Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 2nd fob for my car but really do not want to spend a ton of money.

CQOFD00120

is the code number. 4 button with slide in key.

Want to know if "locked" fobs can be reprogrammed. Can used ones be reprogrammed?

I found a few on E*ay but am leery about buying a used one unless I know for sure they can be reprogrammed

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
According to the shop manual, you start by plugging in the GDS into the diagnostic connector.

No sense in going further unless you have a GDS, lock smiths have a different tool.

Depending how much chasing around you want to do, your dealer is the fastest way. I live in a smaller town, if I want the key with the smart key as Hyundai calls it, would have to drive to Minneapolis that would kill a whole day.

Depending on your dealer, they are able to give you the best price. Should only take them about a minute.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Usually the seller will provide a guarantee of some kind. I think I may have read threads here about what the limits are, on whether a key can be programmed a second time to work with a different vehicle. I cannot remember what they said, but some searching might turn up the answer. The owner's manual does state that a maximum of two smart keys can be registered to a single vehicle.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Ever since remote chips came out, the code was burnt into the chip, and unchangeable. The vehicle had to learn that code.

All kinds of weird means were imposed to copy the remote code, in a Ford, the drivers door had to be opened and closed within 15 seconds for the car to learn the code. Some you hit the brake then the gas pedal in a sequence.

With the Hyundai, need a GDS scanner, up to date with your VIN number.

Code is stored in EEPROM electrically erasable programmable read only memory, and has such this memory can be lost.

Use to apply 12 volts from a switch to the top of an ignition coil connected to a set of points back to ground to get a spark to start your engine. Simple, easy to repair.

Today, the signal literally goes through millions of micron sized transistors buried in a chip to get that spark or now an injector pulse. If one in a million goes bad will be stranded. As Much as I know about this stuff, carry towing insurance.

With compact or no spares, can be tied down for a holiday weekend because of a nail. Sure making us dependent. Towing insurance doesn't help, may have to spend your weekend in some isolated motel waiting for a tire shop to open that has bankers hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts