Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my tires on my AD limited

225-45-17 is stock

I have the stock rims and do not want to change them.

Can someone tell me if 235-50-17 will fit and not have issues with clearance.

I asked TireRack and they said to measure. Well, isnt that what they are for? They sell tires

Would like to fill the wheel arches AND have a bit more sidewall rubber since my city has more pot holes than people

Yokohama Avid Ascend GT tires are rated highly. Was going to do a General Altamax RT43 but a lot of people complaining about thin sidewalls

I do drive fast and "spirited" so I thought that the Yokos would be a good match.

Anyone have other tires that the recommend I am open to listen.

Looking at all season touring tire with very good snow and wet traction

Thank you

·
Registered
721 Posts
Tire Rack will recommend the stock size, or the recommended sizes, Period. So would I.
Some cars have some optional sizes, but this one doesn't. From your post it looks like you are looking for a wider, lower profile tire, but you want it to be able to have very good snow and wet traction as well. As soon as you make the tire fatter, you are sacrificing traction, so I think your expectations may be unrealistic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire Rack will recommend the stock size, or the recommended sizes, Period. So would I.
Some cars have some optional sizes, but this one doesn't. From your post it looks like you are looking for a wider, lower profile tire, but you want it to be able to have very good snow and wet traction as well. As soon as you make the tire fatter, you are sacrificing traction, so I think your expectations may be unrealistic.
A size higher and a size wider. Overall this should be 1.2" higher and 0.4" wider. Just need to know if they will fit on this rim 16Jx7

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would bet they rub on turns. Its hard to say till you try them. The wheel well is tight and the extra width and height doesnt sound like a good combo. 235-50-17 usually fit on a 16.5" to 18.5" rim but each manuftaure has there own range you will need to look into.

You spirted driving will also take a hit sense you are actually gearing car higher. You speed will also tell you are going slower than you are.

I would personal go with 215 50 17 for your wants. Gives you .25" more rubber between tire and road. But losses .2" inch on witdh on each side of tire to compensate for height. You would get better handling in snow and rain with the slightly narrower track. You will still be geared higher so you might loss some peep and you will be going faster than Speedo says.

Let us know if you try 235-50-17, should fit rim but you can find that out before purchase. Try the one I recommended or stick with factory.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had the same thoughts as OP with my 17 E Ltd, but gave up on the idea. Tire Clearance is not just a static issue, but a dynamic one (suspension and tires move during 'spirited' driving). It's almost impossible to guarantee adequate clearance with an oversize tire under absolutely all possible driving conditions (like hard braking while turning). Every tire shop I talked to said that the options are either a softer riding tire in the stock size (read TireRack, CR, others for objective testing) OR getting replacement 16" wheels in 205/55 R16 (and selling off the stock wheels). Trying to fit a larger tire on those stock 17in rims was NOT recommended. Any gains in ride or traction are likely to be minimal at best, and all it takes is ONE minor clearance issue to blow a tire .....and possibly cause a crash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts