Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The system worked perfectly for 2-1/2 years. Granted, the trunk never opened more than an inch or two at best on its own no matter how I initiated the unlatching, but the smart trunk sensor worked well and the trunk always unlatched after five beeps. Six months ago, though, it started to malfunction. After initially unlatching itself, it continued the 5xbeep+unlatch cycle while I loaded or unloaded the trunk. Over and over it would do this, as if it didn't sense that it was already open. I took it in for service at the dealership a couple months ago - - and they blamed it on me! They said that by occasionally pressing the pad under the logo to open it manually while it was beeping was "confusing" it, and that if I didn't want to wait for the five beeps I needed to use the key fob button to pop it sooner. ???? Ummmm..... no. I'm no car mechanic, but that's not the problem.

Further evidence: I put their suggestion to the test over the following few weeks, and found that even when I used the key fob to pop it, it would continue to beep and try to re-unlatch itself for as long as the key was in close proximity. They ignored my comment that, about the same time this problem started, the trunk light stopped working. I tested the bulb; it's fine. Coincidence? I don't know - but they didn't fix that, either.

Yesterday, as I approached the trunk with my hands full of grocery bags, it beeped five times and unlatched, I used my elbow (as usual) to work the lid open enough to get inside (as it continued to beep and unlatch), deposited my groceries, and then I gave the lid a push shut. It bounced back up! I thought maybe I'd inadvertently blocked the latch - but no. I tried again several times without luck; the trunk wouldn't latch. I ended up driving home with it unlatched and bouncing (mostly at low level, fortunately). My husband gave it a try when I got home and he could't fix it, either. I've got a service call scheduled for tomorrow morning.

I really feel like this has to be a failing fuse or something else that's gotten progressively worse over the last six months, but I don't understand how the system works and how the light fits into the picture (or if it does). Mechanics love to take advantage of my lack of technical knowledge, so I'd like to go into the appointment tomorrow knowing enough that they're at least somewhat less likely to be able to mess with me. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the most likely causes of my trunk problems are, and what I should expect (ballpark) for parts and labor to repair the problem? Are there any other functions on this same circuit?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'd start with the switch that senses that the trunk is open. If may not be telling the computer the trunk has opened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd start with the switch that senses that the trunk is open. If may not be telling the computer the trunk has opened.
Thanks for the reply!

I took the car into the dealership for servicing yesterday. They determined that it was the entire latch assembly and it was replaced at no charge. The trunk now closes again, the "smart trunk" feature again works as expected, and the light works. Notes from the mechanic say that the part "shorted out."

I've read that this part is notoriously faulty in the Sonata. Hoping this is the last time I have to deal with it!

FOOTNOTE: I did mention that the trunk wasn't "hands free" since it didn't open far enough on its own to access the trunk. They (obviously) didn't have any Azeras on the lot, but they tried other 2017 models with the smart trunk function and found that they didn't open any further than mine. "They all malfunction equally, so I shouldn't worry about it???" I asked. "Yep, pretty much" was the reply. :confused:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The "trunk open" switch is typically part of the latch assembly and probably was defective. That would make the Smart Trunk computer think the trunk was still closed.

The Smart Trunk feature can be of two types. One type that just activates the trunk latch and another type that activates the latch and power opens (and closes) the trunk with an electric motor. Hyundai has both types, depending on the model. Typically the power openers are on SUV cargo hatches. That is why some owners, and dealers, are confused when a latch-only type doesn't also fully open the trunk. The Azera has the latch-only type and not the power open/close type. So it is functioning normally now this it is fixed. If you want to have your trunk open more fully, you can possibly add an aftermarket spring to increase the upward force like this Sonata owner did: Trunk mod - no more partially open trunk!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great explanation; thanks! They probably shouldn't call it "hands free" if an inch or two is the intent, though. :sneaky: Will be interesting to see if it goes to court with the Sonata suit or if they settle.
What a great solution the spring is! I'll have to examine the trunk more closely to see if that would work. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts