Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone walked out to your Hyundai and the trunk is open? I have the auto trunk open feature turned off but several times a week I’ll go to my car and the trunk is open. Crazy. It’s not a good thing especially if you’re at a shopping center and it opens. Next thing you know your tool bag and bug out bag is missing

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
You see your trunk open from a distance? Is it closed when you walk away? Sounds like if its opening by itself, and the remote is no where near it, need a BCM code refresh.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s closed when I walk away and neighbors have told me it was open and they close it for me. I was at a mall and it was open when I walked out. I stopped storing my bug out bag and my guns in the car until I get it fixed. Also leave my tool bag at home as well

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've noticed it a couple of times and just assumed the trunk release was pressed on the key fob while in my pocket. Need to pay more attention to this if it's a known issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called the dealer and the service manager was like, I’ve never heard that one. I’m like well your shop only has 4 stalls so I’m betting y’all don’t work on a lot of Hyundai’s

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Should have a manual release on the floor by the drivers door, Rest of it is done with an electric solenoid controlled by the remote or the switch on the back of the trunk, terminal can be pulled off the solenoid to disable it.

Am assuming is some kind of a electronic glitch and not accidentally activated by pushing the trunk button on the remote. Did have problems like this with other vehicles, remote in pocket bumping into a counter or shopping cart handle.

Remote entry has been around for a long time, had to be less than 10 feet away for them to work, with these newer vehicles, can be well over 100-200 feet away.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Your problem might be different, but my 2018’s remote doesn’t require the button for the trunk to be held for 2 or 3 seconds... as it should.

When the car was only a month old, came out to find the trunk gaping open after a full night of rain.

After that I just removed the fuse for the trunk. It’s annoying, but my trunk can only be opened with the lever on the driver’s side floor. It will NEVER open on its own again.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Your problem might be different, but my 2018’s remote doesn’t require the button for the trunk to be held for 2 or 3 seconds... as it should.

When the car was only a month old, came out to find the trunk gaping open after a full night of rain.

After that I just removed the fuse for the trunk. It’s annoying, but my trunk can only be opened with the lever on the driver’s side floor. It will NEVER open on its own again.
Your suggestion about removing the fuse is better than mine, not thinking. We have the proximity trunk opener turned on, never had a problem with it.

Our Cruze had this problem, one quick touch on the remote 300 feet away would open. Had a recall installing what they called a two shot relay in place of the conventional relay. Remote button had to be be twice within two seconds. As usual, our dealer never heard about this recall.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I had that issue a lot since first week of ownership. In my case the fob will open trunk if I sit down with fob in pocket. Solution: Wear cargo pants most of the time. I put fob in lower pocket by itself. I bought a silicone cover which helps a little. My 1st year owner survey I reported the issue to Hyundai. My fob just has a bad design.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I also bought the silicone cover (before removing the fuse) and it was effective in reducing the frequency of the trunk openings. But even once in a rainstorm is one time too many.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My problem is I have a sticky trunk cable. Sometimes the only way to open trunk is with the fob. The fuse pulling trick would not work. Hyundai dropped the ball on this one. Hopefully they will redesign the fob in the future if they have not done it yet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree. Back when the car was new I asked if they could reprogram their remote button to require either pressing for 2-3 seconds or multiple presses. They, of course, said no.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Aftermarket remotes were more intelligent, had to either hold the button for two seconds or hit it twice in a second to open a door or the trunk. That two shot relay from GM was made in the USA and carried a list price of 88 dollars. Was an identical replacement for the standard trunk release relay. Was loaded with micro circuitry on the inside.

A remote chip is like 30 cents and the case in it is not much more. Each remote chip is programmed with a different code, some have millions of different combinations. As an engineer, would have been much cheaper just to provide a new remote than that relay that required two closures, but marketing seems to have a brain shortage.

But still cheaper than lawsuits, maybe Hyundai being new here hasn't heard of lawsuits.

·
22,785 Posts
Has anyone walked out to your Hyundai and the trunk is open? I have the auto trunk open feature turned off but several times a week I’ll go to my car and the trunk is open. Crazy. It’s not a good thing especially if you’re at a shopping center and it opens. Next thing you know your tool bag and bug out bag is missing
Happened to me all the time. Maybe I leaned against the counter in the kitchen. Fob in jeans pocket. Or change in there with it. Something. Neighbor came over. Let me know my trunk was open. Frustrated beyond all sanity. Bought one of those neoprene condoms for it. Couple of bucks on eBay. Bam! Ever happened again!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Have the so-called Smart Key, never knew I could lock the remote inside of the car with the engine running and locking the drivers door with the key removed. Only way to unlock it is with the key,

I tried to open the trunk with the remote, have to hold the key on the remote for at least two seconds.

While I was at it, decided to check my battery, was laid up due to surgery it was near dead, 2.98 volts for a 2032. Found new pack of Sunbeam 2032's 3.31 volts, like new, but my remote wouldn't work. Still could unlock the door with the key, and have to use the remote to press on the start button, worked.

Found a new pack of Duracell Medical 2032's, these batteries are just a shade thicker than the Sunbeam, little clip on the PC board was not making contact with the positive side.

Wrapped up the key in a 3 cent ziplock bag, nice and tight with masking tape around it. Just have a house key on it, just in case there is a power failure and garage door doesn't open.

Took me a month to realize I never needed access to the key, so after three years, remote looks brand new.

Last vehicle with a slotted laser cut key, needed that to start the car, had a steering wheel lock on it, if the wife drove the car last, would turn the key off with the steering wheel cocked, couldn't turn the key until reverse pressure was put on the wheel.

Then pocket debris would get into that slot and the key wouldn't work at all. Had to clean that out and blow out the key hole in the steering column with compressor air.

Seems like these new kid engineers are creating new problems rather than solving old problems.

·
22,785 Posts
I agree. Back when the car was new I asked if they could reprogram their remote button to require either pressing for 2-3 seconds or multiple presses. They, of course, said no.
It’s so easy to say “No!” Saying “yes” doesn’t pay for the time it takes to do it. Assuming, of course, it is doable. I actually wouldn’t have a clue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts