Hyundai Forums banner

2017 Elantra SE alarm randomly going off

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  NicholasD 
#1 ·
Just want to start off by saying hello to everyone, I've been a periodic lurker here for a while now, but finally made an account tonight.
As the title states, the alarm on my 2017 Elantra SE started randomly going off. We've had quite a few break-ins in my area and I just figured it was someone trying to open the doors...
After checking the area and finding no one, I locked the car and watched it for a few minutes. Sure enough, the alarm started going off by itself. I opened and closed each door, the hood, and the trunk and the problem still persisted.
After watching a youtube video, I tried finding the hood tamper switch, but couldn't as it is dark here or its one of those that's integrated in the latch. Instead of agitating my neighbors thru the night and possibly waking up to a dead battery, I decided to lock all the doors manually and disconnect the battery. This obviously solved the issue temporarily. I do have a few questions though. Is there a sensor for each door handle for the outside? I don't believe there's one on the outside handles because when I first bought the car, I tested each outside handle when the alarm was armed and the alarm wouldn't go off. I did however find out that if the alarm was armed and the handle was opened from the inside, it would trigger the alarm...HMMMM...

Here's the curve ball.

Every door handle besides the driver's door handle has been replaced... TWICE! Yes you read that correctly, TWICE! (under warranty thankfully)
My question is, does anyone know if the dealer will cover something like this? The car has 55k miles on it and should still be under the "60k bumper to bumper warranty". I put that in quotes because they haven't exactly covered everything bumper to bumper... (a headlight and brake light went out and condensation in the rear tail lights were not covered by the warranty... no biggie really, easy fix) Besides the door handles and the lights / foggy assembly, the car has been great. Does anyone have any experience with the dealer and this issue? I've done an advanced search and went through a few pages and couldn't find anything...any answers to this thread or links to threads with the same issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time for reading my post!

See less See more
#4 ·
It started to happen to my wife's car as well since we got the car back from the dealership on Saturday. Sunday the alarm went off by itself during rain. Monday morning when my wife drove to work it warned her that the Hood was opened.

#6 ·
Took a peek at my shop manual, six switches, four doors, hood or trunk can trigger it, has a rather complex anti-theft module with a microprocessor with more flash ram, could need a refresh. With circuits from the front to the rear of the vehicle, could be a wiring problem anywhere, lots of connectors.

You have a key that doesn't work? Someone tamper with your lock? Did that key ever work?

Can still break a door window with an ice pick and unlock from the inside, opinion on anti-theft, more effective in keeping the rightful owner from starting their vehicles than preventing theft. And if they do wipe your vehicle, will also get all of your problems with it.

Sure don't want to install train horns in your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.