Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can an accent that came with 195/60r16 summer tires/wheels use 175/70r14 winter tires/wheels? Both sizes are listed as OEM for this car. I assume they both use the same size brakes which should be the main concern but am not certain. Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
yes. Accent GS models with the 14" steel wheels came with drum brakes in the rear after the 2012 model year, but the 14" wheels clear the front discs. No way are the rear rotors going to be bigger than the fronts. Also the 2012 GS had the 14" wheels and discs all around. Aftermarket steel 14" wheels tend to run half an inch wider than the oem Hyundai steelies. So they probably have even more clearance. I found that out after buying an aftermarket steel wheel from tirerack, having a spare 175-70-14 tire mounted on it and discovering it would not sit down in the spare tire well with the cover flush over it. The original 14" wheels are only 5.0 wide and do fit in there fine with 175 width tires on them.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My Santa Fe has 18" and I put 16's on for the winter, going to do the same with the kids Accent. Get hub centric rims would be my only advice, hate the universal fit ones. You just end up with a "taller" tire

·
Registered
12 Posts
They should work just fine, my 2012 Accent came with the 14" steelies stock, and I went out and bought the OEM 16" alloys and they work just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. 14" tires are so much cheaper than 16s and narrower usually performs better in the winter from my experience as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You probably know this already but I thought I'd add that there are a couple of other measurements to bear in mind while wheel/tire shopping: the hub diameter, or center bore, for the Accent wheel is 54.1mm and the bolt pattern is 4x100.

That hub diameter is about as small as they make these days. Sometimes wheels that are otherwise compatible with our car have 73, 72 or 67 mm center bores for the wheel hub. Despite the mismatch of center bore size they can be used with hub centering rings to adapt the larger bore down to the size of our cars' wheel hubs. The adapter ring centers the wheel correctly as you mount it on the car. If you use wheels with a larger center bore than stock without centering rings you are likely to have vibrations at highway speeds because the wheels will be mounted slightly off center. I have to use centering rings with my 16" alloy aftermarket wheels b/c the hub diameter on them was 73mm. Our car has 4 mounting studs placed 100mm apart, hence it's listed as a 4x100 bolt pattern (or PCD). An aftermarket wheel with a 4x100 pattern might also have a second set of holes for 4x108. If you get wheels with dual bolt patterns, it's sometimes necessary to use skinnier than normal lug nuts because the cavities around the wheel studs will be smaller than usual to accommodate the second bolt pattern.

The spare 14" wheel I bought had the same hub diameter as stock and didn't need a centering adapter. Sometimes wheels have more than one set of holes for the mounting studs. Looking around there seems to be a better selection of steel wheels for the Accent now than there was when I wanted a spare. Amazon has some with the exact right hub diameter, 4x100 bolt pattern and stock width* (5.5") for $60 US shipping included. I'm sure that wasn't available back when I was shopping years ago. The same maker (road ready wheels) also has an aluminum 14" wheel that looks like a reduced size copy of the Accent's 16" alloy wheel for $90.

* I mistakenly said before that the Accent's 14" wheel has a 5.0" width. It's 5.5". The spare steel wheel I bought was 6.0" wide, which isn't a problem mounting a 175-70-14 tire, but it just won't fit in the spare tire well if the wheel is 6" wide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wondering what the biggest tire size the accent can handle safely?

I read here that someone used a 195/70/14? Unsure if this is stock rim?

Is there a max tire Diameter/ Width?

I found the 14" tires are cheaper but the Hyundai 16" are rare find and Aftermarker
are easier to buy.

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Other than tyre size and diameter size etc. , you need to select a correct rim offset size too. The tyre must not be protrude out of the wheel well, otherwise whenever you are in load or passing truth a road hump, the tyre will grind against edges of wheel well.

·
Registered
2014 Accent Hatchback
85 Posts
Just wondering what the biggest tire size the accent can handle safely?

I read here that someone used a 195/70/14? Unsure if this is stock rim?

Is there a max tire Diameter/ Width?

I found the 14" tires are cheaper but the Hyundai 16" are rare find and Aftermarker
are easier to buy.

Cheers! :)
I got 185/70/R14s on mine. no issues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.