Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Elantra with 46,000 miles. It has been randomly shutting off when coming to a stop. All the warning indicators lights come on. Radio shuts off. Feels like my brakes won’t stop. I have to put it in neutral and restart it. It starts right back up and all warning lights go off.
Also, as I pulled into my driveway and was coming to a stop, it felt like it was going to stall but didn’t and there was a loud ticking sound coming from the engine. This happened twice so farboth times in my driveway. I don’t remember if the ticking started before or after I put it in park. I took a video of the sound and it shows the car is in park and the RPM’s are at 400. I shut the car off and restarted it. Restarted just fine and RPM’s go up to 800.

I changed the air filter a few days ago. I’m due for oil change. Over due actually. I’ve had no other issues except the paint chipping off the hood and Hyundai repainted it because it was still under warranty.

Any suggestions on what this could be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recommend what @RykrosGT said. I would also check if the alternator is charging the battery/or if the battery is dying. You can go to any auto part store and ask for a check on battery.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Erratic operation like this can be caused by some water in the gas, also dirty or loose spark plugs. Can try a can of Heet.

Ethanol sure absorbs moisture also causes corrosion, hate this stuff and because of it, can't afford to eat a steak anymore. Using our food to feed vehicles can only be done by stupid people in office.

Major vehicle manufacturers don't want to make compact vehicles any more, low profit they claim. But does it really take an 8000 pound vehicle to haul one person? Use more than twice the fuel than a compact creating a demand for more fuel.

Fuel never costs what it cost to produce, strictly supply and demand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your torque converter is locked or locking up. That's why your brakes don't seem to work, the running engine is locked to the wheels and the car will continue to want to go forward. You end up stopping the car, and the engine cannot turn against the stopped wheels with the locked torque converter, and stalls. Dealer issue for sure. Maybe it is an electronic issue, maybe a mechanical one from within the torque converter, but either one is dealer fix. Be sure to check the transmission fluid before you bring it in. If it's low, they will blame you for not checking it.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
NicholasD what are you on? mirageman your comment about the torque converter intrigues me. Yes if the engine cuts out you should still have one maybe two good stops left. Have you come across it before?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If it is a transmission issue I would just take it to the dealer and skip checking fluid level. Gone are the days where checking transmission fluid was as easy as checking oil level. Hope the dealership finds the issue right away. Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
NicholasD what are you on? mirageman your comment about the torque converter intrigues me. Yes if the engine cuts out you should still have one maybe two good stops left. Have you come across it before?
NicholasD is elaborating on his valid points about ethanol. He's "on" experience and knowledge. I personally enjoy and learn from his tangents and side notes. Like a savant type of professor who opens up his mind for all to learn from his thought process. That said, the torque converter has the same job as a clutch in a manual transmission. If the torque converter is locked, it acts just like a clutch that is engaged, that is to say the engine is coupled to the transmission and will continue to turn the wheels. When the person tries to stop, the engine is still trying to turn the wheels. Brakes are working, but fighting the drive of the engine. Harder to stop, as original post states.

·
Registered
73 Posts
He's old, he's a MAGA...and I don't see his 5hit

Anything constructive to say, intercontinental champion with thousands of posts and reverts to childish name calling? What's a MAGA? "Make America Great Again"? He's a "Make America Great Again"? Go post a few thousand garbage posts in a forum where that "5hit" is welcomed. This forum is for helping and discussions about our vehicles.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
OK on NikolasD's comments yes I find them ammusing. My question to you was have you had experience with your statement that it is the lockup torque converter?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Never Asked Mikki75 if she was using ethanol gas, daughter was with her Kia thinking she was saving money, but was costing her extra due to poor fuel economy.

Ethanol and gasoline are heterogeneous meaning they don't mix to form a new chemical, Ethanol is heavier than gas, settles to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump picks it up first leaving very low octane fuel to wreck your engine.

Some people hear can't read, never said anything about a torque converter lockup, if anything, they slip like crazy, you step on the gas and don't go anywhere.

Most common problem this year is water in the fuel and is quite erratic depending on where you live. Law says gasoline tanks at gas stations must be buried underground, where water and seep in.

Son filled up and got water from a trip back from Milwaukee, we stopped at several convenience stores, could buy beer, but no cans of Heet.

I also got water in my tanks in my motorhome, had to pull over, disconnect the fuel lines, have my wife run an auxiliary electric fuel pump I installed, to pump it out. At 1:00 AM in the morning when it was raining. We made it home.

·
Registered
73 Posts
(whatever, Groucho) I stick with my diagnosis of a locking torque converter, but it is odd that the radio would turn off when this happens, though. You sure about that Mikki? Radio should only turn off with the key. Do you have a key for ignition or a button? If you have a button....I'd also wonder about some computer glitch having a role. Maybe a free "check engine light" scan at Autozone could show a pending code, one that hasn't happened enough times to trigger the check engine light. You said all the warning lights go off when you restart, but you just might have a pending code that could be read by a scan tool at Autozone.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have no problem with your torque-lock hypothesis...sounds logical to me. :geek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts