Hyundai Forums banner

2017 Elantra Blinker issues

8K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  NicholasD 
#1 ·
New to the forum so hopefully this is posted in the right spot. I just bought a 2017 Elantra Se and the left turn signal flashes really fast. I tried replacing the bulb and it is still doing the same thing. After looking more here's what I've noticed, with no lights on the right blinker flashes normally while the left (drivers side) blinks fast. With the daytime lights and no blinkers the right side is much more dim than the left side. With lights on and right blinker, it flashes normally. With lights on and left blinker you can see it blinking but barely because of how bright the daytime light is. So what it looks like to me is something is flipped making the opposite filament turn on for the left side. It seems like the daytime light should be the dim filament and the blinker comes on with the bright filament. Do you guys have any idea where to start looking for something like this? Ive done some searches but couldn't find anything that matched up to my issues. Thank you

#2 ·
Purchased ours new, always like to carry replacement running light bulbs. Can download the owners manual, but found that very confusing for the bulb type. Wanted to add silicone to all those rubber gaskets so removed all the bulbs and read the number off of them.

Least Hyundai is still using bayonet type bulbs, who ever invented wedge types should be shot, they fall out.

Since your right side is working properly, check the number of that bulb and make sure the left one has the same number. Also check your tail lamps. As I recall, a couple of 10 mm screws have to be removed from inside the trunk. Sure made that tail lamp assembly difficult to remove with the screws removed. Front plunger fit into a very tight grommet, opened that up with silicone, no reason to be that tight. Also have a vacuum type puller, guys that tried to pry theirs out with a screwdriver broke edges off their tail lamp housings, not cheap.

#7 ·
Helpful if you mentioned all you did in your first post, Hyundai uses the terminology "turn signals" and the main controller for flash rates is the "Smart Junction Box", not sure about the SE, but a quick flip of the turn signal level will cause the turn signal lamps to flash either 3 or four times depending on how you program it.

Then the hazard warning switch flashes both left and right turn signal lamps even with the ignition switch, how is this working for you in terms of flash rate?

If all the bulbs are correct turn signal bulbs draws 2.1 amperes, could be a problem with the software in the Smart Junction Box. With the Limited, I can reflash the Limited at home by connecting the car to my WiFi. Only the dealer can do the engine computer, must be some weird EPA rule because the are weird.

Hyundai also has a GDS kind of scanner for determining problems.

Both the turn signal and hazard warning us point contact switches, contacts could be dirty. Could work these several times.

#8 ·
The flash rate is fine with the hazards on. Ive tried every combination of working bulb and socket in the side that is giving me trouble. The issue is the opposite contact is getting power. The blinker should get the brighter filament to come on while the Parking light should get the dimmer one. However I am getting the opposite.

#13 ·
...The issue is the opposite contact is getting power. The blinker should get the brighter filament to come on while the Parking light should get the dimmer one. However I am getting the opposite.
Perhaps a previous owner tried to make a modification, or the vehicle was repaired, and it was put back together incorrectly. If that is the case, it sounds like you might just need to switch the wires.

#10 ·
So what it looks like to me is something is flipped making the opposite filament turn on for the left side.
What this sounds like to me is a poor ground connection on the front left bulb holder. That's the most likely explanation as to why both the turn signal and the daytime light are not working properly. Both filaments of the bulb share the same ground.

The problem could just be a poor connection on the bulb holder. You mentioned in an earlier post that you had swapped bulbs from right to left. Did you swap over the bulbs still in their holders or did you remove the bulbs to swap them? If you didn't swap over the bulb holders I would try that next to see if the fault migrates to the right side of the car. If it does you know the fault is within that bulb holder.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

#11 ·
Think your SE is the same as my Limited, been buying bulbs for a long time and seem to have a collection.

The front directional bulbs use a 1156A bulb that is a single filament Amber colored lens, the base of the bulb should be chrome plated brass bayonet style and only has one soldered tab on the bottom.

Owned many vehicles with amber coated lens, don't ask me why Hyundai is using a clear lens, but have Sylvania Bulbs from my 92 DeVille left over that were made in the USA.

Just suggesting, if yours were made in China, this could well be your problem, we been screwed with China crap for 20 years now.

Rear bulbs a 1157A, again an amber bulb with a clear lens, but a double filament bulb, where the lock in side pins are even on the 1156A they are offset on the 1157a, would really be difficult to install this bulb in backwards. Has a thin element for the tail lamps, kind of redundant since the tail lamps are super bright LEDS, it only draws 0.75 amperes.

The fat filament is the directional in the 1157A bulb, draws 2.2 amperes, quite a bit brighter. If a ground problem, both elements would be dim.

Removing the tail lamp assembly is awkward at least have all those lamp sockets, not the strongest wire in the world, don't let it hang, should remove all the lamp sockets as not to stress these wires holding it upward and removing the lamp sockets one at a time with the other hand.

Something is not right, hope this helps. Read about people getting shot by a cop with a bad tail lamp or a directional bulb not working.

Don't want to give away my age, but had over a dozen cars, where I had to roll down the window and give hand signals before directional signals became standard. Not sure if this is legal today.

And back then last place you wanted to take your car for directional signal problems was a mechanic, really way too complicated for them.

#14 ·
Haven't seen my tail lamp dual filament bayonet socket in four years, I know on some of them the fiber board that hold the two crimped on terminals can be popped out with a spring, and can be pushed in backwards. Fiber board should be cured.

Guess number two, someone wrecked the original socket, practically any parts dealer sells these and wired it in backwards. Most don't solder, just twist and tape them, prefer to solder and use shrinkable tubing.

Guess number three, a trailer hitch connector was added and perhaps removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.