Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra, fresh out of warranty, and the rear door on the driver's side will not open from inside or out. I do not know how to fix this since the door panel will need to come off. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Try flipping the child-lock latch on the inside outer edge, see if that helps or clicks something back into place.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Wonder about electric door locks, a DC motor rotating a gear on a rack, and with these newer vehicles doors are automatically locked and unlocked when you start to move or put in park, they wear out or a fuse can be blown.

But each door by the door handle has a manual release, did you try that? With child safety locks, only the inside handle is disabled, outside handle should still work. Some vehicles have an electric child door lock, Elantra is strictly manual with a screwdriver, but only can be unlocked or locked with the door opened., but again, only the inside is disabled, outside must work so a fireman or other person can open the door. Never had this problem with my kids nor with even taking required medication, had to force them. So much for child proof lids or more like adult proof lids.

Also had vehicles with suicide doors, a lot easier to get in or out. You just don't open them going 100 mph.

Much easier to remove the door panel when the door is opened, more access can be ganged by moving the front seats far forward and removing the lower back seat cushion. But appears to be a pain to get some kind of crow bar under the panel, do have plastic crow bars for stuff like this.

Another option would be to visit a good locksmith, they have hack saw type blades for removing the locks from the outside window.

Let us know what your problem is, if it happened to you can happen to any or all of us.

·
Registered
688 Posts
could be a lazy actuator, stuck in locked. Have you tried manually unlocking and locking the door a bunch of times, either using the mechanical lock on the door or the driver's seat power locks?
If all else fails, do a search on youtube for how to open a car door without using the door handles. I bet there's something there.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
You can buy thin air bags that you slip between the glass and the door frame. Pump it up and you can gain access to the rods that operate the lock mechanisms. Road service use them frequently if not you will probably destroy the door trim trying to get access.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Can you get the trim off without destroying it? They usually overlap the door pillars and you usually need to have the door open to get it off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The cheap plastic connection broke. Had two doors fail on my 2017 in warranty. Hyun fixed it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
The cheap plastic connection broke. Had two doors fail on my 2017 in warranty. Hyun fixed it

Was a recall on loose screws that held in the outside door handle. At the handle level and at the rear edge of all four doors is about a one inch diameter grommet. That can be removed to tighten those screws.

Can on think of one person that pulled on this outside drivers door handle, and it was in his hand. But doesn't sound like this is the poster's problem.

Now talking about cheap plastic couplers in the door locking mechanism, this is new to me.

Was playing with my rear child locks on my old Cadillac, closed the door with those enabled and could not get out. Had to craw over the front seats to get out, but back then the head restrains were much lower. This would be a problem in the Elantra with those high head restrains. Power windows, they don't work with the ignition off nor with a dead battery if caught outside with your windows down.

With the power sunroof, no crank in the event of no power or a defective switch. 4th vehicle with a power sun roof, first three had a manual crank. Elantra does not have one, think ten times before opening it.

Old engineering axiom, solve one problem and create new ones in the process.

No power cannot remove the gear shift out of park, if you have to push your Elantra off the road. Does have a plug to the left of it, was impossible to remove. Had to removed the center console and push it out from the inside. Really a sharp click on the edges, filed those down so I could remove it from the top. Also need a screwdriver or some kind of a stick or rod to push that lever down to get it out of park.

When I took my driver's license test in the last century, had to turn the front wheels in downhill or out uphill, gear in neutral, and parking brake on. If you left it in gear and somebody bumped you, could wreck your transmission.

Guess what would happen if someone bumped your Elantra in park?

·
Registered
129 Posts
On mine the interior door handle would not work. Had to drop the window and use the external. Initially multiple pulls would open the door but that failed to work sheet a bit. The small plastic link that binds the interior handles pull rod to the release mechanism is what failed. The exterior continued to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra back door will not open from inside or out car has too many miles on it to be under warranty this is definitely a safety recall from what I see or should be anyway as of right now still can't get the **** door open

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had two lock mechanisms fail they were fixed under warranty but are $160 each plus install if you are out of warranty. Very common failures as my dealer stocks em all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts