery test.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Alternator only has two wearing components, the ball bearings and the slip ring brushes. When the engine is off so is the alternator, use to be a simple mechanical switch to power it up, now done with microcontrollers that may also be the problem.

Another problem is the quality of the aluminum for the casting, over 500 grades of aluminum, Corrosion between the alternator and the base is the same as an open circuit, no alternator output current.

Another common problems is a shorted cell in the battery, six cells, one shorted. Alternator can't charge it but will overheat.

What makes you think your alternator is bad? Hopefully they didn't use Chinese bearings, but then you couldn't rotate the input sheave. And your single drive belt will be broken.

·
Registered
955 Posts
...I am going to be looking to replace my alternator soon...
Why are you looking to replace your alternator? I ask because in my experience, when an alternator gets replaced it's not something that's planned.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Point of interest, GM still calls it a generator because Chrysler termed the name alternator, actually they didn't invent it, Tesla did, same three phase, rotation field coil, fixed stator coil, a generator liked used for years, field was fixed, armature was rotated, but need current limited brushes to get the current out.

Using six diodes was standard in a three phase transformer to convert AC to DC, Chrysler copied that as well.

Elanatra alternator outputs up to 140 amperes. Do a goggle search, year make model and engine, found used ones as cheap as $57.00, rebuilts or so called rebuilts for over 400 bucks.

Could only find Hyundai parts, 240 bucks for just the pulley, wouldn't be surprised if I added up all the parts, over $3000.00. See they want 150 bucks for the voltage regulator, seems to be based on my patent back in 1984, fixed frequency variable phased output, I was using 400 Hz, Hyundai cut it down to 100. Made my company rich, I got to keep my job, cost less than a buck to manufacture, but seen them on dealers shelves for 150 bucks.

In 1965 costs $2.37 back then to make a voltage regulator, mechanical, press steel case, copper wound coil with tungsten contacts. Retail price was $4.95, but still steep if you were only earning a buck an hour. Parts today are positively insane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts